Home arrow Forums arrow The Soap Box arrow East Coast mob crackdown

East Coast mob crackdown

Laboryes
Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Quote:
More than 800 law enforcement officers participated in the pre-dawn raids in New York City, New Jersey and New England, arresting defendants charged with crimes including murder, loansharking, extortion and labor racketeering.

Nearly 120 arrested in East Coast mob crackdown

Hmmm...I wonder if this little bust will put any dents in the UFCW's day to day business?

wm pasz
Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Another report

In Canada these guys are allowed to operate with impunity.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Quote:
Hmmm...I wonder if this little bust will put any dents in the UFCW's day to day business?

I don't know the answer to that question LY, however, for those of us who have been around long enough, are fully aware of the fact the UFCW I.U. has a history and a "propensity for bad behavior" over the years!!!!

Here is the link for the complete text:

http://www.americanmafia.com/Feature_Articles_199.html

By way of a few examples re: the above link, read on.....

Quote:
The UFCW in recent years has been rocked by numerous corruption scandals. In 1998 Joseph Talirico, the former number two man in the UFCW National office, the Secretary-Treasurer, pleaded guilty to embezzling over $925,000 from UFCW Local 1 in New York. $10,000 of the money paid for Talirico’s hair transplant. Besides the $925,000 that was stolen, Talirico and four family members received over $1 million in Union salaries and expense accounts during the year 1996 alone.

Rather than denounce Talirico’s crimes committed against the workers, UFCW President Douglas Dority and former President William Wynn praised Talirico in letters sent to U. S. District Court Judge Frederick Scullin, Jr. during the sentencing stage of Talarico’s trial. "In my mind," Dority wrote to the Judge, "his integrity is unquestioned!"

Quote:
REAP has also revealed that UFCW Vice-President Gary Duckett, wanted for questioning by the FBI as a bank robbery suspect, was found floating in a Washington D. C. river with a gunshot wound to his head; that UFCW Vice-President Leo Cinaglia was convicted in Federal Court of taking bribes from an employer; that UFCW Comptroller Maria Coleman embezzled over $1.7 million from the workers; that the UFCW merged with a Brooklyn-based Union corrupted by the Luchese Mafia Family in 1998; that 5 officials of UFCW Local 174 in New York City were indicted for extortion; and that 2 UFCW Local 880 representatives in Ohio were cited in a $16,000 pay scam.

Some additional information for your review regarding Joseph Talarico:

http://www.m-f-d.org/pdf/talarico.pdf

Speaking of former UFCW I.U. President William Wynn:

Quote:
A 1993 feature in New York Newsday revealed that while William Wynn was President he traveled the country in a $5 million jet owned by the UFCW, which costs the workers $1.3 million a year to maintain. In 1990 Wynn sold to the UFCW his house in Virginia for $620,000, twice the value of $337,000 assessed by the County. The deal, approved by top officers including Douglas Dority, then allowed Wynn to live in the house rent-free for three years until the scandal was exposed by a group of dissident UFCW Union members who have formed an anti-corruption organization called Research-Education-Advocacy-People. (REAP)

http://www.cpcs.umb.edu/labor_notes/files/17807.pdf
Back to top profile :: pm
Lex87
Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Wow- that's a crazy big raid! Any more details about the case?

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: