Home arrow Forums arrow Feedback & Support arrow Google ads from Union Busters

Google ads from Union Busters

paco
Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:39 pm

I notice that Projections Inc has a google ad advertising their Union Busting Videos on the "News" page of this forum. Is this an employer sponsored site? I'm sure most employers would love to be Union free at the expense of their workers. I don't see the relevance of a video for employers on how to stay Union free for a site advocating Union democracy.

Not to nit pick but I tried to post this on the "News" forum only to be advised that only moderators can post new topics. Not very democratic either. The media seems to control the news here as well as on TV and print.

Paco
Back to top profile :: pm
wm pasz
Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:12 pm

The google ads are generated automatically based on the content of the site. Sites about "unions" draw all kinds of stuff. I'll see if there's anything that can be done to screen them out - so don't get your shorts in a twist.

Regarding the admin only posting privileges for items in the "news" forum - this section of the forum is for discussion of news items that are posted on the front page. Only admins can post on the front page (for reasons I'm sure you can understand) and create a discussion thread in the "news" section of the forum at the same time as they create a front page post.

If there's something you'd like to post, there are plenty of other forum sections for you to choose from. If you have an idea for a front page article or news item, by all means send it in. Again, don't be so thin-skinned. If you're an activist, there are a lot more important things to be concerned about than google ads and who can who can start a news post.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:13 pm

Here's uncharted's Article Submissions page, can't wait to hear from you paco.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:30 pm

You admin types are all undemocratic... it's a byproduct of the company you keep. <snicker>

You're all about censorship <snork>... you're no better than "the MAN! <giggle>

... capitalist pigs!!

wm pasz
Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:28 am

Oh yeah, ruminating for too long on the evils of capitalism will turn you into a capitalist every time. It's a proven fact. I heard about it on Fox News. Ann Coulter is writing a book about it - Google Ads: The Reefer Madness of Our Times.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:57 pm

My point was and remains that the integrity of any publication, be it paper or electronic media, can be affected by the advertisers it does business with. I understand that there is an economic relationship with google ads that defers some of the costs of running a website. However if you cant filter out offensive or inappropriate advertisers it isn't worth compromising the integrity of the project for small financial consideration. I participate in several on line forums on a variety of subjects and some have gone to taking advertising to help with the costs. Those whom deal with quality advertisers are perhaps an acceptable evil even though in my opinion it detracts from the independent and unbiased nature of a site uncontaminated by undue economic influence.

Some forums have decided to forgo chasing advertising dollars and to charge a nominal fee for membership. If the material, discussions etc are worthwhile people wont mind a small fee for it to continue.

Paco
loonietunes
Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:08 pm

wm pasz wrote:
The google ads are generated automatically based on the content of the site. Sites about "unions" draw all kinds of stuff.

I agree with you WP. It's really simple

And if I may add. Ultimately, if someone is a lover of free speech why should we really care about what some silly old add is selling anyway?

Really, are we now going to make certain that only certain adds can be shown.

What's next, only certain TV shows can be shown, or why not shut down all offensive radio shows.

Or better yet let's regulate the internet itself.

This PC crap is so over the top that folks peddling it are imploding under the mega weight of this pure garbage.

Free Speech is Free Speech period.

If an add or TV show, or u tube video etc isn't to your liking don't buy what it's selling or don't watch it.

It is really that simple.

Most folks that contribute to this web site have their own solid opinions on Union Busters and no Add Popping on and off is going to change their mind one way or another So what's the big deal anyway?

Geez Uz, It must take real insecurity to be afraid of a silly old Union Busting add popping in and out on this or any other web site.

There are much bigger things to worry about then what adds pop in and out of our screens...
but then again, that is only my opinion.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:08 pm

I've asked uncharted's webguru to clear up uncharted's ad practice. What I do know is that because ads are transient in nature and not always visible that we rely somewhat on visitors pointing us to ads which violate certain obvious criteria.

The first question that popped into my head was; if you're aware of how 'net' advertising works in conjunction with websites etc., then why would anyone click on an offensive one? Over to you paco.

On a personal note - my own personal view - they're everywhere. Given the nature of the "internets", it would be nuts/unreasonable to try to filter and cater according to visitor taste. Especially when it's something people can do for themselves.

That aside I've made it my own policy "to live and let live". If I find an ad offensive then I don't go there. In real time, I actually don't like ads period. I would be hard pressed to remember the last time I did click into one.

I think that's the beauty of the "internets". At long last *we* control what we see/read/hear or don't see/read/hear. Unlike teevee and other up until now standard media type where people are pretty much held captive to whatever. The added plus might be that ad sponsors will be forced by response or non-response to their ads to smarten the hell up.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:10 pm
Site Admin
Inappropriate ads can be, and have been, filtered. In order to do so, however, we need the ads' URL.

In Firefox, the URL can be had by right-clicking on the ad and selecting "copy link location."

In IE, I believe you'll have to right-click on the ad and select "properties."

The portion of the link we'll need comes after the adurl= text; should be a simple http address.

Post that URL, preferably in the Feedback forum, and we'll investigate and, should we deem it worth filtering, it'll be filtered. A link to the page where the ad appeared would be helpful as well.

Also it should be noted that we have no input into what ads are displayed. They're selected contextually by google. Our only option is to filter after the fact which, to do so, we have to rely upon our visitors to bring the inappropriate ads to our attention.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:20 pm

Thanks. I appreciate your looking into it.

Paco
Home arrow Forums arrow Feedback & Support arrow Google ads from Union Busters
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: