Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow Don't Touch My "Junk"

Don't Touch My "Junk"

page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  next
John Briley
Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Recently in the news the whole "body scan" / "pat down" at our airports has resurfaced with a fervor.

Quote:
“The passenger, John Tyner, said he told a federal Transportation Security Administration worker, "If you touch my junk, I'm gonna have you arrested."

WOULD BE FLIER’S REFUSAL TO FULL BODY SCAN GOES VIRAL
San Jose Mercury News
By: Joan Lowy & Adam Goldman
Associated Press
November 16, 2010
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_16622518?nclick_check=1

Quote:
Across the country, passengers simmered over being forced to choose scans by full-body image detectors or probing pat-downs. Top federal security officials said that the procedures were safe and necessary sacrifices to ward off terror attacks.

"It's all about security," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said. "It's all about everybody recognizing their role."

Here is a follow up editorial in the San Jose Mercury dated Wednesday, November 17, 2010

http://www.mercurynews.com/editorials/ci_16631142

By way of a comparison, why is EL Al Israel Airlines Ltd., so successful in what they are doing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Al_Cargo#Cargo

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/01/15/60II/main324476.shtml

Out of curiosity, has anyone experienced traveling with EL AL airlines? How are their security methods different than our security methods here in the U.S. or Canada?

So what are your thoughts? Is it all about security? Or is there something else going on here?
Back to top profile :: pm
SharynS
Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:40 am

Quote:
And Shlomo Dror says that, while there are sky marshals on every flight, they are the last line of defense. If they have to spring into action, it means the security system has failed. Where does the system begin?
There's much to learn from that statement. I would say that much of North American airport security spends a majority of it's resources chasing the tail.

On a return trip in Sept I passed thru 5 different airports for a total of 9 security checks. I'll be damned if I can recall which American airport it was that I was subjected to a full body scan. The kicker is, I had no idea until much later.

I did think it unusual to have to turn sideways and raise my arms but I just thought it must be a new fangled detector of sorts. Laugh if you will but I was also so distracted (and incensed) by some of the security people who clearly were taking liberties with their power, that my own privacy being invaded went right over my head. Other than my pride it really didn't hurt and that was well after the fact.

I think the most offensive was going through American customs at Vancouver International and watching the racial profiling first hand. Random electronic finger printing. Random in that only non-white people were being subjected.

Anyone know where they find all those hard-assed stone-faced people to fill the positions?

It is a rock and a hard place. You can submit and get to your destination or gamble on pissing off the wrong security person and end up somewhere else.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:40 pm

People are tired of being pushed around by officialdom. That said, we have to keep guys with explosives off of planes and there's no way of doing that that will not seem intrusive or inconvenient to some. I don't really care about the scanners. As long as they're not posting copies of my butt on the internet - scan away.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Sorry you had to go through so much Sharyn! The shadows of the Patriot Act are everywhere. By labeling it *Security*, it is somehow cleansed of it's offensive invasiveness and we are required by law to find it all acceptable. Rolling Eyes

I believe it was 2003 when I last took to the skies. If not for being work related I wouldn't have used that mode of transportation at that time. Excluding emergencies, I avoid this high and pressurized form of transportation. I'm thinking the more difficult the flight option becomes, the more privacy and freedom we lose in the security process, and the more people will seek out alternative transportation. I honestly do not see how the airlines are holding on in the current economical market. Without more and more government subsidizing, I don't see any but the very largest and government subsidized airlines being competitive in the future. That's just the view from my desk in Sardis at least. Wink

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:58 pm

Quote:
So what are your thoughts? Is it all about security? Or is there something else going on here?

Here is something that I feel is very interesting as it pertains to this subject matter.

First... let us begin with our former Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chertoff

Now let us follow up with this article.......

Why Is Michael Chertoff So Excited About Full – Body Scanners
http://gawker.com/5437499/why-is-michael-chertoff-so-excited-about-full+body-scanners

How about this You Tube Clip.....
Chertoff & Company- The Cover Up (Body Scanners)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5FBCHKu2KU&feature=related

So..... is there something else going on here or is this just a coincidence?????

You decide......
atuuschaaw
Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:14 pm

No coincidence I'm thinking. The biggest players in the empire are former representatives of the people. The professional politicians who have no problem being funded by the tax payers as they use their position within representative government as a stepping stone toward more wealth. Politics for profit just does not seem to cut the mustard anymore. Not that it ever has!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:22 pm

SharynS wrote:

Anyone know where they find all those hard-assed stone-faced people to fill the positions?

Palin's "Tea-Bagger" followers of coarse! They love to profile. Wink

Bill Sable
Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:36 pm

A couple of things.

First, I would have loved to have some minimum wage security personnel squeeze my "junk" i.e. the ileostomy bag I used to wear...think "Super Squirter" but nasty.

Second, in this town we pay people to do that sort of thing...check the "relationship" pages on craigslist.

Third and last, what sort of effing San Diego geek says "don't squeeze my junk"?? Is this what passes for white-boy street slang in San Diego? The dufus needs to spend some time in SF, NY, etc. "My junk"...Seriously?? How about: "You break it, you bought it."

With all of that, bottom line is this nonsense is, it appears, simply ineffective...the "fast food" of airport security. Looks impressive, costs alot, accomplishes nada nutritionally speaking.
John Briley
Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Quote:
As long as they're not posting copies of my butt on the internet - scan away.

I couldn't agree more!! Unfortunately, I have absolutely no confidence that our privacy will be protected.

By way of an example, here is an article from The Huffington Post dated November 16, 2010 that demonstrates the "possibility" that exists.

Quote:
Earlier this year, the U.S. Marshals Service admitted that--despite promises from federal agencies that such images could and would not be stored--some 35,000 images from a scanner at a security checkpoint at a Florida courthouse had been saved.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/16/100-body-scans-from-secur_n_784317.html
John Briley
Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Here is an article that identifies which airports have the Body Scanning Technology.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/11/18/airports.with.body.scanners/index.html?npt=NP1
Laboryes
Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Quote:
promises from federal agencies

Laboryes
Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:13 pm

Not to make light of this serious subject, but we many have a solution....

http://flyingpasties.com/index.html

John Briley
Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:46 am

Bill Sable wrote:
Quote:
First, I would have loved to have some minimum wage security personnel squeeze my "junk" i.e. the ileostomy bag I used to wear...think "Super Squirter" but nasty.

Brother Bill, looks like a TSA agent has already accomplished that.

Read on.

Quote:
A Michigan man, who endured an "extremely embarrassing" pat-down earlier this month, disagreed.

"These new pat-downs have to be stopped until [TSA agents] are trained and are comfortable doing what they need to do," Thomas Sawyer told CNN's "American Morning."

Sawyer, a bladder cancer survivor who has worn a urostomy bag since a surgery three years ago, said a TSA agent at Detroit Metropolitan Airport caused the seal of the bag to open partially during a pat-down, spilling urine on his clothes.

Sawyer said he tried to caution the agent against pressing too hard on his abdomen because of the bag. The agent didn't understand and continued with the search, Sawyer said, and "pulled the seal kind of half-off" the bag.

"These people need to be trained on medical conditions ... and emotional conditions," Sawyer said Monday on CNN's "American Morning." He said the agent "didn't apologize, he didn't do anything."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/11/22/travel.tsa.pat.downs/index.html

Here is another TSA story....

TSA Makes Cancer Victim Remove Prosthetic Breast..

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/19/national/main7070415.shtml
The Third Element
Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:59 am

Someone sent me the airport security solution today.

It's a very stout examination booth. It has one design, blow up the explosives anyone may be carrying.

Simply hose the terrorist out after he fails the test... easy!

the doc
Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:25 pm

From my point of view, if you don't like it don't fly.
You can take the train or a bus or drive, but stop all the crying enough. It seems that in order to make the skys safe to fly, there are more people coming out of the woodwork saying no. These people should then be told screw off. Just maybe if enough of them got told to go away the rest could get on with there lives. I live in Canada and we don't have half the problems that those do in the States. Maybe just maybe if you peope gave it a little more thought about the whole picture instead of just yourselves the rest of the world could move on. Very Happy
Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow Don't Touch My "Junk"
Page 1 of 11
page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  next
Jump to: