Home arrow Forums arrow The Lounge arrow Vancouver Law Day Forum

Vancouver Law Day Forum

OCCUPY LRB
Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:38 am

Vancouver Law Day Forum -
The Canadian Bar Association has announced the 2008 Vancouver Law Day open house will be held on April 19, 2008 from 9:30 am to 2:30 pm at the Vancouver Public Library at 350 West Georgia Street.

As part of Law Week, Law Day events will include a public forum, a mock trial, displays and demonstrations from legal organizations, and law classes that are hosted by the People’s Law School.

The highly anticipated public forum will be held from 12:30 to 2:00 pm and will be hosted by Ian Hanomansing of CBC. The forum will present the public with an opportunity to ask questions of a panel of senior justice representatives. The panel will consist of:

* The Honourable Chief Justice Brenner, Supreme Court of British Columbia;

* The Honourable Chief Judge Stansfield, Provincial Court of British Columbia;

* Deputy Chief Bob Rich, Vancouver Police Department;

* Deputy Commissioner Gary Bass, RCMP;

* Terry Schultes, QC, Regional Crown Counsel; and

* Mark Benton, QC, Executive Director, Legal Services Society.

Now, I think this could be a tremendous opportunity to raise public awareness of the severe limitations of the BC Labour Code with respect to workplace injustice and to spotlight the pernicious role played by the Labour Relations Board. And, given the CBC's Ian Hanomansing's involvement, it may be presumed that the forum will be taped for later airing on CBC television.

This public forum is still a full month away which leaves plenty of time to inundate forum host, Ian Hanomansing with some personal horror stories from the annals of the LRB. Unfortunately, as of this writing I have been unable to find an email address for Mr. Hanomansing.

However, Mr. Hanomansing's newsroom colleague, reporter Kathy Tomlinson can be easily contacted. Ms. Tomlinson currently reports on the 6:00 pm newscast in a segment entitled, Go Public and can be reached at this web page. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and use the handy Submit Your Story box.

I recommend you make mention of the Canadian Bar Association's upcoming event and specifically request your info be passed on to Ian Hanomansing. Perhaps someone may find an email address for direct contact with Mr. H. but this route should be sufficient to reach him.

What about some other "Law Day/Week" ideas?? -perhaps some signs, banners, etc. Hell, why not a full blown protest?!?

What say ye, people? Ready to Spring into action?? Well then, let's get organized!!

SharynS
Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:10 pm

Sounds fun LB and sounds like a job for supergbuddy. Probably a safe bet that a protest outside the library halls it'll have to be. The place will be crawling with law students, articlers (sic) and the lot. I'm wondering how much space is reserved for the real public.

The schedule is jammed packed with activities, it would have to be tightly scripted and plotted to squeeze all that into a few short hrs. Can we assume that the numerous breaks in a 5 hr bc court day will be demonstrated as well?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:02 am

siggy wrote:
Quote:
Sounds fun LB and sounds like a job for supergbuddy. Probably a safe bet that a protest outside the library halls it'll have to be. The place will be crawling with law students, articlers (sic) and the lot. I'm wondering how much space is reserved for the real public.

In fact it was the gbuddmeister who tipped me off to the event -I know he wants to be there.

My understanding is the public forum will take place in the atrium at the very center of the library (located at streetlevel). This space is easily accessible and fully open to the public -it's literally a few steps from Georgia and Robson Streets and has numerous shops and coffee bars etc -it's very conducive for a demonstration with tremendous visibility from the library's numerous floors directly above; it's a very happening communal space, from what I've seen.

Quote:
The schedule is jammed packed with activities, it would have to be tightly scripted and plotted to squeeze all that into a few short hrs.

True, but the actual public forum portion is scheduled for 12:30 - 2:00 pm. This is when a demonstration would probably be the most effective. Again, given Ian Hanomansing's involvement, I'm assuming the event is to be taped for television by the CBC. The only thing really needed to make it fly are some committed individuals determined to make their collective voice heard.

So who's in??

Home arrow Forums arrow The Lounge arrow Vancouver Law Day Forum
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: