Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow Local 648 Calls An Election. User Friendly? Not So Much.

Local 648 Calls An Election. User Friendly? Not So Much.

page: 1, 2, 3  next
one of the others
Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Date--Friday, December 6. Time--8AM to 6PM. Site--The union hall at the corner of 16th and Mission. One day only. No parking lot. Heart of the heroin dealing ghetto.
What would prompt the decision to have a one day walk-in, single site election? Well, we now know what mike sharpe, president of local 648 in San Francisco, is planning.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:08 pm

As a result of Local 5's Union Election cheating scandal investigation being resolved by the DOL's recent edict......,

Quote:
DOL Orders UFCW Local 5 to conduct a THIRD NOMINATION and ELECTION of OFFICERS.

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/20131022_acceptance_agreement

.....It appears that we now have another potential Union Election cheating scandal beginning at UFCW Local 648!

Quote:

Date--Friday, December 6. Time--8AM to 6PM.

Site--The union hall at the corner of 16th and Mission.

One day only.

No parking lot.

Heart of the heroin dealing ghetto.

What would prompt the decision to have a one day walk-in, single site election?

Well, we now know what mike sharpe, president of local 648 in San Francisco, is planning.

Once again we have another sinister plot / chicken shit attempt by UFCW Local 648 President Mike Sharpe and His Regime, including the UFCW I.U. to try and steal a Local Union Election by making the entire Nomination and Election process as difficult as possible for the affected Local 648 Member's to participate in.

It is my understanding that during the Contract Votes at Local 648 there was a Mail Ballot sent to the Local 648 Member's in each of the respective bargaining units, someone from Local 648 please confirm that for me?

If that was the case, why isn't Sharpe following the same pattern and doing a mail ballot for the Local 648 Member's upcoming Union Election? Based on the Local 648 notice above, we all know the answer to that question!

Hopefully, there will some true warrior's / member's at Local 648 who follow Roger Rivera's lead for Union democracy / justice and contact the DOL, media, etc. and do whatever it takes to achieve a FAIR / Democratic Union Election at UFCW Local 648!

Quote:
NOMINATION AND ELECTION NOTICE
Click here for ENGLISH
http://www.ufcw648.org/ENGLISH.pdf

Click here for CHINESE/中国
http://www.ufcw648.org/CHINESE.pdf

Click here for SPANISH/ESPAÑOL
http://www.ufcw648.org/SPANISH.pdf

Click here for TAGALOG
http://www.ufcw648.org/TAGALOG.pdf

http://www.ufcw648.org/

Last edited by John Briley on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top profile :: pm
one of the others
Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Traditionally at local 648, grocery contracts have been handled through the postal service. I am told the last walgreen's contract was a walk in at the same union hall location. I was told they held a union contract vote with an independent store, Cal Mart, about a week ago, at the store. That certainly made it easy for the employees to vote.
Also, The members of local 648 have not had their dues increased yet, nor have they been told about the increase vote at the international convention. I guess that can wait until after the election. Full disclosure--Not.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:57 am

Got a call tonight telling me mike sharpe, current incumbent/president of local 648, was seen in the sunset district safeway stores, going from checkstand to checkstand with paperwork reading mike sharpe and the unity team, asking for signatures--this while checkers were conducting business. I was told he, sharpe, was disrupting business.
Is that really the way to gather endorsements? Sounds a little desperate and sad to me. It just doesn't sound right. Not very professional.
Does this behavior work within the new guidelines safeway has put on paper concerning union elections?
He wants their endorsements, but has he eliminated their ability to vote by having the election at the union hall site on a Friday (one day only), with no parking lot, restricted hours (8-6).
Commutes are a common feature for many working in the grocery/drug industry. Also, School (get me out of this dead end j-o-b), Multiple jobs (because it is mostly part time with dead end wages). There may be child care and family issues that take time and demand attention. And the traffic in the city is grueling. Mike Sharpe wants members endorsements, but does he really want them to vote?
Sounds like local 5 is not the only local with a need for more member participation and Democracy and someone on the inside who understands the life of a retail worker and cares about the members/employees,

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Quote:

NOMINATIONS

Pursuant to the By-laws of UFCW Local 648 and the UFCW International Constitution, meetings for active members of Local 648 will be held to present nominations for President, Secretary/Treasurer, Recorder and Vice-Presidents 1 through 14. Vice-Presidents 1 through 4 shall be from the Grocery Division, Vice-President 5 from the Bakery and Candy Divisions, Vice-President 6 from the Cigar and Liquor Division, Vice- President 7 from the Drug Division and Vice-Presidents 8 through 14 shall be at large.

The term for each office is January 1, 2014 through December 31, 2016.

The purpose of said meeting shall be exclusively for making nominations.

No other business will be conducted at the meetings.

Meetings will be held at 9 am and 7 pm on November 25, 2013 at the offices of Local 648, 1980 Mission Street, San Francisco, California.

The meetings will be conducted by the General Election Chairperson.

All nominees must meet the eligibility requirements set forth in the union’s bylaws and constitution. All nominees must indicate their acceptance by giving written notice thereof to the General Election Chairperson no later than 4:30 pm, November 26, 2013.

Nominations in one week.

Sharpe in the stores for that reason only!
one of the others
Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Yes, mike sharpe is out in the stores asking people (members) for signed endorsements. Yes, really. I have been told members find it intimidating and don't like it. In fact, they don't even know who he is.
I've, also, been told that the election chairman is some guy who used to sit on his fathers executive board for many, many years. Hmmm.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Today is a BIG DAY over at UFCW Local 648!

Quote:
The purpose of said meeting shall be exclusively for making nominations.

No other business will be conducted at the meetings.

Meetings will be held at 9 am and 7 pm on November 25, 2013 at the offices of Local 648, 1980 Mission Street, San Francisco, California.

The meetings will be conducted by the General Election Chairperson.

All nominees must meet the eligibility requirements set forth in the union’s bylaws and constitution. All nominees must indicate their acceptance by giving written notice thereof to the General Election Chairperson no later than 4:30 pm, November 26, 2013.

Now we wait and see "if" any Local 648 Member will challenge President Sharpe and or any Executive Board position?
John Briley
Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:31 am

OK ...... Local 648 Member's, update time!

We need a status update as to the results of Local 648's Nomination Meeting's held on
11-25-13.

Thank You
John Briley
Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Looks like UFCW Local 648 President Michael Sharpe appears to have opposition.

Check it out.

http://change2013us.weebly.com/
My friend of Misery
Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:28 am

John Briley wrote:
Looks like UFCW Local 648 President Michael Sharpe appears to have opposition.

Check it out.

http://change2013us.weebly.com/

I really like the way nominee Dan Larson presents himself in his latest flier. He has some great ideas. Let hope he's not all talk and a man of his word.

The Unforgiven
Outlawtorn
One
Minus Human
No leaf clover
Sanitarium
mAgIc mAn
G-Man
THE DOPE SHOW
Binding Of Isaac
John Briley
Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:49 am

Quote:

Here are a couple of links to some resources that may be helpful to candidates in filing a complaint with the DOL:

Union Officer Elections — A Complainant's Guide
http://www.dol.gov/olms/regs/compliance/unionelec.htm

Union Elections Advisor
http://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/olms/default.aspx?viewId=viewOrgTypeI2

one of the others
Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:50 am

I talked to someone who heard someone campaigning for Dan Larsen (he is opposing mike sharp, current president of local 648)--they approached a woman in a floral department with a flyer. This woman refused the flyer stating she already signed the paper. By doing so, she believed she was voting. What she really did was sign a paper that stated she was endorsing mike sharp. Her name is, in fact, on a flyer listing all the names of people sharp got to sign his paperwork. I was also told, English was her second language.
WOW!!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Attention UFCW Local 648 Member's.....

Please make every effort to go and vote tomorrow, Friday, December 6, 2013, at Local 648's Union Office!

Quote:
ELECTION

If an election is required, members will vote by Secret Ballot at the date, time and place indicated below:

Date: December 6, 2013

Time: 7:00 am to 6:00 pm

Place: UFCW Local 648, 1980 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103

To be eligible to vote, a member needs to be current in his\her dues payments no later than November 29, 2013.

A valid picture ID, such as a driver’s license or other government issued ID will be required to vote.

Any questions concerning this notice should be directed to the General Election Chairperson, care of UFCW Local 648.

Robert Silvestri, General Election Chairperson

“Notices in Spanish, Chinese and Tagalog” are available at ufcw648.org.

For the record.....

To the best of my recollection, throughout my entire 37+ years at "former" UFCW Local 839, including 17+ years as President I can't recall asking Local 839 Member's for the following during any Union Election, Contract Ratification Votes etc.

Quote:
A valid picture ID, such as a driver’s license or other government issued ID will be required to vote.

Since when has the above become the "norm" and or "requirement" for Members voting in Union Elections?

Obviously I missed that memo!

Additionally, it is my understanding that Local 5 Members who recently voted in their two (2) Local Union Elections were not "required" to provide any type of ID as mentioned above, prior to casting their mail ballots?

Not having current Local 648 Bylaws in hand, maybe Sharpe has the above ID requirement in Local 648's Bylaws?

I'll check the I.U. Constitution to see what it says.
Enforcer
Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:43 pm

John Briley wrote:
Quote:

Here are a couple of links to some resources that may be helpful to candidates in filing a complaint with the DOL:

Union Officer Elections — A Complainant's Guide
http://www.dol.gov/olms/regs/compliance/unionelec.htm

Union Elections Advisor
http://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/olms/default.aspx?viewId=viewOrgTypeI2

The complaint guide is key. Anyone that wants to later file with the Department of Labor must follow it closely.

Heres some tips to follow:

1. Exhaust every internal remedy that you can. The Department of labor will not touch the case without exhausting the internal remedies. The exception is if the unions do not respond within 3 calendar months, then you can file with them.

2. When your write your objections, write any and all objections. Don't hold back. The Department of Labor will only look at the objections you filed with the local and the International. Exception to this rule is if you find out later about a new objection after you have filed the originals.

3. Don't expect much out of the local election chair or the international. They are there for one purpose, to protect the local. Sad but true.

4. Usually after you have filed with the election chair and the international, you have the right to appeal to the international executive board. My recommendation at this point is file, of course, and call the Department of Labor OLMS office in your jurisdiction, and let them know that your case is coming to them soon. They appreciate that and are ready for you when the International Executive Board responds.
one of the others
Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:38 am

Out of the approximate 3,800 members at local 648, 273 voted for Dan Larson and 234 voted for m sharp (he'll be there through the rest of the year--a little more than 3 weeks). I firmly believe more people would have voted if there had been a mail-out.

Page 1 of 3
page: 1, 2, 3  next
Jump to: