Home arrow Forums arrow News & Views arrow Dissident Labor Blamed for Toyotas Waffling

Dissident Labor Blamed for Toyotas Waffling

SharynS
Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:35 pm

In an old twist from the anti-union playbook, prominent auto-industry analysts and some government officials are warning that a coveted new automotive plant planned for Michigan is in jeopardy because of recent union activity in the state. The main threat, they say, is a group of dissident United Auto Workers members who are rallying against union leaders.

read more...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:40 pm

These UAW gals and guys who are calling themselves, Soldiers of Solidarity, have raised a few eyebrows (some of em' FBI agents no doubt) and they're scaring the hell out of Toyota, who has been using non-union labor in their other Michigan plants! Toyota is considering building a new plant in southern Michigan, but the SOS has them nervous. And Toyota isn't the only one showing signs of nervousness and anxiety. The UAW officialdom is also wary of these dissidents, the growth of their ranks, and their possibilities. Just last month about 500 unionists protested the January 9th Cobo Center Auto Show, which is Detroit's premier auto show preview.

SOS grew out of the Delphi bankruptcy fiasco in which they demanded a 60% pay cut for the UAW workers. The militant dissidents are saying NO to concessions and YES to confrontations, and they're saying it good and LOUD! The message from the members of SOS couldn't be more plain! From their growing ranks you can hear the sound of "Work to Rule", "No Concessions", and "International Solidarity". And they have been utilizing the picket as well, and the pictures with the R-evolution sign is just too cool and fits so well! It sure is refreshing to see the spark is still alive within the real people, and we the people are not giving up! There is no doubt that these Soldiers of Solidarity will not stand down!

Quote:
Someone suggested we needed a name. The motion for SOS was initiated, seconded, and passed so quickly that after a break I requested that we revisit the motion.

I told the group that the action was processed so quickly I was afraid we were acting like the Administrative Caucus at a UAW Convention. I wanted to be sure that members did not leave feeling the motion was ramrodded through without adequate deliberation and debate.

In further discussion members expressed (1) they felt like soldiers; (2) SOS was the signal for emergency and they felt it was an emergency; (3) the name didn’t restrict the organization to active UAW members and they wanted to be inclusive; (4) it has a militant ring.

In all four meetings there was a consensus expressed that we needed to broaden the struggle and be open to all workers — union and non union, active and retired, employed or unemployed, healthy or injured, skilled and unskilled, and professional as with teachers or nurses.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:51 pm

SOS - pure genius!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:25 pm

Quote:
In a recent interview with the Detroit Free Press, David Cole, director of the business-supported auto-industry analysis group Center for Auto Research (CAR), said concerns about the UAW -- and especially about a splinter group that has bucked both the union and corporate leaderships -- may hurt economic prospects by turning Toyota away from Michigan. Demonstrations and calls for grassroots action against UAW leaders by the dissident workers, which call themselves Soldiers of Solidarity(SoS), "absolutely scares the liver out of Toyota," Cole said.

Quote:
As The NewStandard reported previously, both UAW leaders and labor analysts have contended that this move could severely weaken the union.

How beautifully revealing. What corporatists and biz unionists are sweating about is not the weakening of the union. If anything, this kind of rank and file militancy can only strengthen the union. What they're worried about is that it will weaken the unions that were created to play ball with the corporatists and whose purpose was to keep workers sidelined and quiet and the concept of unionism as they would all like it to be understood.

The sweating will become much more widespread as the old paradigm begins to fall apart. It's going to be exciting days ahead.

(Wonder why Toyota had no qualms choosing a site in Ontariolast year? I guess they don't think there's any militancy to worry about up here. The worst that can happen to them is they get the CAW.)

BTW, I love the name Soldiers of Solidarity too. Cool
Back to top profile :: pm :: www
atuuschaaw
Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:54 am

There has been a massive show of solidarity for the Soldiers of Solidarity from over the entire globe. It's very heartening to see such a show of support from the global community. Dammit, there is hope! And on February 10 2006, the soldiers are heading to a Congressional Hearing in D.C. with Congressional members and the labor board to discuss corruption of the Internatiional Leadership of the UAW, several agencies of the Government such as EEOC, Wage and Hour and the National Labor Relations Board, and also General Motors Corporation and the un-needed Bankruptcy of Delphi, a spin-off of General Motors. These folks are movers and shakers I'm telling ya! Hooah Soldiers!

And as is normal these days, retirement is also an issue with the UAW just like it is to the rest of us. Todd Jordan writes on how the retirees are under the gun by the biz-union corporate concessionary weapons we see so much of these days!

Quote:
What an extraordinary example of business unionism that supports a policy of working side by side with General Motors executives in hand picking retired UAW International appointed representatives to “represent” all retirees in order to get these concessions made legal by a judge.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:18 am

Local 292 Leadership Fails To Organize, Again

Quote:
Another member asked” Why don’t we see you in the plant? You are our leaders and we need to see you. Spread yourselves out thin!”

The Vice-President said “I’m not a self proclaimed leader” and the brother who spoke snapped “We elected you as our leader did we not?”

She had no answer and responded by saying “if you need us, you know our phone number here at the union hall. We have voice mail.”

Another member raised his hand and asked about GM flow back rights. The Vice-President responded to this question also while everyone just sat back and listened. “We have no information, it is still being worked on. We don’t know anything.”

She then for some reason felt the need to say “Stop listening to opinions on handbills not authorized by the Local leadership. You need to trust your leaders and trust your contract. I have 27 years and have been through 5 plant closures I know what I‘m talking about.”

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: