Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow Mondo Condo: Director's Cut

Mondo Condo: Director's Cut

page: prev  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  next
hawk
Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:33 pm

When I was hired I thought that I was a "member" of the Teamsters.

In two years the only correspondence I got from the UFCW was to attend a meeting in the far west side of the city and then I got a pile of offers to take job related training courses that the union set up with a private company. The courses were expensive but don't worry UFCW employees got a small discount.

I wonder if there were kickbacks for getting hundreds of students for this private "school" for courses that were given throughout the province.

Nothing was for free. My 'dues" just pays for a benefit package that really is not too bad. Not enough however for me to want to march in the Labour Day parade under the UFCW banner.
Back to top profile :: pm
hawk
Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:36 pm

I filed a small claims case against the condominium this morning.It cost $75.00. This afternoon I served the papers at Vero Property Management, as they are the management for this condo.

Not a big deal but I should be able to get a court order to see the records, plus $500.00 plus my costs.

Since last February I have been asking to look at the records and my requests kept getting ignored.

This case will be yet one more indication how the board of directors, George Marchi, president of De Marco Funeral Homes, Joe Ieradi and Peter Leone, are failing to do their duties under the Condo Act.

Better late than never.

I will show how to follow the small claims process on our website fairly soon.

Quote:

Fletcher: You - -LIAR! You know what I am going to do about this?
Motorpool Guy: what?

Fletcher: Nothing! Because if I take it to small claims court, it will just drain 8 hours out of my life and you probably won't show up and even if I got the judgment you'd just stiff me anyway; so what I am going to do is piss and moan like an impotent jerk, and then bend over and take it up the tailpipe!

from the movie: Liar, Liar

hawk
Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Whenever anyone complains to Joe Ieradi or Anna about how bad things are at the Westmount, they hear how Phase II will be starting soon and then all of our problems will be over.

The landscaping will be done, the amenities built, your gout cured, eyesight improved and hair will grow back on bald heads; all of this and more once Phase II starts.

Up till now they have been careful to give vague promises. They say Phase II will start soon; a few weeks, next month, in a month, in some undefined moment in the future.

Well, last Thursday Anna made an big mistake. She told an owner that she had the building permits in her hands.

Wow! Big news that traveled around the building by the Lobby Rats.

However, there is a problem with "facts." They can be checked. So first thing Friday morning, I phoned the city planning department and found out that Joe has some distance to go before he can get his building permits and that the file has been inactive for a year now.

So I told one owner. He called the city and he got the same answer. Then he told the owner who was talking to Anna. He too phoned the city and got the same answer. He was pretty upset to learn he was lied to.

There are two stories with the details on this at:

http://www.westmountcondoslife.com/contents-frontpage.html

Quote:
I apologize for lying to you. I promise I won't deceive you except in matters of this sort.
Spiro T. Agnew

hawk
Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:30 pm

The main goal of the www.westmountcondoslife.com web site is to inform the owners and residents of our building what is going on in their building and to give them information as much as we can and tell them WHY all of this is happening.

Another goal is to inform all condo owners in North America of potential problems that they could be facing and to teach them how to fight poor management.

Finally, I hope that it can give hope to activists everywhere so they will start their own websites as one of their tools to fight against the little evils in this world.

Fight bad managers, bad company policies, corrupt union officials, crooked local politicians, gangsters and dope pushers who are destroying neighbourhoods bigots, local businesses that pollute or cheat customers or even a coffee shop or strip mall who will not clean up their litter.

Start small stay small.

Pick targets that are worth fighting against and most importantly ones that can, maybe with a lot of effort, be beaten.
wm pasz
Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:25 pm

I noticed on your website a posting about the condo's precarious financial situation and also about owners now having trouble renewing their mortgages because their banks consider the building high risk. Some other recent posts indicate that maintenance in the building is getting worse (numerous burned out bulbs not replaced, no window washing this year, etc.)

This all paints a really disturbing picture and there's all the more reason to be concerned about the lack of recourse for the owners other than through long and costly court proceedings.

What's also really interesting is the similarities that exist between the hijacking of your condo board and the hijacking of union organizations. It's almost as though Joe and his pals have used the same recipe that's been used for decades to infiltrate union executive boards, pension boards and so forth. In these situations many innocent people end up getting screwed over and there's little they can do about it unless they're willing to risk their life savings and more.

It's alarming that a building in what is really a fairly quiet area would be considered high risk by a bank. I wonder if the condition of the garage, number visits by the cops, aging plumbing, burned out bulbs, lack of security have anything to do with that?

I have a theory: Joe and his pals are running the place down, doing as little as possible because they have other uses for your condo fees and the reserve fund (if there's anything left in it by now). As the owners find themselves trapped in units that they can't sell (without taking a loss) and can't refinance, Joe and his pals get into the mortgage financing business. Isn't there already some mortgage outfit holed up in one of the units? They offer to help out these poor stranded owners at a nice profit for themselves. Watch for this to happen some time soon. I can smell it.

Hey, this could be the next step in the scam perpetrated by the guys who brought you the great pension plan fleecing. First they scammed the pension plan to buy, build and renovate properties. Now they can scam the owners of those properties. And our feckless regulatory agencies are totally powerless to do anything about it.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Quote:
Finally, I hope that it can give hope to activists everywhere so they will start their own websites as one of their tools to fight against the little evils in this world.

Fight bad managers, bad company policies, corrupt union officials, crooked local politicians, gangsters and dope pushers who are destroying neighbourhoods bigots, local businesses that pollute or cheat customers or even a coffee shop or strip mall who will not clean up their litter.

Start small stay small.

Pick targets that are worth fighting against and most importantly ones that can, maybe with a lot of effort, be beaten.

This is really great btw. I've gradually come to the conclusion over the years that the internet will not change the world by shifting the consciousness of many millions on big issues but will enable small, community-based pods (for lack of a better word) to root out the self-interested pods that are what is really behind a great deal of our misery.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:51 pm

This web site started small and had very limited goals.

It was designed to embarrass Joe Ieradi, Peter Leone and George Marchi, our board of directors into cleaning this place up.

The website upset them but not enough to do their duties for the betterment of the rest of the owners. However, the website just kept growing. It has become almost like a daily newsletter.

It is accomplishing its goal of bringing the owners together because they are learning what is going on at the Westmount and that we all have common grievances against Joe Ieradi.

The website also forced us to learn how to research information, learn the condo act, learn how to contact city hall, search corporate records and to build contacts with a few activists in other condos.

Not only do we have to be a strong opposition to the Joe Ieradi but we also have to think about building up the skill sets of the residents so they will feel comfortable in becoming board members.

Small time organizing is the only effective organizing that very small groups of people with very limited funds can accomplish.
Quote:
If you want to know the taste of a pear, you must change the pear by eating it yourself. If you want to know the theory and methods of revolution, you must take part in revolution. All genuine knowledge originates in direct experience.
Mao Zedong

Last edited by hawk on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
the doc
Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Hawk, I don't know how many comdo owners you have, that you can count on, but I would get together and withhold your condo fees. Put them into a separate bank account. Tell Joe he gets the money when he gives all a full accounting and not before. He also must have elections for the board and all contracts let out have to be authorized by a majority of the owners. This majority must be condo owners who are totally paid up on their condo fees or they are not allowed to cast a vote. If he threatens to take you to court all the better, cause he will have to explain what is going on before a judge. What you don't want is your money going into someone's pocket that is not legal shall we say. If Joe does not have the money something is going to crack, and you might as well be the catalist because it seems you are going to get screwed no matter which way you go, but you might as well get going in the right direction.
hawk
Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:18 am

Our lawyer says that a condo fee strike is a real bad idea as the judge will never let the condo default on its obligations. We will just get hit with expensive legal bills.

A rent strike in a rental building is a reasonable tactic.

We will go back to superior court and ask for a court-appointed administrator.

The condo is a corporation and the law protects corporations over the interests of a minority of owners.

If there was an easy fix to this problem, it would not have dragged on so long.
hawk
Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:44 am

There is a lot of talk about taking a condominium board to court if they do not allow an owner to inspect and examine the condo's records. In Ontario you can collect $500 in Small Claims Court.

However, I haven't heard of a case where anyone actually did it. So I started the process and i have described it on the website. So far it has been pretty clear sailing.

You can read all about it at:
http://www.westmountcondoslife.com/contents-small-claims.html
SharynS
Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:05 am

Nice work hawk!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:42 pm

Being a rebel can be so much fun.

I bought a dozen buttons from my neigbourhood print shop for 42 cents each plus a one-time $5.00 setup fee.

It says "Nightmare on Keele Street http://www.westmountcondoslife.com/.

It is a white button with the statement in red letters and the web address in black. Simple and eye catching.

Cheap too.

I knew that reading all those Doonesbury cartoons with Mark Slackmeyer and the Abbie Hoffman books in my youth was entertaining but who would have known they could be so educational and become so practical.

People love buttons. I am sure I will have to re-order.

Quote:
Once you get the right image the details aren't that important.
Abbie Hoffman

hawk
Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:16 pm

edit

Last edited by hawk on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
wm pasz
Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:25 pm

Who is this lawyer? Is he or she connected to Joe and his pals somehow? It seems like pretty strange behaviour.

And speaking of strangeness, I've been reading some your recent posts about the condo's financial mess. In my humble opinion, this place is being looted and I don't know what it's going to take for our law enforcement agencies to wake up and smell the coffee on this. What really points in the direction of deliberate scamming are the chronic late payments for utilities. They are chronically in arrears and, much like the guy who can't keep up with his credit card bills, paying only as much as is absolutely necessary to keep the lights on.

I don't buy the explanation that this is because some of the owners are late with their condo fees. This is a place with two, maybe 3, management companies (Vero, Westmount Keele and possibly another one). There shouldn't be any late payments to anyone and there's plenty of people around to chase after owners who may be in arrears with their fees.

Also, by my calculations there should be about $1 million coming in annually in condo fees, so even a few owners being in arrears shouldn't put the place on the brink of financial catastrophe. The fact that the reserve fund has been depleted, added to the fact that the building had a deficit of $141,000 two years ago and no records have been disclosed to the owners since then, added to the fact that bills for something as basic as hydro are chronically in arrears points in one direction only: The treasury is being looted. Condo fees come in and flow out the back door. As little as possible is retained, just enough to keep the lights, water and heat working. The fact that neither Joe nor Joe will cough up the financial records should, in the circumstances, be enough for probable and reasonable cause.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Regal Windows and Doors, a contractor, has won a judgment against TSCC # 1786 for $19,540.30 plus interest.

Their lawyer told me that our board of directors has ignored a half a dozen letters. He is about to start title searches to put liens on all the units. He said he would e-mail me a copy of the judgment.

I told him about the website.
Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow Mondo Condo: Director's Cut
Page 12 of 14
page: prev  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  next
Jump to: