Home arrow Forums arrow News & Views arrow Dan Rush: UFCW Organizer Indicted

Dan Rush: UFCW Organizer Indicted

page: prev  1, 2
SharynS
Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Twenty years sounds fair and the affidavit leaves not much wiggle room for leniency. The crimes eloquently laid out and I especially like #14 on the list where another suspect (Terbeek) is basically informed not to leave the country.
Quote:
14. Terbeek has been informed by the United States Attorney's Office the he is a target of this investigation and is likely to be prosecuted.
All around great read!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:28 pm

Quote:
All around great read!
Sharyn,... Yes Indeed!

So I thought it would be interesting if we could follow the money trail by connecting the dots / LM2 Reports on behalf of Dan Rush throughout his employment career with the UFCW.

Let's begin with the following found in the Criminal Complaint.
Quote:
E. Summary of Probable Federal Criminal Violations

(Page 18 of 21)

Excerpt:

53. The evidence set forth above shows that RUSH, as an official of the UFCW, accepted money or things of value from an agent of employers that would employ individuals who would be admitted to membership in the UFCW, including: a) payments totaling $50,000 form Andersen; b) $51,000 of stock in AMCD, Inc. from Andersen; c) a loan of $500,000 in cash from Kaufman; d) a loan of $100,000 in cash from Kaufman; and e) $600,000 in loan forgiveness from Kaufman.
With respect to Dan Rush and his employment history with the UFCW, I will use his own work experience Mr. Rush
listed / posted in his LinkedIn account.
Quote:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dan-rush/27/6a3/996

Dan Rush

Organizing Medical Cannabis and Hemp Workers in the USA & Canada
Washington D.C. Metro AreaPolitical Organization

Current
United Food and Commercial Workers International Union

Previous
United Food Commercial Workers International Union, UFCW Local 5, UFCW Local 120

Education
Dewey High School-Oakland CA

Experience:

Director, Cannabis Workers Rising of North America Campaign:

September 2013 – Present (2 years) Washington DC
Organizing Medical Cannabis and Hemp Workers in North America.
National Director Medical Cannabis and Hemp Division:

United Food Commercial Workers International Union
January 2012 – September 2013 (1 year 9 months) Washington DC

Design/maintain UFCW International Union National Medical Cannabis and Hemp Division Organizing Campaign.
Statewide Special Operations Director:

UFCW Local 5
January 2007 – January 2011 (4 years 1 month)

Direct Local 5's Statewide Ballot participation (aka Statewide Special Operations). Director, Medical Cannabis and Hemp Division, develop/Organize Local 5's Medical Cannabis and Hemp Industries 0rganizing Program .
Political Director:

UFCW Local 120
January 1991 – December 2006 (16 years)
Developed and executed Local 120's Political Program.
Mr. Rush lists his employment dates with the UFCW I.U. from January 2012 to the present, (2015).

Note: Thursday, August 13, 2015

"Rush has been fired from the union, said spokeswoman Amber Sparks".

“What Mr. Rush has been accused of is not only shocking to us, it is a betrayal for what we at the UFCW stand for,” she said. “Going forward, the UFCW will undertake a full review of Rush’s activities to determine if any worker or their family were adversely affected by his activities and, if so, take appropriate corrective action.”

Note: It appears that Mr. Rush received compensation from the I.U. in 2011 according to the applicable 2011 UFCW I.U. LM2 Report.

Since the 2015 UFCW I.U. LM2 Reports will not be available until early 2016, here are the LM2 Reports that are available for review on behalf of Dan Rush and his employment with the UFCW I.U.
Quote:
UFCW I.U.'s LM2 File Number is 000-056.

Here is the link for the DOL Website to obtain LM2 Reports.

http://kcerds.dol-esa.gov/query/getOrgQry.do

Note: Since I do not know the specific policy as it pertains to each individual's expenses, allowances, etc., I will be using their “total amount” of monies listed on each of their LM2 Report's.

Please refer to each individual's respective yearly LM2 report for their “detailed amount” of allowances, disbursements, etc.

I apologize in advance for any inadvertent errors or omissions and the applicable LM2 Report for each individual shall govern.
Dan Rush

(2015 LM2 Report Pending)

(2014 LM2 Report)

RUSH, DANIEL J
Organizing Coordinator
$94,104 $0 $37,661 $0 $131,765

(2013 LM2 report)

RUSH, DANIEL J
Organizing Coordinator
$93,354 $0 $27,770 $0 $121,124

(2012 LM2 Report)

RUSH, DANIEL J
Organizing Coordinator
$93,323 $0 $40,134 $0 $133,457

(2011 LM2 Report)

RUSH, DANIEL J
ORGANIZING COORDINATOR
$35,237 $0 $14,295 $0 $49,532
Additionally, Mr. Rush lists his employment dates with UFCW Local 5 from January 2007 to January 2011
(4 years 1 month)
Quote:
UFCW Local 5 LM2 File Number is 543-632.

Note: Since I do not know the specific policy as it pertains to each individual's expenses, allowances, etc., I will be using their “total amount” of monies listed on each of their LM2 Report's.

Please refer to each individual's respective yearly LM2 report for their “detailed amount” of allowances, disbursements, etc.

I apologize in advance for any inadvertent errors or omissions and the applicable LM2 Report for each individual shall govern.

Dan Rush

(2014 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2013 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2012 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2011 LM2 Report)

Rush, Daniel
Representative
$24,862 $5,322 $2,921 $0 $33,105

(2010 LM2 Report)

Rush, Daniel
Representative
$14,668 $0 $300 $0 $14,968

(2009 LM2 Report)

Rush, Daniel
$12,960 $0 $41 $0 $13,001

(2008 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2007 LM2 Report) = No Entries
Finally, Mr. Rush lists his employment dates with UFCW Local 120 from January 1991 to December 2006 (16 years) as UFCW Local 120's Political Director.

Note: UFCW Local 120 subsequently merged with six (6) other Bay Area UFCW Local Unions to create UFCW Local 5 effective January 1, 2007.

Accordingly, Mr. Rush states that he developed and executed Local 120's Political Program.

UFCW Local 120's President at the time was Tim Hamann.

Note: Tim Hamann subsequently became Secretary-Treasurer at UFCW Local 5.

While at UFCW Local 5 you may remember Mr. Hamann from the following threads.

UFCW 5 Sham or Charity?
http://forums.uncharted.ca/viewtopic.php?t=2195

UFCW Local 5 For $ale
http://forums.uncharted.ca/viewtopic.php?t=1837

Based on the above, one would assume that as an employee at UFCW Local 120, Mr. Rush would've been compensated by Local 120?

Interestingly enough, when you review UFCW Local 120 LM2 Reports for the dates of employment in question for Dan Rush, I wasn't able to find any entries!

In addition, there were only LM2 Reports available for UFCW Local 120 from 2006 - 2000.
Quote:
UFCW Local 120 LM2 File Number is 047-332.

Dan Rush

(2006 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2005 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2004 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2003 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2002 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2001 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2000 LM2 Report) = No Entries
So there you have it.

Maybe the FBI will be able to answer the question about Dan Rush and how and or if, he was ever compensated at UFCW Local 120 as their Political Director?
Back to top profile :: pm
John Briley
Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:57 am

Once again, let's review UFCW Local 5's "official" statement regarding Dan Rush.

Quote:

http://ufcw5.org/ufcw-local-5-statement-on-the-indictment-of-dan-rush/

UFCW Local 5 Statement on the Indictment of Dan Rush

August 14, 2015

Dan Rush, a former employee of the UFCW International Union, was recently indicted on violations of the Taft-Hartley Act.

After the merger that formed UFCW Local 5 in 2007 Rush was hired to work on various projects for the union. Rush was subsequently hired by the UFCW International Union in 2014 to head up their cannabis division. When a new administration was sworn into office at UFCW Local 5 on December 1, 2014 a communication was sent to Rush, on January 8, 2015, requesting that he transfer membership to a local in the Washington DC area.

The indictment of Dan Rush in no way reflects negatively on the hard-working members of Local 5. The union represents nearly 30,000 members employed primarily in retail grocery & meat, retail, agriculture and food processing. They work hard every day to provide for their families and the union works hard every day to represent their interests. The sordid details of the indictment are diametrically opposed to the objectives and mission of Local 5 and its members. Rush has not worked for Local 5 for a long time and upon taking office the new administration requested he transfer locals.

@ UFCW Local 5 President John Nunes, Secretary-Treasurer Jack Landes and "Heir Apparent" Mike Henneberry.

Note: Re: photo above. (left to right) Jack Landes & John Nunes.

Note: Michael Henneberry, UFCW Local 5's Communications Director.

I'm curious whether or not the three (3) of you did any research what-so-ever as to the facts surrounding Dan Rush and his work experience / history with the UFCW I.U. before you prepared the above "official statement" re: Mr. Rush?

Specifically, Local 5 wrote the following.

Quote:

Rush was subsequently hired by the UFCW International Union in 2014 to head up their cannabis division.

Unfortunately there appears to be a big discrepancy with Local 5's "version" for Mr. Rush and his work experience / history with the UFCW I.U. compared to what in fact Dan Rush actually listed / posted on his "LinkedIn Account" outlining his work experience / history with the UFCW I.U. (see above)

Quote:

Dan Rush / UFCW I.U. Work / Experience History

Excerpt / LinkedIn Acct.

Experience:

Director, Cannabis Workers Rising of North America Campaign:

September 2013 – Present (2 years) Washington DC
Organizing Medical Cannabis and Hemp Workers in North America.
National Director Medical Cannabis and Hemp Division:

United Food Commercial Workers International Union
January 2012 – September 2013 (1 year 9 months) Washington DC

Design/maintain UFCW International Union National Medical Cannabis and Hemp Division Organizing Campaign.

Once again, after reviewing the following UFCW I.U. LM2 Reports on behalf of Mr. Rush, clearly said LM2 Reports reflect the fact that Dan Rush received compensation from the UFCW I.U. in 2011 - 2012 - 2013 and 2014!

Quote:
UFCW I.U.'s LM2 File Number is 000-056.

Dan Rush

(2015 LM2 Report Pending)

(2014 LM2 Report)

RUSH, DANIEL J
Organizing Coordinator
$94,104 $0 $37,661 $0 $131,765

(2013 LM2 report)

RUSH, DANIEL J
Organizing Coordinator
$93,354 $0 $27,770 $0 $121,124

(2012 LM2 Report)

RUSH, DANIEL J
Organizing Coordinator
$93,323 $0 $40,134 $0 $133,457

(2011 LM2 Report)

RUSH, DANIEL J
ORGANIZING COORDINATOR
$35,237 $0 $14,295 $0 $49,532

Furthermore, UFCW Local 5 wrote the following re: Dan Rush.

Quote:
Rush has not worked for Local 5 for a long time and upon taking office the new administration requested he transfer locals.

Once again, there appears to be another discrepancy with Local 5's version and reality!

I guess it's a matter of interpretation as to what not working for Local 5 for a long time really means?

When reviewing the following UFCW Local 5 LM2 Reports on behalf of Dan Rush, clearly said LM2 Reports reflect the fact that Dan Rush received compensation from UFCW Local 5 in 2011 - 2010 and 2009.

Quote:
UFCW Local 5 LM2 File Number is 543-632.

Dan Rush

(2014 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2013 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2012 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2011 LM2 Report)

Rush, Daniel
Representative
$24,862 $5,322 $2,921 $0 $33,105

(2010 LM2 Report)

Rush, Daniel
Representative
$14,668 $0 $300 $0 $14,968

(2009 LM2 Report)

Rush, Daniel
$12,960 $0 $41 $0 $13,001

(2008 LM2 Report) = No Entries

(2007 LM2 Report) = No Entries

I'll leave it up to each individual's own interpretation "if" by Dan Rush receiving compensation from UFCW Local 5 in 2011, "qualifies" as not working for Local 5 for a long time??????

@ Nunes, Landes and Henneberry,..... you need to re-write your "official statement" and get your SHIT TOGETHER with your next DO-OVER statement!

John Briley
Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Quote:
Does anyone know how many black marks a union organization (ufcw) can get before they label it a crime syndicate?
@ Sharyn,........

I know you remember this individual. Big News back in the day!

Joseph C. Talarico, "former" UFCW I.U. Secretary-Treasurer?
Quote:
Cheap Words From a Labour Faker
http://www.m-f-d.org/pdf/talarico.pdf

SharynS
Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:59 pm

Quote:
He's a convicted felon and a labour faker...
Who could forget.

And while we're on the subject of criminal activity by ufcw machine heads; - meet Dan's "lawyer" - Mr. William Osterhoudt (note to self: google mr. Osterhoudt).

Assuming the facebook page noted in the link above and Mr. William Osterhoudt are legit, Mr. William Osterhoudt would seem late to the indictment party - and also appears to ignore the more pressing question. And/or it's a feeble attempt at diverting attention away from the more pressing question?

According to the FB page, Mr. William Osterhoudt is saying no-one should be too hard on Rush because... well because Rush has been at it for quite awhile? Well yes, but that's the pressing question; at what for quite awhile?
Quote:
This treatment of Mr. Rush is entirely unjustified
Not really Mr. Osterhoudt, have you read the affidavit from the FBI agent and the list of violations?
Quote:
He has given the better part of his adult life to the Union Movement and has served the UFCW honorably for many years.
Honorably? - that's not exactly what the latest revelation is suggesting but again - it's why we have courts of law right?

"Mr. William Osterhoudt's" unsupported support of Rush aside, it leaves the burning question still burning. How much of Dan Rush's long union history was spent selling out hard working People in order to pad his own pocket?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:42 am

News article(s) updates for your review.......

Quote:

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 / East Bay Express

Indicted Pot Union Ex-Official Dan Rush Says He Will Be Vindicated

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/LegalizationNation/archives/2015/08/18/indicted-pot-union-ex-official-dan-rush-says-he-will-be-vindicated

Excerpt:

Dan Rush, Oakland’s leading union organizer for the cannabis industry, was arrested and released last week on federal charges of violating labor laws and committing fraud. The FBI's Public Corruption and Civil Rights Squad has accused Rush of accepting over $600,000 in cash and gifts from a dispensary operator for whom he reportedly sold favors and advised on how to prevent unionization. If convicted, he could face a sentence of up to 25 years.

The United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) announced on Friday that it had fired Rush. And Derek Peterson and Martin Kaufman of Blum dispensary in Oakland and TerraTech in Nevada issued a press release confirming they recorded conversations on Rush for federal agents, and defending that activity. On Friday, Rush responded to the federal charges with a statement on Facebook from his attorney. In his post, Rush said he expects to be vindicated by the legal process, and his lawyers called his firing from the UCFW “entirely unjustified”.

Quote:

Not-So-High Times for the UFCW

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 / by LaborPains.org Team

http://laborpains.org

Excerpt:

From 2010 to 2014, Rush received money or other items of value from people representing the employers of potential union members, in violation of federal law, authorities said. The affidavit says Rush borrowed $600,000 in cash from a marijuana dispensary operator but was unable to repay the debt.
In exchange for forgiveness of this personal debt, Rush and an attorney he works with “took steps to provide various labor benefits to the (dispensary operator), including union support for opening dispensaries and reducing or eliminating pressure to unionize dispensary workers,” the complaint says.

Quote:

Chem Tales: Superman Falls

By Chris Roberts

Wednesday, Aug 19 2015 / SF Weekly

http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/cannabis-marijuana-medical-cannabis-medical-marijuana-cannabis-industry-ufcw-united-food-and-commercial-workers-dan-rush-labor-oaklan/Content?oid=3955093

Excerpt:

His indictment is barely a week old, but many of his former friends in organized labor and the cannabis industry have already buried Dan Rush.

Rush, 54, was once the gregarious director of the United Food and Commercial Workers' national medical cannabis and hemp division; on Aug. 10, he was indicted in federal court on two felony counts of violating labor law.

Enforcer
Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:06 am

Documents pertaining to the case of United States of America v. Daniel Rush
Enforcer
Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:41 pm

NEW DOCUMENTS pertaining to the case of United States of America v. Daniel Rush:

Enforcer
Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Daniel “Dan” Rush has been arraigned on 9/23/2015, and has pleaded not guilty.

NEW DOCUMENT AVAILABLE:

Next Hearing/Appearance for Daniel “Dan” Rush:

Quote:

Type: Status Conference

Location: 18th Floor, 450 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco, CA

Court Room Number: 15

Date: 9/28/2015 – Monday

Time: 2:00pm

Enforcer
Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:48 pm

Daniel “Dan” Rush had his scheduled status conference on 9/28/2015; before Judge Hon. Haywood

NEW DOCUMENT AVAILABLE:

Next Hearing/Appearance for Daniel “Dan” Rush:

Quote:

Type: Status Conference - Held

Date: 10/26/2015 at 2:00pm

Enforcer
Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:31 am

Apologies for the delay.

Quote:

12/11/2015 -- STATUS CONFERENCE STATEMENT by Daniel Rush. (Attachments: # 1 Declaration)(Osterhoudt, William) (Filed on 12/11/2015) Modified on 12/14/2015 (kcS, COURT STAFF). (Entered: 12/11/2015)

Quote:
Declaration by Attorney for Dan Rush

DECLARATION OF ATTORNEY ALAN CAPLAN IN SUPPORT OF DEFENDANT’S DECEMBER 11, 2015 STATUS REPORT

I, Alan P. Caplan, hereby state under the pains and penalties of perjury as follows:

1. I am co-counsel for defendant Daniel Rush, together with Attorney William Osterhoudt.

2. On November 18, 2015 I received a series of eight discovery discs from the government.

…..

13. Disc 6 contains 9,085 pages of documents and images,

The sub-sub-folder labeled “IMAGES”, in turn, contains six (6) sub-sub-sub folders labeled “0001” through “0006” respectively, and contain the following JPEG images:
……

Page 4:

0005 – 1726 pages of UFCW documents and materials.

0006 – 674 pages of UFCW and United Labor Bank materials and documents.

….

Page 5:

0004 – 1036 pages of what appear to be PG&E, UFCW, and Trans Union documents in text format.

0005 – 1726 pages of what appear to be UFCW documents in text format.

0006 – 693 pages of what appear to be UFCW and United Labor Bank documents in text format.

Home arrow Forums arrow News & Views arrow Dan Rush: UFCW Organizer Indicted
Page 2 of 2
page: prev  1, 2
Jump to: