Home arrow Forums arrow The Soap Box arrow Shades of R-evolution?

Shades of R-evolution?

atuuschaaw
Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:17 pm

I watched the live streaming of the flash conference, PdF Symposium on Wikileaks and Internet Freedom this weekend. The entire archived event is almost three and a half hours long, but well worth the investment of time IMHO. This leak issue goes way beyond Assange or Wikileaks...it is more like a quickening.

Just my opinion of course, but I'm thinking this piece by Mark Pesce reduces the leak issues to their common denominators and is most definitely worth a read:

Quote:
The state has now realized the full cost of digitization, the price of bits. Just as the recording industry learned a decade ago, it will now have to function within an ecology which – like it or not – has an absolutely fluid quality. Information flow is corrosive to institutions, whether that’s a record label or a state ministry. To function in a hyperconnected world, states must hyperconnect, but every point of connection becomes a gap through which the state’s power leaks away. read more...

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:30 pm

Quote:
For the past three hundred years, the relationship between the press and the state has been straightforward: the press tries to publish, the state uses its various mechanisms to thwart those efforts.

What planet is this guy from? The press and the state have been working collaboratively together for at least the last 100 of those 300 years - hence my skepticism about the whole wikileaks movie.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:22 pm

wm pasz wrote:
Quote:
For the past three hundred years, the relationship between the press and the state has been straightforward: the press tries to publish, the state uses its various mechanisms to thwart those efforts.

What planet is this guy from? The press and the state have been working collaboratively together for at least the last 100 of those 300 years - hence my skepticism about the whole wikileaks movie.

He follows that statement with — This has produced a cat-and-mouse steady-state, a balance where selection pressures kept the press tamed and the state – in many circumstances – somewhat accountable to the governed. There are, as always, exceptions.

I must say I'm somewhat surprised all of the issues raised by the leak haven't peaked your interest more than it has. I too think an amount of skepticism and even a tad of cynicism is healthy given what we know of the past. But I also want to be close to the dock just in case the boat is launched. Wink

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Does anyone still care about wikileak contents? An elaborate scheme to censor/shut down/secure the internet way plausible. It doesn't change the worldwide reaction to and discussions that are coming from and surrounding this event. There are a number of things that 'they' could turn back but I don't think the discussion is one of them.

The internet is obviously optimal but not the only means of communication and connectivity. I'll be at the dock with AT. Right now a world in which geeks call all the shots is the movie I got playing in my head.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:15 pm

Siggy, I'll bring a coffee pot! It can get mighty cold down on those docks. Smile

The latest from Michael Moore on his role in the new Wikileaks movie.

Quote:
I am publicly offering the assistance of my website, my servers, my domain names and anything else I can do to keep WikiLeaks alive and thriving as it continues its work to expose the crimes that were concocted in secret and carried out in our name and with our tax dollars.

WikiLeaks deserves our thanks for shining a huge spotlight on all this. But some in the corporate-owned press have dismissed the importance of WikiLeaks ("they've released little that's new!") or have painted them as simple anarchists ("WikiLeaks just releases everything without any editorial control!"). WikiLeaks exists, in part, because the mainstream media has failed to live up to its responsibility. The corporate owners have decimated newsrooms, making it impossible for good journalists to do their job. There's no time or money anymore for investigative journalism. Simply put, investors don't want those stories exposed. They like their secrets kept ... as secrets.

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: