Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow UFCW Local 5’s Recent Move(s) - Questions

UFCW Local 5’s Recent Move(s) - Questions

John Briley
Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:21 am

Lately I’ve been hearing rumors that UFCW Local 5 President John Nunes was going to try and bring "someone new” from our States Council for the “possibility” of handing over the Local Union to said individual during the next round of Local 5’s Election of Officers in July 2020, or sooner?

Interestingly enough when I went to the UFCW Western States Council website on Saturday, 1-19-19, I ran across the following announcement.

Quote:

http://www.ufcwwest.org

UFCW Western States Council Announces Changes in Top Leadership Post

JANUARY 7, 2019

Sacramento, CA – United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Western States Council today announced that Executive Director Jim Araby has accepted a position as Strategic Campaign Director for UFCW Local 5 in San Jose. Effective January 18, 2019, Amber Parrish Baur will serve as acting Executive Director for the States Council.

Baur currently serves as UFCW Western States Council’s Political Director where she has helped elect progressive candidates for office and enact stronger worker protections.

“Jim’s departure leaves big shoes to fill at UFCW Western States Council, but I am eager to ensure a smooth transition that will allow the union to continue its leadership into 2019,” said Baur.

“The 200,000 working members of UFCW Western States Council are grateful for Jim Araby’s leadership on behalf of California’s working families.” said Kirk Vogt, acting Council President, UFCW Western States Council.

“I am extremely proud of the work we accomplished at UFCW Western States Council for working Californians. said Jim Araby. “I look forward to continuing to lift up California’s working people in my new capacity with UFCW Local 5.”

# # #

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 6, 2019

It appears that,........

Quote:
United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Western States Council today announced that Executive Director Jim Araby has accepted a position as Strategic Campaign Director for UFCW Local 5 in San Jose.

My initial reaction was why would Mr. Araby leave such a "lucrative position" as the Executive Director of the UFCW Western States Council for a position at Local 5 as the Strategic Campaign Director?

Doesn’t make any sense to me unless the ultimate goal is to hand the Local Union over to Mr. Araby!

Quote:

UFCW Western States Council:

https://olms.dol-esa.gov/query/orgReport.do

SCHEDULE 12 - DISBURSEMENTS TO EMPLOYEES FILE NUMBER: 533-806

Araby , James F. Executive Director - $158,388

I do wonder “if” UFCW Local 5 Members, Executive Board, Directors and Staff are aware of this most recent move by President Nunes? So many unanswered questions?

More importantly, I wonder what UFCW Local 5’s Secretary - Treasurer Jack Landes is feeling right about now, knowing that there's a strong possibility that Nunes is making a move to squeeze Landes out?

@ Jack Landes, and you say what??

Furthermore, I couldn’t find anything on Local 5’s website concerning Nunes most recent move.

https://ufcw5.org

Well.........I guess we will have to keep an eye on all of the above and watch and see what will happen.
Back to top profile :: pm
Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow UFCW Local 5’s Recent Move(s) - Questions
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: