Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow UFCW "Wal-Mart-Tizing" Our Contracts!

UFCW "Wal-Mart-Tizing" Our Contracts!

page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  next
John Briley
Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:32 pm

As a current UFCW Retiree with over 38 years of service, including 17 + years as the "former" President at UFCW Local 839, it is very disturbing and embarrassing to sit on the sidelines and watch the unconscionable "Wal-Mart-Tizing" of our UFCW Contracts here in Northern California.

Over the past year, many of us have been following Contract Negotiations in Northern California here:

The 2011 NorCal Grocery Contract:
http://forums.uncharted.ca/viewtopic.php?t=1775

Clearly these unprecedented Concessionary Contracts / Stabilization Agreements, negotiated by Presidents Ron Lind, Jacques Loveall and Michael Sharpe, along with the "seal of approval" from "most" of their respective Staffs & Executive Boards, demonstrates how "pathetically weak" and "out of touch" they / UFCW have become!

Especially when said individuals do not have the ability to comprehend and or have any compassion towards our Active Members, our RETIREE's, including their respective families as to the financial impact these Concessionary Contracts will have on each of them for months and years to come!

In addition to Concessionary Contracts being jammed down our members throats, let us not forget about the rising & ongoing out-of-pocket expenses, i.e., “Dues Increases” that continue to plague our Active Members!

Please review the following.

UFCW Local 5 Dues Increase Effective January 1, 2009.
http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/final-2.pdf

UFCW Local 8 Dues Increase Effective January 1, 2012.
http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/2011_ufcwl8_dues_increase.pdf

UFCW Local 8's Pick Pocket Mania.
http://forums.uncharted.ca/viewtopic.php?t=1763&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Note: I do not have any information as to the current dues structure at UFCW Local 648.

With respect to my "out of touch" comment concerning Presidents Lind, Loveall and Sharpe including "most" of their respective Staffs and Executive Boards, it is important that we first set the stage by beginning with reviewing our Chief Negotiators obscene salaries they received in 2011.

I would also suggest reviewing the Salaries for the entire staffs within all three (3) Local Unions to get a complete understanding what I'm talking about.

Quote:
DOL LM2 Website Link:
http://kcerds.dol-esa.gov/query/getOrgQry.do

DOL LM2 File Numbers:
Local 5 = 543-632
Local 8 = 043-536
Local 648= 024-068

UFCW I. U. = 000-056

Note: Since I do not know the specific policy as it pertains to each individual’s expenses, allowances, etc., I will be using their “total amount” of monies listed on each of their LM2 Report.

Please refer to each individual’s respective yearly LM2 report for their “detailed amount” of allowances, disbursements, etc.

I apologize in advance for any inadvertent errors or omissions and the applicable LM2 Report for each individual shall govern.

Quote:
UFCW Local 5:

Pres. Ron Lind = $193,887.00 plus receiving $20,000.00 a year "Stipend" as a UFCW I.U. V.P.

Sec.Treas. Tim Hamann= $150,551.00

UFCW Local 8:

Pres. Jacques Loveall = $274,334.00 plus receiving $20,000.00 a year "Stipend" as a UFCW I.U. V.P.

Sec. Treas. Kirk Vogt = $226,735.00

UFCW Local 648:
Pres. Michael Sharpe= $110,551.00
Sec. Treas. Milton Hum= $94,974.00

Clearly........

It's Time For Our UFCW Union Leader's To Share In Our Pain Resulting From Concessionary Contracts They Negotiate.
http://www.change.org/petitions/it-s-time-for-our-ufcw-union-leader-s-to-share-in-our-pain-resulting-from-concessionary-contracts-they-negotiate#

Time for Our UFCW Bureaucrats to Share Our Pain.
http://forums.uncharted.ca/viewtopic.php?t=1828

Quote:
Note: here are links to review the Recently Ratified Contracts here in Northern California:
Savemart / Luckys:

First Half: Pages (1- 12)

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/ufcw5_mail_in_pkg1.pdf

Second Half: Pages (13 - 20)

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/ufcw5_mail_in_vote_pkg2.pdf

Note: It is my understanding that “some” Member’s employed by SaveMart / Luckys had to take a “permanent” $5.00 per hour reduction in pay as a result of the Savemart / Luckys Concessionary Contract!

It is also my understanding that the above “concession” also represents a “gift that keeps giving” to SaveMart / Luckys!

With the Company converting more and more of their free standing conventional Food Stores to their Warehouse Stores format (FoodMaxx = different contract), creates a chain of events for those members choosing not to stay with FoodMaxx.

Subsequently, “some” members will follow their seniority into the SaveMart / Lucky conventional food stores, ultimately affecting the ratio, which then requires a $5.00 per hour reduction in pay for “some” of our SaveMart / Lucky lower seniority Members!

Note: It is also very important to remember and simply outrageous that President Ron Lind has already given SaveMart / Luckys numerous Contract Concessions dating back to the 2007-2011 C.B.A.

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/savemart_cba_comparison_local5.pdf

Nob Hill:
http://publ.com/gnhqV0w

Raleys:
http://publ.com/79JzmTu#/1/

Safeway:
http://publ.com/bdPISa

I will follow up on the……

Top Ten (10) Colossal Blunders Presidents Lind, Loveall & Sharpe, a.k.a. "The Sellout Alliance", negotiated into our 2011-2012 Contract Settlements with (SaveMart / Luckys), (Raleys / Nob Hill) & Safeway!

To be continued.....
Back to top profile :: pm
John Briley
Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Here is some relevant information as it pertains to the recent announcement that Safeway's CEO, Steve Burd will be retiring.

Safeway CEO Steve Burd to Retire

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_22299368/safeway-ceo-steve-burd-retire

By: Heather Somerville / 1/03/13

Quote:
The relationship (with Burd) was a little bit rocky at first," said Mike Henneberry, spokesman for United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 5. "We had some pretty contentious back and forth."

Union leaders recently signed a new contract with Safeway after 15 months of negotiations, and have locked in pay and benefits for the next three years.

Henneberry said that negotiations with Burd at the helm were consistently professional and often more productive than sessions with Safeway's competitors, and Burd never tried to lowball union members on their benefits.

"To Burd's credit, he kind of led the way on the health and wellness lifestyle" for employees, Henneberry said.

Steve Burd Profile / Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/profile/steven-burd/
My friend of Misery
Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Indeed they are wal-Mart-izing our contract's and selling out the dues paying members. Lets put into perspective what the union attained with the Nob Hill contract.

- The "Warp Fund". What is this Lind? Lind will never explain this dirty little secret...NOPE! Wink

- "The Plan". Typically or formally known as ufcw's office administration benefits. I bet it's a hell of a better medical plan then the due's paying members have!.. The workers will never get the details on this plan or there would be a riot...

-A Taft-Hartley plan. A Taft-Hartley plan is a type of retirement plan developed for union employees. With this type of a retirement plan, many different employers collectively agree to contribute to their contractors/members' retirement plans. -How nice for our ufcw office members that do next to nothing for the workers.

-The ability for the union to unionize non-union Raley's stores with no management opposition. (neutrality) Ron's mouth had to be dripping saliva from this juicy treat. More member due's for him! Cash cow!

Sadly the workers where sold out during the strike. The workers are smarter than Lind gives them credit. They knew Lind was hiding behind a (first ever) email only town hall. During the strike the workers had the advantage but, where told to come back in by there union leaders without knowing what they had gotten. By the time the union sprung and delayed the reveal and terms of the bad deal on the workers it was too late. The workers where very angry but, also very hesitant to go out on strike again. With a good chance of having a horrible and cold Christmas and new years for workers and families... Also, January layoff's right around the corner, put workers in a rock and a hard place to go back out on strike. Not to mention customers would not be sympathetic to a second strike in these bad economic times. But ufcw knew this and so did there "business buddies" at Nob Hill.

It is a outrage Lind makes $197,000+ a year. He should lead by example and be cut to $90,000 for his poor performance as a president. You think someone that makes $197,000+ annually has your best interests in mind?! People would impeach Ron (if they could.)

Workers have been showing there teeth to union reps ever sense. Union reps play the innocent part but people are not stupid. They know what went down and union reps are not welcome in stores right now and the reps. know that too. But it works for them, Ron's reps don't want to do there jobs and do the bare minimum anyway..

Many are very angry things are getting worse and I think UFCW 5 is on the road to desertification. I wonder if Ron still shows his face at Nob Hill Milpitas where he likes to shop. Or maybe his wife and daughter do his shopping for him now... Laughing

The extremely low turn out of the contract votes show you the attitude of the members. They know this was going to be crammed down there throats one way or the other and the UFCW 5 is becoming irrelevant for them, and does not represent there best interests in mind. Lind, milk that cow while you still can!

I leave you with the picture of the day to reflect on. Smile for the picture boys and girls... [ http://www.ufcw5.org/photo.JPG ]

Look at Ron's e-board idiot kiss-ass members. So eager to do Ron's bidding and help pass the worst contract ever for Nob Hill. Just...look..at..them... Ron loves it!
Passing this contract will come back to haunt them with full-time worker transfers and layoff's, and much more overwhelming job responsibilities. Not to mention opening the door for even more benefit cuts and pay reductions in the future contracts. But it's all good for Ron and the UFCW... There still making that money baby! -That's the TRUE "union premium" and "solidarity" our current Presidents speak of.

ed=oversizeimage

The Unforgiven
Outlawtorn
One
Minus Human
No leaf clover
Sanitarium
mAgIc mAn
G-Man
THE DOPE SHOW
Binding Of Isaac
John Briley
Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Quote:
Top Ten (10) Colossal Blunders Presidents Lind, Loveall & Sharpe, a.k.a. "The Sellout Alliance", negotiated into our 2011-2012 Contract Settlements with (SaveMart / Luckys), (Raleys / Nob Hill) & Safeway!

Number One: I have reason to believe that the alleged "Independent Audit" conducted / completed with SaveMart / Luckys was a "Scam".
As we all have been following Contract Negotiations here in Northern California over the past year, President’s Ron Lind and Jacques Loveall have been insisting on “financial transparency” and demanding that Savemart / Luckys and Raleys / Nob Hill allow an “Independent Audit / Review” of each Employer’s financial status.

It is my belief that Lind, Loveall and Sharpe, a.k.a. the "Sellout Alliance" entered into these 2011-2012 Food Negotiations with a Concessionary Mindset and were fully prepared to Sell Out their Members with their Employer buddies!

The "Scam Audit" gave them the "political cover" to carry out their dastardly deed and where the "Sellout" began!!!!

By using the Trust Fund Auditor's, the "Sellout Alliance" tainted the results of the "Scam Audit" from the beginning!
Quote:
The “Independent Audit / Review” was conducted by the Union President’s, along with the C.P.A. Firm, Hemming Morse. (this is the same C.P.A. Firm used by our Trust Fund)

Hemming Morse, LLP
Certified Public Accountants
Litigation and Forensic Consultants
http://www.hemming.com/

The Union’s are paying for this Independent Review performed by this C.P.A. Firm.

The Union’s were required to sign a non-disclosure agreement and will only be able to present a general overview to members.

What is An Independent Auditor?????

An Independent Auditor is a person...
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-independent-auditor.htm

Keep in mind that this CPA Firm, audit's the accounts for the numerous Employer's throughout the year who make H&W and Pension Contributions on behalf of their employees, specifically, (Raleys / Nob Hill) and (Savemart / Lucky) Members within UFCW Local's 5, 8 and 648!

Those services performed by this CPA Firm are being paid by our Trust Fund, i.e. by all the respective Employer's who make contributions into the Trust Fund.

Conflict of Interest or What!!!!!
Additionally......
Quote:
The Union’s were required to sign a non-disclosure agreement and will only be able to present a general overview to members.
How in the Hell is that justified President's Lind, Loveall and Sharpe?
John Briley
Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Quote:

Number Two: I have reason to believe that the "Sellout Alliance," "allegedly", for whatever reason, withheld very important and vital information pertaining to the specific Medical Changes, including significant out of pocket increases for Active Members and Retirees that were negotiated into our "first" Concessionary Contract / Stabilization Agreement between SaveMart / Luckys and UFCW Locals 5, 8 and 648!

To my point, I would suggest to first review the various Concessionary Contract's above, starting with the Savemart / Lucky Deal, then the Raleys/ Nob Hill Deal followed by the Safeway Deal.

Specifically, the information pertaining to the Medical changes that will be impacting our Active Members and Retirees!

Interesting enough and quite frankly very suspicious to say the least, is the specificity the Unions demonstrated by outlining the medical changes contained in the New Deal for their Safeway Members vs. the Unions pathetic presentation for the medical changes found in the Savemart / Lucky Deal for our Active Members and Retirees!

Keep in mind that the "Sellout Alliance" have been in negotiations with (SaveMart / Luckys), (Raleys / Nob Hill) and Safeway for over 15 months.

There was no reason what-so-ever for the "Sellout Alliance" to withold the specifics / significant increases that would be impacting our Active Members and Retiree's as a result of the Concessionary Contracts they negotiated!

Lind, Loveall and Sharpe, were fully aware of the specifics of the new H&W (Medical Changes) that were coming, but didn't have the courage to inform our "first" bargaining unit, our Savemart / Luckys Members during their Mail Ballot procedures!

Why?????

By way of an example, I found the following H&W (Medical Changes) overview prepared by the Segal Company, (Union's Trust Fund Consultant's) for UFCW Local 648's Safeway Membership from their Local Union website.

http://www.ufcw648.org/20121207132237.pdf

After you have had the opportunity to review the above overview from Joe Sweeney / Segal Company, it is unconscienable that Lind, Loveall and Sharpe, a.k.a. the "Sellout Alliance", withheld said information from our Active Members and Retiree's!

Quote:
How in the Hell is that justified President's Lind, Loveall and Sharpe?

John Briley
Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:24 pm

Quote:
Clearly these unprecedented Concessionary Contracts / Stabilization Agreements, negotiated by Presidents Ron Lind, Jacques Loveall and Michael Sharpe, along with the "seal of approval" from "most" of their respective Staffs & Executive Boards, demonstrates how "pathetically weak" and "out of touch" they / UFCW have become!

Especially when said individuals do not have the ability to comprehend and or have any compassion towards our Active Members, our RETIREE's, including their respective families as to the financial impact these Concessionary Contracts will have on each of them for months and years to come!

I wanted to provide you with some additional information that reinforces my comments above!

Recently on Saturday, January 5, 2013, I received the following 16 page UEBT Retiree Health Plan "Special Edition" from our Trust Fund Office.

This document was sent to the Retiree's to announce the "New" UEBT Retiree Health Plan that was recently negotiated by President's Lind, Loveall & Sharpe, a.k.a. The Sellout Alliance!

Additionally, this document is also informing the Retiree's that Open Enrollment is between January 14 -January 31, 2013 and must be completed Online Only at www.ufcwtrust.com!

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/2013_uebt_health_plan.pdf

I must admit that a lot of things have happened during the past 15 months that have pissed me off regarding these negotiations and subsequent Concessionary Contracts that our Active Members and Retiree's will have to deal with over the next couple of years or more!

So when I started reading the 16 page document I went crazy when I read the following.

Note: As we all know some or most of our Retiree's do not have computer's and or have never used a computer. Additionally, some of our Retiree's are elderly and have difficulty getting around, etc.

So check this out......

Quote:

UEBT Retiree Health Plan.

Frequently Asked Questions About Your Benefits:
(Page 14)

Q: I don't have online access ---- how do I complete Open Enrollment?

A: Check with your local library or senior center -- many offer free online access.

You can also ask a family member, friend or neighbor to assist you with online access and completion of Open Enrollment.

If you are online and having difficulty completing Open Enrollment, there will be a toll-free number to call for assistance.

So with all the computer's available within all three (3) Local Union Office's ( Local's 5, 8 & 648) including all of the staff available within all three (3) Local Union Office's, President's Lind, Loveall & Sharpe have the cojones to tell our Retiree's they need to go to a library, senior center, etc., to obtain online access is absolutely pathetic and unconscienable!

It is truly unfortunate that our Union Leader's didn't have the mindset and or Leadership skills to offer the services of all their Union Office's and Staff's to assist each and every Retiree to accomplish the Open Enrollment process Online stress free as possible!

Shame on You President's Lind, Loveall and Sharpe!

Better yet:

Hey President's Lind, Loveall and Sharpe

Scott Schroeder
Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:26 pm

John Briley wrote:
Quote:

(Page 14)

A: Check with your local library or senior center -- many offer free online access.

You can also ask a family member, friend or neighbor to assist you with online access and completion of Open Enrollment.

If you are online and having difficulty completing Open Enrollment, there will be a toll-free number to call for assistance.
So with all the computer's available within all three (3) Local Union Office's ( Local's 5, 8 & 648) including all of the staff available within all three (3) Local Union Office's, President's Lind, Loveall & Sharpe have the cojones to tell our Retiree's they need to go to a library, senior center, etc., to obtain online access is absolutely pathetic and unconscienable!
And with all the state "budget cuts" good luck trying to find a library open these days!

What a crock of shit!

Just more proof that the "SELLOUT ALLIANCE" Lind, Loveall & Sharpe don't view active members or the UFCW retirees as actual human beings with living families.

To the the UFCW Bureaucracy we as working people/dues payers and retirees are viewed nothing more than "revenue"!

That being said I second the motion made by brother Briley to the SELLOUT ALLIANCE...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:18 am

I wish you all could see the look of not surprised on my face.

Obviously the idea is to keep "wrap plan" details under wraps. One does have to be impressed with the multitude of new and obscure terms the fucktards and their employer masters come up with in times of screw-overs. Cannot fault the retail bed buddies on innovation.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 pm

I wanted to share with you a couple of e-mails I recently sent to Ron Lind our President at UFCW Local 5.

Quote:

First e-mail dated Wednesday, January 9, 2013.

PRESIDENT RON LIND - WHAT IS THE "WRAP PLAN"

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 1:57 PM

To: "Ron Lind" <rlind@ufcw5.org>

Cc: "Rick Silva" <rsilva@ufcwtrust.com>, "Lee Schreiter" <lschreiter@UFCWtrust.com>,

Hello Ron---- As you are fully aware of, I've sent you and Rick Silva, our Trust Fund Administrator, two (2) e-mails dated Thursday, December 20, 2012 and Monday, January 7, 2013, regarding an information request concerning the recently negotiated "Wrap Plan".

Specifically:

As I indicated previously in my e-mails, there was new language introduced into the (Raleys / Nob Hill) & Safeway Contracts that I can not find in the SaveMart / Lucky Contract. Based on the fact that SaveMart / Luckys was the first Employer to ratify their contract, I find it a bit odd that the new language I am referring to didn't originate in the SaveMart / Lucky Deal but did wind up in the Raleys / Nob Hill Contract following their 9 day strike and also wound up in the Safeway Contract?

Here is the language I am referring to:

UEBT Administrative Issues
Pages 28-30 (Raleys / Nob Hill).

Item #11. (page29) Continue the WRAP PLAN as a Benefit offering. The Employer contribution Rates for this option will be developed by the co-consultants so as not to financially disadvantage the Trust.

Fortunately Rick Silva had the professional courtesy to respond to me along with Lee Schreiter, both from our Trust Fund Office, attempting to provide me with some answers to my questions. Thank You Rick and Lee.

Here is the complete text of Lee Schreiter's e-mail to me dated Monday, January 7, 2013 (5:06pm) wherein he cc'd both you (Ron Lind) and Rick Silva.

Hi John,

Wrap is basically supplemental insurance and is an option that some of our healthcare vendors allow. As you can understand, we do not comment about specific healthcare options of employers and we are unsure about why wrap was mentioned as you state.

Since your original email, we have received positive confirmation from all three of the Locals affected that the Save Mart, Raley’s and Safeway contracts are ratified. Previous to that we were going by the language of the Save Mart contract since it was ratified earlier in order to move planning forward here and start putting shape to the plan designs.

I hope this helps answer your questions. We look forward to serving you in the coming years.

Best regards,
Lee

Lee W. Schreiter
Communications, Marketing and Branding Director
UFCW & Employers Trust, LLC
(925) 746-7573 desk
(916) 295-7330 cell
lschreiter@ufcwtrust.com

Ron, unfortunately you have avoided making any attempt to respond to me and or provide me with any information as to the contract language you recently negotiated currently referred to as the "Wrap Plan".

I'm beginning to wonder "if" you've got something to hide and or are embarrased to provide me with the answer to my question!

As we both know, Rick and Lee did not negotiate the "Wrap Plan" language and therefore, based on Lee's attempt to provide "some" info about the "Wrap Plan" is limited at best.

Ron, I will try once again.

Question: Please explain in detail, what is the "Wrap Plan" and who will Benefit from this New language?

Local Union Staff (Reps & Clerical)?

Active Dues Paying Member's who participate in the UEBT Plan here in Northern Ca., including Retiree's?

As you can imagine as a current Retiree and with the significant increases that my wife and I will be incurring with the recently negotiated changes to our Medical Plan(s), including our Active Members, I was curious as to what is the "Wrap Plan"?

Following my receipt on Saturday, January 5, 2013 of the 16 page UEBT Retiree Health Plan "Special Edition" from the Trust Fund Office, I found no mention of any information pertaining to the "Wrap Plan" anywhere in said document.

Ron, "maybe" your silence is based on the following:

"If" this "Wrap Plan / Benefit Offering" is what I think it is, it will provide 100% Medical Coverage for the Union Staff's (only).

It is my understanding that UFCW Local 8's entire staff (Union Representatives & Office Clerical) including the Trust Fund Employee's at the Roseville, Ca. office are currently covered by the "Wrap Plan" and or the "Wrap Around Plan". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Additionally, it is also my understanding that the Trust Fund Employee's at the Walnut Creek, Ca. office are not covered by the "Wrap Plan" and or the "Wrap Around Plan". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Assuming that the above is correct, that would leave the entire staff's at UFCW Local 5 and Local 648, including the Trust Fund Employee's at the Walnut Creek Office, not being covered by the "Wrap Plan". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Local Union / Trust Fund (Employer's) make contributions to the Trust Fund for the Industry Medical Plan on behalf of each and every Trust Fund employee and Local Union staff employee (Union Representative and Office Clerical). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Subsequently, "if" my understanding is correct, "any" outstanding Medical Bills not paid by the Trust Fund would then be picked up by the "Wrap Plan / Benefit Offering" on behalf of said Employee(s). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The contribution rates for said "Wrap Plan" still have to be worked out by the co-consultants.

The question then becomes how much and who will pay for that extra cost?

The Local Union (from member dues money) or the Local Union employee, or the Trust Fund on behalf of their employee's? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Or do they (Local Union Employee's / Trust Fund Employee's ) share the additional cost factor with their Employer? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Clearly if the above is accurate, we could have the possibility of another "Local 5 Staff Enhanced Benefit" backfiring on you, Local 5's Executive Board and as a result of these recent Concessionary Contracts, an additional slap in the face to all of our dues paying members here at Local 5!

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/20091018_ufcw5_fair_pension.pdf

In the event that I do not hear from you, I will assume that my above overview of the "Wrap Plan" is accurate and I will proceed accordingly!

As always, I look forward to hearing from you to get the facts about the "Wrap Plan."

Thank You

John Briley

John Briley
Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:14 pm

Quote:

Second e-mail dated Friday, January 11, 2013 I sent to Ron Lind our President at UFCW Local 5 and some of his staff and other's.

UEBT RETIREE HEALTH PLAN / OPEN ENROLLMENT

Friday, January 11, 2013 11:01 AM

To: "Ron Lind" <rlind@ufcw5.org>

Cc: "Efrain Aguilera" <eaguilera@ufcw5.org>, "Esai Alday" <ealday@ufcw5.org>, "Tony Alexander" <talexander@ufcw5.org>, "Ysenia Andrada" <yandrada@ufcw5.org>, "Anne Andrews-Ellis" <aellis@ufcw5.org>, "Blas Barroso" <bbarroso@ufcw5.org>, "Mike Borstel" <mborstel@ufcw5.org>, "John Bueno" <jbueno@ufcw5.org>, "Juan Cervantes" <jcervantes@ufcw5.org>, "James Cortez" <jcortez@ufcw5.org>, "Alyse Davidson" <adavidson@ufcw5.org>, "Pete Derenale" <pderenale@ufcw5.org>, "Marla Donati" <mdonati@ufcw5.org>, "Juan Escobar" <jescobar@ufcw5.org>, "Phil Fidandis" <pfidandis@ufcw5.org>, "John Frahm" <jfrahm@ufcw5.org>, "Della Garcia" <dgarcia@ufcw5.org>, "Terry Gonzales" <tgonzales@ufcw5.org>, "Patricia A. Gordillo" <pgordillo@ufcw5.org>, "Tim Hamann" <thamann@ufcw5.org>, "Michael Henneberry" <mhenneberry@ufcw5.org>, "Jon Hughes" <jhughes@ufcw5.org>, "Pam Kramer" <pkramer@ufcw5.org>, "Jack Landes" <jlandes@ufcw5.org>, "Melodie Lum-Sasada" <msasada@ufcw5.org>, "Bambi Marien" <bmarien@ufcw5.org>, "Kelly Martinez" <kmartinez@ufcw5.org>, "Pete Maturino" <pmaturino@ufcw5.org>, "John May" <jmay@ufcw5.org>, "Alma McAfee" <amcafee@ufcw5.org>, "Cindy Mendoza" <cmendoza@ufcw5.org>, "Laurie Mesa" <lmesa@ufcw5.org>, "Carl Nakano" <cnakano@ufcw5.org>, "John Nunes" <jnunes@ufcw5.org>, "Oscar Orozco" <oorozco@ufcw5.org>, "Stephanie Orozco Brito" <sbrito@ufcw5.org>, "Julian Perez" <jperez@ufcw5.org>, "Letresa Perkins" <lperkins@ufcw5.org>, "Rosemary Rodriguez" <rrodriguez@ufcw5.org>, "John Rossi" <jrossi@ufcw5.org>, "Jeff Soares" <jsoares@ufcw5.org>, "Dustin Tyssen" <dtyssen@ufcw5.org>, "John Ulrich" <julrich@ufcw5.org>, "Angela Willmes" <ajoe@ufcw5.org>, "Kathy & John Briley" <campbriley@sbcglobal.net>, "David Blitzstein" <dblitzstein@ufcw.org>, "Joseph Hansen" <jhansen@ufcw.org>, "William McDonough" <wmcdonough@ufcw.org>, "Pat O'Neill" <poneill@ufcw.org>, "Marc Perrone" <mperrone@ufcw.org>...

Hello Ron ----- Hey Ron, it's me again with another issue I have a problem with and I felt compelled to that bring it to your attention.

Recently on Saturday, January 5, 2013, I received the following 16 page UEBT Retiree Health Plan "Special Edition" from our Trust Fund Office.

This document was sent to the Retiree's to announce the "New" UEBT Retiree Health Plan that was recently negotiated by you, Loveall & Sharpe.

Additionally, this document is also informing the Retiree's that Open Enrollment is between January 14 -January 31, 2013 and must be completed Online Only at www.ufcwtrust.com!

Ron, as we all know, some or most of our Retiree's do not have computer's and or have never used a computer. Additionally, some of our Retiree's are elderly and have difficulty getting around, etc.

Having said that, I was outraged to read in the 16 page document the following:

(Page 14)

So Ron, with all the computer's available within all three (3) Local Union Office's ( Local's 5, 8 & 648) including all of the staff available within all three (3) Local Union Office's, it's deplorable that you, Loveall & Sharpe have the cojones to tell our Retiree's they need to go to a library, senior center, etc., to obtain online access to complete their Open Enrollment.

You, Loveall and Sharpe's position is absolutely despicable and unconscienable!

It is truly unfortunate that you, Loveall and Sharpe did not have the foresight and or Leadership skills to offer the services of all your Local Union Office's and Staff's in an effort to assist each and every Retiree to accomplish their Open Enrollment process Online "stress free" as possible!

Shame on You President's Lind, Loveall and Sharpe!

BTW.... I will not attempt to bore you any further with my rant. If you are interested, you can catch the "beginning" on how I really feel free here.

UFCW "Wal-Mart-Tizing" Our Contracts!
http://forums.uncharted.ca/viewtopic.php?t=1881

Thank You for your time.

John Briley

Laboryes
Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Damn Ron!

Looks like you've been bitch slapped by Briley once again!!!!!! Laughing

John Briley
Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:31 am

Quote:
Ron, as we all know, some or most of our Retiree's do not have computer's and or have never used a computer. Additionally, some of our Retiree's are elderly and have difficulty getting around, etc.

Having said that, I was outraged to read in the 16 page document the following:

(Page 14)

Retiree Update as of Friday, January 11, 2013 at 3:45PM.

I just received a phone message from our Trust Fund Office notifying the Retiree's of informational meeting's.

Quote:

Please verify dates, times and places for said meeting's at the following website.
https://www.ufcwtrust.com/UFCW/default.aspx

UEBT Retiree Meetings

The Trust Fund office, in coordination with the UFCW Union Locals 5, 8 and 648, have scheduled several informational meetings in the Northern California area to provide an overview of the benefit changes and answer any general questions you may have.

The following times and locations have been set up for these informational meetings:

Wed, Jan 16th, 2013:

9:30-11:00am – (San Jose).
San Jose Airport Garden Hotel
Castillian/Granada Room
1740 North First Street, San Jose

Wed, Jan 16th, 2013:

2:30-4:00pm – (Concord)
Crowne Plaza Hotel
Walnut Room
45 John Glenn Dr, Concord

Fri, Jan 18th, 2013:

10:00-11:30am – (San Francisco)
Holiday Inn
Gold Rush Ballroom (Lower Lobby Level)
1500 Van Ness, San Francisco

Mon, Jan 21st:

9:30-11:00am – (Modesto)
DoubleTree Hilton
Grand Ballroom
1150 9th St, Modesto

2:30-4:00pm – (Sacramento)
Red Lion Hotel (Formerly the Woodlake/Radisson)
Edgewater A Room
500 Leisure Lane, Sacramento

Please plan to attend one of these meetings if you have any questions about the changes.

Once again it raises the question concerning...

Quote:
Additionally, some of our Retiree's are elderly and have difficulty getting around, etc.

Speaking from former Local 839's jurisdiction, Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties, an hour commute more or less for our Retiree's who live within this area to attend the closest meeting in San Jose..

So much for making it easier and more convenient for our Retiree's to be able attend these meeting throughout Local 5's jurisdiction!

butch006
Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:05 pm

I just last weekend received the the uebt health plan for retirees and was shocked to read that even non working retirees will have to sign up for medical care under their spouses employer health care plan if one is available.It was my understanding according to the the Savemart contract as presented to the membership that the spouse of a retiree would require seperate health care coverage but nothing was said about non working retirees losing their primary coverage through the ufcw and being forced to go with the spouses healthcare provider.If I am wrong about my interpretation of these facts somebody please explain whatI am not understanding.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Hello butch006 and welcome.

To your question, I would like to suggest that you contact Rick Silva, our Trust Fund Administrator and submit your question(s) to him for the "official" answer to any / all of your question(s) concerning your Medical Benefits.

Quote:

Rick Silva / UEBT Trust Fund Administrator:

Contact Information:

rsilva@ufcwtrust.com

Any further questions, please let me know.

Additionally......if you are a Local 5 Member, here is the contact information for our Retiree Liasion, Alsye Davidson

Quote:

Alsye Davidson / Local 5 Retiree Liasion:

Contact Information:

adavidson@ufcw5.org

butch006
Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:19 pm

Actually I am with ufcw8 so I've had a hard time getting any information regarding the contract. But I would like to run a hypothetical situation by you.Let's pretend I am a married retiree.(Actually I am divorced and single in real life.}But if I were married what if I signed up under my spouses healthcare program at a likely cost of 1200 too $1500 a month for the 2 of us.I also carry the $250 a month ufcw medical as my secondary insurance.Pretty unaffordable right.At the same time my wife and I go to a divorce mediator and for about $2000 become legally divorced.We set up divorce paper that does no harm to either of us financially.{It can be done my ex and I did this}.Now that we are divorced I know longer have the right to be on her medical insurance nor her on mine.Upon finalization of the divorce I inform the union that I am going to upgrade my uebt healthcare to primary status because I am no longer legally eligible for healthcare coverage through my ex.Health care costs for my mate and I go from about $1700 a month to $950 a month Is the stigma of divorce worth having no healthcare because you can't afford it?

Page 1 of 5
page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  next
Jump to: