Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow UFCW Expected To Rejoin AFL-CIO

UFCW Expected To Rejoin AFL-CIO

Scott Schroeder
Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:26 am

Quote:
High-level sources within the AFL-CIO and its affiliated unions tell Working In These Times that the 1.3-million-member United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW) is in talks to rejoin the labor federation. These sources say that UFCW leaders have pledged their support for returning to the AFL-CIO and will ask members to vote on the question at the annual UFCW convention in Chicago this August. With the leadership backing reunification, the UFCW membership is expected to approve the motion.

EXCLUSIVE: UFCW Expected To Rejoin AFL-CIO in August

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:32 am

Quote:
High-level sources within the AFL-CIO and its affiliated unions tell Working In These Times that the 1.3-million-member United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW) is in talks to rejoin the labor federation. These sources say that UFCW leaders have pledged their support for returning to the AFL-CIO and will ask members to vote on the question at the annual UFCW convention in Chicago this August. With the leadership backing reunification, the UFCW membership is expected to approve the motion.

@Scott: Another great find, Scott! The "paper tiger" known as the UFCW BETTER rejoin the AFL-CIO! They are going to need all the resources they can get. They finally decided to get off their @$$es and fight Wal-Mart seriously?! (That's something that should have been done from the very beginning!) Also, because of their arrogant decision to sellout our members during the strike and drop all illegal labor violation charges (as part of the "deal") on union buster Rob Tiernan, there going to have to deal with his shady tactics all over again... But, with EVEN LESS help from the members. Like I said, the members no longer trust their union and that's going to come back and bite the UFCW in the @$$ when negotiations come round again.. I hear currently there is panic, anxiety, finger pointing, and division going on internally in UFCW5 ranks, behind closed doors (of course). So, leadership making the decision to reconsider rejoining the AFL-CIO only reconfirms they really screwed up and need more help fixing their "problems".

The Unforgiven
Outlawtorn
One
Minus Human
No leaf clover
Sanitarium
mAgIc mAn
G-Man
THE DOPE SHOW
Binding Of Isaac
Back to top profile :: pm
Scott Schroeder
Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:06 am

Well it's official sisters & brothers!

Quote:
UFCW International President Joe Hansen today released the following statement:

“We join the AFL-CIO because it is the right thing to do for UFCW members, giving them more power and influence. This is not about which building in Washington D.C. we call home — it is about fostering more opportunities for workers to have a true voice on the job. It is about joining forces to build a more united labor movement that can fight back against the corporate and political onslaught facing our members each and every day.

UFCW Joins AFL-CIO

And the UFCW joined the AFL_CIO just in time so they can attend another party...oops...I mean convention paid for off the backs of working people.

But here's an article that I think really gets to the point regarding labors future. Problem is I just don't see unions like the UFCW, at least locals like Local 8 & Local 5 anyway, doing any of the things suggested in the following article.

Quote:
Labor unions, while resisting these attacks, have had great difficulty accepting the extent to which they must undergo change in order to address the crisis they face. While more than half of non-union workers would like to join labor unions or employee associations, they frequently do not think of the labor union movement as being a movement for anyone other than those already in unions. What the unions affiliated with the AFL-CIO will have to grasp is that if they are to re-emerge as a vital force, millions of workers will need to see in them a vehicle in the fight for economic justice. If they are simply viewed as a lobby they are toast.

The challenge for the union movement is daunting, but not insurmountable. They must engage their own members in a broad discussion about what is happening in the economy, not only in the U.S.A. but globally. They must tackle the manner in which race, ethnic and gender prejudices/discrimination, have torn workers apart to the benefit of the employer class. And more than anything else, they must be perceived as being organizations that are fighting on behalf of workers, whether those workers happen to be in unions or not. This includes, but is not limited to, working to create a voice and vehicle for the unemployed, that segment of the population which is being cast aside by corporate America.

See article: http://www.afro.com/sections/opinion/story.htm?storyid=79344

I can say "engaging their members" will be something you never see within locals like Local 8.

Engaging the membership means the leadership will have to step aside and give up some control of decision making to members. That you will never see in Local 8 and after watching the debacle within Local 5 this past few years I doubt Local 5 would ever enbrace a program like this either. Which IMO would be just like the article quotes...

Quote:
If they are simply viewed as a lobby they are toast.

Something to think about Loveall & Lind!

All of us "Trouble-Makers" within these two locals that's all we ever wanted-a voice(and not yours) and a chance at participation within our own unions.

You guys can stay on the golf coarse, just move aside and let us "real working class" do the work that needs to be done on the streets!

After all we wouldn't want you to scuff those pretty Gucci's that members paid for in some street protest Wink

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Will the AFL-CIO Restructure to Include Community Groups As Members?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Quote:
Will the AFL-CIO Restructure to Include Community Groups As Members?
Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:59 am

Quote:
New Orleans I watched a brief interview for USA Today with Richard Trumka, president of the AFL-CIO, on the eve of their coming convention, as he argued that with the diminishing numbers, there were changes coming at the federation. The changes he talked about mainly were some kind of broader affiliation program that was enrolling the NAACP and the Sierra Club.

Both groups have been allies of labor from time to time, and both to some degree are membership organizations with chapters around the country. But, when Trumka was asked about whether they would be full members, pay dues, or affiliate on the local level, the answers were all, essentially, “maybe” or “we’ll have to see,” both of which are euphemisms for “no,” I’m pretty sure.

This isn’t a change of strategy, but a recognition that the only power that the AFL-CIO or labor in general can pretend to still have is political power, not worker power.

New Strategy at AFL-CIO or Same Ol’, Same Ol’?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:08 am

AFL-CIO to target Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder, other Republican governors in 2014 election cycle

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:00 am

Scott Schroeder wrote:
Quote:
New Orleans I watched a brief interview for USA Today with Richard Trumka, president of the AFL-CIO, on the eve of their coming convention, as he argued that with the diminishing numbers, there were changes coming at the federation. The changes he talked about mainly were some kind of broader affiliation program that was enrolling the NAACP and the Sierra Club.

Both groups have been allies of labor from time to time, and both to some degree are membership organizations with chapters around the country. But, when Trumka was asked about whether they would be full members, pay dues, or affiliate on the local level, the answers were all, essentially, “maybe” or “we’ll have to see,” both of which are euphemisms for “no,” I’m pretty sure.

This isn’t a change of strategy, but a recognition that the only power that the AFL-CIO or labor in general can pretend to still have is political power, not worker power.

New Strategy at AFL-CIO or Same Ol’, Same Ol’?

You can learn more of Trumka's track record here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Trumka In his early years Trumka did some good things for the coal workers, because of his upbringing. But, his history revels he focused more on being a "numbers man" and politician (talker). The exact opposite of his predecessor, John Sweeney. Who focused more on pushing for stronger federal laws and policies for various pro-worker related issues. Lets not neglect to mention Trumka's record uncovers unlawful conduct by former Secretary-Treasurer Trumka. Who (in my opinion) managed to squirm out of under the investigation of a grand jury. Because, of his strong labor connections. Are any labor leaders clean nowadays?! Where there's money, there's greed. And where there's greed, there's corruption. Greed: the TRUE green eyed monster.

The Unforgiven
Outlawtorn
One
Minus Human
No leaf clover
Sanitarium
mAgIc mAn
G-Man
THE DOPE SHOW
Binding Of Isaac
SharynS
Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:15 pm

Quote:
Where there's money, there's greed. And where there's greed, there's corruption....
... and where there's corruption there's a union leader.

The entire labour movement has become a "numbers game". In fact it's no longer a movement in any sense of the word. The few locals that are still active and trying to move their members forward are not only up against their employers and the process but are routinely up against their own national and international machines when they do. Guys like trumpka etal are little more than opportunists.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:41 pm

SharynS wrote:
Quote:
Where there's money, there's greed. And where there's greed, there's corruption....
... and where there's corruption there's a union leader.

The entire labour movement has become a "numbers game". In fact it's no longer a movement in any sense of the word. The few locals that are still active and trying to move their members forward are not only up against their employers and the process but are routinely up against their own national and international machines when they do. Guys like trumpka etal are little more than opportunists.

Sad, but true. Embarassed It's much less stressful for leaders to sellout your members and still collect their dues. Than, to actually fight for the workers and do their jobs... What a bunch of conniving, cowards we have for labor leaders nowadays. But, I digress...Various union leaders stated (themselves) "the nations union market share is rapidly shrinking." -And they have only themselves to blame for that. Workers have woken up to the fact that their "labor leaders" are in the game for themselves. Workers know many union's (but not all) are currently a facade, regardless of what they preach. Union leaders have effectively AND arrogantly shot themselves in the foot. Their jobs futures are in jeopardy. There living on borrowed time, ironically just like their members jobs... Union leaders doing "more of the same" strategy will only put another nail in their coffin. Their own shortsightedness will be their downfall.

The Unforgiven
Outlawtorn
One
Minus Human
No leaf clover
Sanitarium
mAgIc mAn
G-Man
THE DOPE SHOW
Binding Of Isaac
Scott Schroeder
Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:24 pm

Quote:
Though Trumka’s vocal support of organized labor alternatives met with little dissent, his additional pre-convention suggestion that some allies, such as the NAACP or Sierra Club, could become members of the AFL-CIO and share in decision-making ran into resistance and was thus not formally proposed.

Labor’s Makeover

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:56 am

Quote:
A political debate at the AFL-CIO 2013 convention in Los Angeles took place about the attacks on union Taft-Hartley Healthcare an Benefits plans that are being taxed under Obamacare. Delegates also blasted Obama's affordable care act and some called for a fight for single payer.

Battle Breaks Out Over Obama Care At 2013 AFL-CIO Convention In Los Angles

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:34 pm

Anyone have thoughts on this?

In Historic Move, AFL-CIO Expands Ranks With Vote to Include Non-Union, Immigrant, Low-Wage Workers

Just off the top of my head here's my thoughts. My first thought it's good to organize and bring workers together and get them involved with "actions" against abusive and greedy employers, but is this action by the AFL-CIO more about creating a strong labor movement that benefits workers or is it more about generating dues revenue that benefit labor’s bureaucrats? We do have to remember that it was Trumka that went in and "killed" the Wisconsin uprising with the old tired "we'll get them at the ballot box". We all saw how that worked out for Wisconsin workers! Crying or Very sad

Sure like to know what others are thinking regarding this development.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Quote:
...vote to include non-union, immigrant low-wage
I have no clue what that means and it reads as if they don't either. How? - where's the beef!

My thoughts; trumka came up with a title and is trying to sell it as a book and Dem Now fell for it.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:02 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/13/unions-obamacare_n_3923547.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Single payer is the only answer, but this country won't have it--unions included. That system doesn't seem to fit anyone's agenda and they all have one that suits their personal schemes. This watered down, tragic, pathetic attempt at healthcare is a disaster. It will, of course, work for some (and that's a really good thing), but big business and big money got it's way--the American Way.

The Us of A is not part of the civilized world.

http://www.gadling.com/2007/07/05/what-countries-have-universal-health-care/

And, business gets to cut their healthcare and throw the costs to employees and taxpayers. Will wages increase as a result of the the added revenue to the bottom line? My money's on no.

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: