Home arrow Forums arrow News & Views arrow Dan Rush: UFCW Organizer Indicted

Dan Rush: UFCW Organizer Indicted

page: 1, 2  next
SharynS
Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:20 pm

FBI: Marijuana Union Organizer {Dan Rush } Took Bribes, Rigged Process
Quote:
In the meantime, the details of the indictment — yet another local corruption investigation by the FBI — are stunning.

A warrant for Rush's arrest has been issued following his indictment in federal court on August 10.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:30 pm

Does anyone know how many black marks a union organization (ufcw) can get before they label it a crime syndicate?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Quote:
Here's how it all fell apart: Terbeek flipped on Rush in January of this year, following Andersen and Kaufman going to the FBI in 2012 and 2013, according to the FBI.

I wonder what other names Terbeek dropped while "flipping" on Rush? I bet there's some bunghole puckering going on inside Local 5 & the IU as we speak.

It wouldn't surprise me if Rush was found floating face down in some river somewhere in the near future.

Last edited by Scott Schroeder on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top profile :: pm
John Briley
Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:20 pm

Quote:
I wonder what other names Terbeek dropped while "flipping" on Rush? I bet there's some bunghole puckering going on inside Local 5 & the IU as we speak.
Speaking of UFCW Local 5, it takes them forever to update their respective members as to the status of their contract negotiations with their individual Employers. Yet in this instance, Local 5 took immediate action to distance UFCW Local 5 from Mr. Rush once the story hit the newspaper on August 13, 2015.

Check out Local 5's "official" statement.
Quote:
http://ufcw5.org/ufcw-local-5-statement-on-the-indictment-of-dan-rush/

UFCW Local 5 Statement on the Indictment of Dan Rush

August 14, 2015

Dan Rush, a former employee of the UFCW International Union, was recently indicted on violations of the Taft-Hartley Act.

After the merger that formed UFCW Local 5 in 2007 Rush was hired to work on various projects for the union. Rush was subsequently hired by the UFCW International Union in 2014 to head up their cannabis division. When a new administration was sworn into office at UFCW Local 5 on December 1, 2014 a communication was sent to Rush, on January 8, 2015, requesting that he transfer membership to a local in the Washington DC area.

The indictment of Dan Rush in no way reflects negatively on the hard-working members of Local 5. The union represents nearly 30,000 members employed primarily in retail grocery & meat, retail, agriculture and food processing. They work hard every day to provide for their families and the union works hard every day to represent their interests. The sordid details of the indictment are diametrically opposed to the objectives and mission of Local 5 and its members. Rush has not worked for Local 5 for a long time and upon taking office the new administration requested he transfer locals.

John Briley
Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:27 pm

Quote:
UFCW Local 5 Medical Cannabis & Hemp Division

Organization

https://www.facebook.com/Local5MCHD
Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Food_and_Commercial_Workers

National Medical Cannabis and Hemp Division

On May 29, 2010, hundreds of California medical-marijuana industry workers voted to become UFCW Local 5 members. They included workers at Oaksterdam University, the Oaksterdam Gift Shop, the Blue Sky Coffee Shop/Dispensary, the Bulldog Coffee Shop, AMCD Dispensaries Inc, and the Patient ID Center, all in Oakland. Soon after the workers at Medi-Cone Farms of California, joined the union.

Between memorial Day weekend 2010 and June 2011, hundreds more joined across California, including Humboldt Bay Wellness Center and 707 Cannabis College in the Emerald Triangle of the California north coast.

The industry was originally targeted for organizing by then, UFCW Local 5, statewide special operations director, Dan Rush. The international union realized that the industry consisted of the union's core industries, retail pharmacy and healthcare, agriculture, food processing and textiles-with hemp.

In September 2011, some of Colorado’s industry associations of legal-compliant marijuana sellers, representing 8,000 people, voted to join the UFCW. The labor union, which traditionally bargains mostly with grocery and meat-packing companies, solidified the national division that had over a thousand members in Colorado and California by that time.

John Briley
Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Dan Rush
Quote:

http://www.netrootsnation.org/profile/dan-rush/

Dan Rush is the National Director for the Medical Cannabis and Hemp Division of the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW). A native of Oakland California, Mr. Rush is a medical cannabis industry pioneer and authority. Dan is the spokesperson for the Californians to Regulate Medical Marijuana and the board secretary of the Coalition for Cannabis Policy Reform (CCPR).

Previously Dan was the Special Operations Director for UFCW Local 5 (UFCW5, a 35,000 member BI-State Local Union in California and Arizona). In 2010 he established UFCW5’s Cannabis Division and organized the very first union members in the medical cannabis industry.

Since 1996 Dan Rush has been the Executive Secretary Treasurer of Instituto Laboral de la Raza, a San Francisco based workers resource center for unorganized, mono-lingual, immigrant working families in California (see www.ilaboral.org).

Dan oversees and coordinates the Instituto’s annual National Labor-Community Awards in San Francisco, which is the largest event of its kind in the United States.

Dan has dedicated his career to assisting mono-lingual Latin immigrant working families, and has done so since his days (in the early 1980’s) with the Teamsters, where he worked as a Dues Collector in the fields and packing sheds of the Salinas, Imperial and Yuma Valleys.

Dan Rush is an Elected 15th AD Central Committee Delegate of the California Democratic Party. He is the former Political Director of UFCW 120, and the retired Sergeant at Arms of the Central Labor Council of Alameda County.

John Briley
Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:50 pm

Quote:
Does anyone know how many black marks a union organization (ufcw) can get before they label it a crime syndicate?
@ Sharyn,..... Great question!

For those of us who've been around a long time ask ourselves that question all the time. Based on the ongoing bad behavior from within the UFCW I.U. and Local Unions, how much longer before the Feds step in and takeover the UFCW like they've done before with the Teamsters?
Quote:
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1988-07-02/news/8802080890_1_million-member-union-teamsters-union-funds

Government Trustee For Teamsters Is A Drastic, But Appropriate, Step

July 2, 1988

SharynS
Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:06 pm

Just remember folks, small cold beady eyes says nothing about whether or not someone would rob his own grandmother for personal gain. Rolling Eyes

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:41 pm

Let the fun begin!

Terra Tech's (TRTC) CEO Derek Peterson, is first out the gate to (try to?) distance themselves from the scene of the crime. More specifically, from perpetrator Rush.

Emphasis is mine.
Quote:
"It was important for me to make clear to the community our involvement in the recent news reports about Dan Rush. After I met Mr. Rush it was apparent the he was using his position as an executive with the UFCW to personally monetize his activities.
Wonder who else we'll hear from as the investigation grows.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:33 pm

Here's some more info re: Dan Rush:

Quote:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/LegalizationNation/archives/2015/08/13/breaking-oakland-pot-union-bribery-scandal-exposed

THURSDAY, AUGUST 13, 2015

Updated: Oakland Pot Union Bribery Scandal Exposed

An FBI affidavit alleges that Oakland union official Dan Rush took hundreds of thousands of dollars in payoffs from medical cannabis industry members.

By David Downs

Excerpt:

The FBI's Public Corruption and Civil Rights Squad has filed a bombshell complaint against a leading figure in the California marijuana legalization movement. Ex-United Food and Commercial Workers Union organizer Dan Rush of Oakland could face federal charges for allegedly taking bribes and kickbacks, and undermining unionization efforts.

According to the unsealed affidavit, Rush took a bunch of money from members of the pot industry, including prominent figures in Oakland, and when he couldn’t pay it back, he started selling union endorsements and methods to subvert unionization.

Below are some highlights, all of which are alleged in the unsealed complaint:

Here's the affidavit:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/274426176/Dan-Rush-Filing

SharynS
Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:43 pm

Nice JB, and here's the video with Dan Rush introducing but a few of his ufcw local 5 friends.

The good news here would be that all the ufcw Local 5 folks in the video know how to line-up.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:32 am

When it rains it pours,....
Quote:
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Oakland-union-official-took-bribes-from-pot-6441534.php

Oakland union official allegedly took bribes from pot outfits

By Henry K. Lee Updated 2:59 pm, Thursday, August 13, 2015

Excerpt:

Rush has been fired from the union, said spokeswoman Amber Sparks.

“What Mr. Rush has been accused of is not only shocking to us, it is a betrayal for what we at the UFCW stand for,” she said. “Going forward, the UFCW will undertake a full review of Rush’s activities to determine if any worker or their family were adversely affected by his activities and, if so, take appropriate corrective action.”

Question,...... Who is UFCW spokeswoman Amber Sparks? Does anyone know?

@ Sharyn,....
Quote:
Wonder who else we'll hear from as the investigation grows.
The above article briefly touches on your question.
Quote:
Excerpt:

An investigation by the FBI included a review of bank statements, secretly recorded phone conversations and testimony by witnesses cooperating with the agency, authorities said.
Quote:
secretly recorded phone conversations
Yep,... I would bet that there are some UFCW folks who's assholes are puckering right about now!

A strong possibility might be UFCW Local 770. Last time I looked, Local 770 was a big player with the UFCW I.U. Cannabis Industry.
Quote:
UFCW Local 770 Cannabis Division
http://www.ufcw770.org/cannabis?page=4

John Briley
Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:11 am

Quote:
Question,...... Who is UFCW spokeswoman Amber Sparks? Does anyone know?
Answer.

UFCW I.U. Assistant Communications Director.
Quote:
Here is the link for the DOL Website to obtain LM2 Reports.

http://kcerds.dol-esa.gov/query/getOrgQry.do

UFCW I.U.'s LM2 File Number is 000-056.

Note: Since I do not know the specific policy as it pertains to each individual's expenses, allowances, etc., I will be using their “total amount” of monies listed on each of their LM2 Report's.

Please refer to each individual's respective yearly LM2 report for their “detailed amount” of allowances, disbursements, etc.

I apologize in advance for any inadvertent errors or omissions and the applicable LM2 Report for each individual shall govern.

(2014 LM2 Report)

SPARKS, AMBER N
Asst Communications Dir
$91,882 $0 $2,524 $0 $94,406

(2013 LM2 Report)

SPARKS, AMBER N
Manager, New Media
$81,538 $0 $2,244 $0 $83,782

(2012 LM2 Report)

SPARKS, AMBER N
Manager, New Media
$81,523 $0 $3,375 $0 $84,898

(2011 LM2 Report)

SPARKS, AMBER N
MANAGER, NEW MEDIA
$63,492 $0 $4,683 $0 $68,175

(2010 LM2 Report)

SPARKS, AMBER N
ASSISTANT TO THE DIRECTOR
$62,650 $0 $3,443 $0 $66,093
I wonder when we can expect a detailed explanation form our UFCW I.U. President Marc Perrone on our UFCW I.U. Website re: the entire story surrounding Mr. Dan Rush?

http://www.ufcw.org
John Briley
Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Quote:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_28641661/feds-indict-local-union-exec-alleged-alleged-oakland

Feds indict local union exec alleged Oakland pot club kickbacks

Contra Costa Times

By Mike Blasky mblasky@bayareanewsgroup.com

POSTED: 08/14/2015 11:40:03 AM

Excerpt:

The indictment of Rush seems to be the only the beginning in the feds' latest crackdown on Oakland's blossoming medical pot industry. The complaint said Terbeek was notified of his likely prosecution by the government. Terbeek said Friday he couldn't comment because of the ongoing investigation.

Cops Theme Song - Bad Boys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LheS8xvLXS4

John Briley
Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Quote:

http://marijuanapolitics.com/marijuana-union-organizer-wanted-by-fbi-on-corruption-charges/

Marijuana Union Organizer Wanted by FBI on Corruption Charges

Romain Bonilla | August 14, 2015 8:33 am / Marijuana Politics

Excerpt:

Dan Rush faces 20 years in prison for the first charge of “labor union conflict of interest payments” and five years for the second charge of “honest services fraud.” These accusations are the result of a lengthy federal investigation that began as far back as 2010, when marijuana industry members tipped off the authorities, and involved “recorded telephone conversations and wires worn by witnesses including Marc Terbeek, Rush’s attorney who started cooperating with the FBI in January of this year, but may also be prosecuted.”

Home arrow Forums arrow News & Views arrow Dan Rush: UFCW Organizer Indicted
Page 1 of 2
page: 1, 2  next
Jump to: