Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow UFCW Eligibility - What does it mean?

UFCW Eligibility - What does it mean?

page: 1, 2  next
John Briley
Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:02 pm

So what's happening down at UFCW Local 135 in San Diego California?

I was recently provided with the following newspaper article regarding a change within the Leadership at UFCW Local 135's Secretary - Treasurer's position.

Quote:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/dec/22/richard-barrera-leaving-labor-council-united-food/

Labor leader takes new job

Barrera resigning from Labor Council to work for United Food and Commercial Workers

By Joshua Stewart | 4:26 p.m. Dec. 22, 2015 | Updated, 4:26 p.m.

Excerpt:

SAN DIEGO — Richard Barrera, the secretary-treasurer of the San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council, is resigning to become the executive assistant and secretary-treasurer of the United Food and Commercial Workers, Local 135.

Barrera said the new job allows him to return to his roots as a labor organizer, and he hopes to bring additional members in new fields into UFCW’s fold, particularly in low-skill jobs with high-turnover that labor movement has historically considered among the toughest to organize. He said he hopes to help reverse historical declines in union membership.

“I think where we’ve seen the reverse of the labor movement in the past 20 years has been in Los Angeles, organizing largely immigrant and largely women workers. That has been in the retail industry, the janitors and hotel workers,” he said.

Barrera starts his new job on Feb. 1.

Including the following press release.

Quote:

http://www.unionyes.org/barreraresignation/

Secretary-Treasurer Richard Barrera Announces Return to Organizing; Resignation from Labor Council

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SAN DIEGO – December 22, 2015 – Today, San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council, AFL-CIO Secretary-Treasurer Richard Barrera released the following statement announcing his resignation to the Council’s Executive Board:

“It is with mixed emotions that I announce my intention to resign from my role as Secretary-Treasurer of the Labor Council. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I have had to work alongside each and every one of you to create a better future for the region’s working families.

Effective February 1, 2016, I will join the team at the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW), Local 135 as successor to Rosalyn Hackworth, Executive Assistant and Secretary-Treasurer. In this role, I will have an opportunity to return to my organizing roots and help chart a path for the future of our labor movement. I see the potential for San Diego’s workers to build tremendous strength and power in the next decade by organizing powerhouse locals the way workers in Los Angeles, Chicago and New York have.”

“Richard has succeeded in building a strong and united Labor Council to advance a pro-worker agenda at the bargaining table and the ballot box. We are grateful for the thoughtful and skilled leadership he brought to the Council and look forward to him bringing his passion and talent for organizing to UFCW 135,” said Labor Council President Mickey Kasparian, adding “The labor movement isn’t about one person – it’s about working people standing together for a common purpose. When we raise the minimum wage and hold our progressive majority on the San Diego City Council next June, it will be because nurses, teachers, electricians, grocery clerks, postal workers, bus drivers, homecare providers and other working people decided to change the rules.”

Article VIII of the Labor Council’s bylaws outline the process for filling the Secretary-Treasurer role, which would be voted on in the regularly scheduled April 2016 election of Executive Board Officers. In his statement, Barrera advised the appointment of an interim Secretary-Treasurer, namely Labor Council Chief of Staff and Political/Legislative Director Dale Kelly Bankhead.

###

The San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council, AFL-CIO represents more than 200,000 union workers in the region and advocates for an economy with more jobs, better jobs and better lives for all workers.

www.unionyes.org

MEDIA INQUIRIES: Samantha Peterson | speterson@unionyes.org | (619) 309 – 8169

Quote:
Effective February 1, 2016, I will join the team at the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW), Local 135 as successor to Rosalyn Hackworth, Executive Assistant and Secretary-Treasurer.

Does anyone have any information as to the rest-of-the-story pertaining to why Rosalyn Hackworth is leaving UFCW Local 135? After reading her most recent Local 135 website posting, nothing was mentioned about her leaving UFCW Local 135.

Quote:

http://ufcw135.com/secretary-treasurers-report/

ROSALYN HACKWORTH
Secretary-Treasurer Report
November 2015

UFCW Local 135 has a new Website! Check it out!

If you haven’t been to the UFCW Local 135 website lately, you are in for a surprise. We have a newly redesigned website that provides instant access to important information, and expanded capabilities for increased connection to your union. It has been designed with our members’ current and future needs in mind.

Check it out by going to ufcw135.org.

We want to make sure you have up-to-date information as soon as we get it, and now we have that capability. We have streamlined menus with simple navigation and access to the information you need, any time of day or night. You now have easy access to information about continuing education, events (such as our annual golf tournament), meetings, etc.

Four things we hope you’ll love about the new UFCW Local 135 website:

Home page – You will find UFCW Local 135 President Mickey Kasparian’s President’s Message from The Worker magazine.

You will also find my Secretary-Treasurer’s report there.

Plus you can have access to our Twitter and Facebook feeds – even if you’re not on social media, and you can also see Breaking News on the Home page.

Search – We now have a powerful, yet simple, search feature, allowing you to find information on our site about a specific subject or keyword. So, you can enter a word, or words, such as "grievance" or "contract enforcement" and that page will come up.

Events – just click and you will see everything we have scheduled in a calendar format. The monthly view, has pop-outs with easy to read dates, locations and other details.

Pictures – lots of pictures of our members picketing, at meetings, at press conferences or whatever you're doing.

Start exploring:

Learn about our current workshops, continuing education offerings, meetings and presenters, and view the calendar of upcoming events.

Connect with labor activism opportunities, networking, and more.

Read about what’s going on with UFCW Local 135 in collaboration with other unions and the San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council.

And last, but not least, we’d appreciate hearing how we can improve the website, so feel free to contact UFCW Local 135 Communications Director Lori Kern at lkern@ufcw135.com with any comments, suggestions or concerns.

We will continually be expanding and updating our online content to bring you relevant information, so we encourage you to bookmark it, and check back often.
With better communication, we’ll continue to strengthen our labor community.

I must say that it is very strange to say the least, that with all of the announcements about Richard Barrera taking over as UFCW Local 135's Secretary Treasurer effective February 1, 2016, that UFCW Local 135 President Mickey Kasparian didn't mention / address Rosalyn Hackworth leaving Local 135 in any way?

What's up with that?

http://ufcw135.com/presidents-message/

Furthermore, someone needs to explain to me HOW Richard Barrera, as the "current" secretary-treasurer of the San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council, is eligible to become Secretary - Treasurer at UFCW Local 135 under the terms of the UFCW I.U. Constitution?

Specifically,.....

Quote:

http://www.ufcw.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Constitution-Complete-DRAFT.pdf

ARTICLE 4

Membership Classifications (pages 1, 2 & 3)

Excerpt:

(B) 1. An individual is eligible to be an active member if he or she is: employed within a collective bargaining unit represented by the International Union or any of its chartered bodies; an employee or salaried officer of the International Union or any of its chartered bodies or of any organization approved by the International Executive Board with which the International Union or any of its chartered bodies has affiliated; a member of the International Union through a Local Union or a division of a Local Union which was a professional or other association that has been chartered by or merged with the International Union or any of its chartered bodies; or working as a barber, cosmetologist, or independent insurance agent; except that, at the request of the Executive Board of a Local Union, the International President may extend the active membership of any member in that Local Union during a period of unemployment, if the International President determines that exceptional circumstances warrant such extension, subject to an appeal to the International Executive Committee.

Receipt by the Local Union of the current dues and the required initiation or reinstatement fee, or any installment established by the Local Union for payment of such fee, is required for an eligible individual to become an active member. Continued payment of dues, and, if applicable, any remaining installments of the required initiation or reinstatement fee, is required to maintain active membership.

ARTICLE 35

Local Union Elections (pages 26, 27 and 2Cool

Excerpt:

(A) An active member in the Local Union, who has been an active member in the Local Union, or who had been a member of another organization merged with the Local Union, for a continuous aggregate of at least 12 months immediately preceding the month in which nominations are held, or an active member in the Local Union who has been an active member in the International Union continuously for at least 24 months immediately preceding the month in which nominations are held, shall be eligible to hold any Local Union office, provided that said member maintains continuous active membership in the Local Union.

@ UFCW I.U. President Marc Perrone, how about explaining in detail how UFCW "eligibility" really works!

Last edited by John Briley on Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top profile :: pm
John Briley
Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:44 pm

Quote:

https://twitter.com/marc_perrone

Marc Perrone ‏@Marc_Perrone Dec 24
#SanDiego Labor Leader Richard Barrera to join @UFCW135.

Welcome to the Fight!

@UFCW
#1u

http://bit.ly/1U5bMn0
Mickey Kasparian

@ UFCW I.U. President Marc Perrone, seriously,..... you are going to need to explain in a "lot more detail" how UFCW "eligibility" really works!

Your above tweet doesn't cut it!

John Briley
Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:58 pm

Quote:

DOL LM2 Website Link:
https://olms.dol-esa.gov/query/getOrgQry.do

UFCW Local 135 / LM2 File Number:
517-319

UFCW I.U. / LM2 File Number:
000-056

Note: UFCW Local 135 President Mickey Kasparian is also a UFCW I.U. V.P.

John Briley
Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:28 pm

Quote:

Some more history re: Richard Barrera tenure as Secretary - Treasurer of the San Diego - Imperial Counties Labor Council.

http://laprensa-sandiego.org/breaking-news/richard-barrera-elected-secretary-treasurer-and-ceo-of-the-san-diego-imperial-counties-labor-council-afl-cio/

Richard Barrera elected Secretary-Treasurer and CEO of the San Diego-Imperial Counties Labor Council, AFL-CIO

May 23, 2013 / Breaking News

Barrera succeeds Lorena Gonzalez after her election to the 80th Assembly District

Lorena Gonzalez resigned her position as Secretary-Treasurer and CEO of the San Diego-Imperial Counties Labor Council, AFL-CIO on Wednesday, May 22, 2013, one day after being elected to represent California’s 80th Assembly District.

“I’ve worked side by side with Lorena for years, and I have always been proud to have her at the head of this Labor Council and as the best advocate that working families in San Diego could have asked for,” said Mickey Kasparian, President of the San Diego-Imperial Counties Labor Council and UFCW Local 135. “I couldn’t be happier that, along with Myrtle Cole, this Labor Council is able to mark the end of Lorena’s tenure by electing two of our own to champion labor and workers’ rights as they represent San Diego.”

After announcing her resignation on Wednesday, May 22, 2013, Gonzalez asked for support of her recommendation of Richard Barrera to succeed her as Secretary-Treasurer and CEO of the San Diego-Imperial Counties Labor Council. Later Wednesday evening, Richard Barrera was unanimously recommended for the position by the Labor Council Executive Board and elected the next Secretary-Treasurer and CEO by Labor Council delegates at their monthly meeting.

“Lorena’s leadership of this Labor Council is the stuff of legend, and I’m honored to continue the work that she’s led for so many years,” said Barrera after his election by Labor Council delegates. “Working families have built tremendous power for themselves in San Diego, and I can’t wait to keep pushing to grow our middle class, protect workers on the job, and stay on the path to achieve economic justice for every San Diegan.”

“I’ve worked with Richard for years and seen him in action on behalf of working people here in San Diego, and I know his drive and commitment will lead the Labor Council to continued success,” Kasparian continued after Barrera’s election. “I’m excited for Richard’s vision as we all look to build an even stronger movement for working families in San Diego.”

Barrera will complete the four year term to which Gonzalez was elected on March 28, 2012, expiring in 2016.

There is no word as to his position as an elected representative to San Diego Unified School Board.

Be Sociable, Share!

John Briley
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:15 pm

Where is Richard Barrera?

Quote:

Excerpt:

Secretary-Treasurer Richard Barrera Announces Return to Organizing; Resignation from Labor Council

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SAN DIEGO – December 22, 2015 – Today, San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council, AFL-CIO Secretary-Treasurer Richard Barrera released the following statement announcing his resignation to the Council’s Executive Board:

“It is with mixed emotions that I announce my intention to resign from my role as Secretary-Treasurer of the Labor Council. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I have had to work alongside each and every one of you to create a better future for the region’s working families.

Effective February 1, 2016, I will join the team at the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW), Local 135 as successor to Rosalyn Hackworth, Executive Assistant and Secretary-Treasurer. In this role, I will have an opportunity to return to my organizing roots and help chart a path for the future of our labor movement. I see the potential for San Diego’s workers to build tremendous strength and power in the next decade by organizing powerhouse locals the way workers in Los Angeles, Chicago and New York have.”

Specifically,....

Quote:

Effective February 1, 2016, I will join the team at the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW), Local 135 as successor to Rosalyn Hackworth, Executive Assistant and Secretary-Treasurer.

Quote:

ROSALYN HACKWORTH

Secretary-Treasurer

Secretary/Treasurer’s Report

March 2016

How to Handle Pay Discrepancies

At the beginning of every year, we get numerous calls from members asking for their W-2s. We also get a lot of calls asking for pay stubs. We don’t have them.

Your employer has those items. They are the ones who pay you.

We are not your employer. We are your union. It’s our responsibility to get the best contract we can for you and help you when your rights under that contract have been violated. It is your responsibility to make sure your check is correct and to take care of your own pay discrepancies. Scrutinize every paycheck stub carefully to make sure everything is correct.

Here’s how:

Paychecks from different companies look different, but all have the same things, such as:

• Gross pay – The money you made based on the hours you’ve worked and your annual salary.
• Net pay – The amount, after all taxes and deductions. This is your take home pay.
• Hours worked: If you are an hourly employee, this will be the exact number of hours you’ve worked.
• Total Deductions – Includes all money deducted from your gross pay, for insurance, Social Security, Medicare, federal and state taxes – to name a few. Also the part of your benefits you pay for is deducted as well, including pension, medical, dental, vision, insurance, etc.

Look at the hours you worked (if you’re hourly), your rate of pay, and so on. It is important to understand all of your deductions and know how often they’re taken out. Once a month or twice a month is not uncommon. This way you can be sure your company is always taking out the right amount at the right time.

Depending on your benefits, the list of deductions can be hard to understand. However, it’s important to check to see which deductions are paid by you, and which are paid for by the company. Your company’s paid deductions actually help you offset the cost of your benefits. This is a good thing and part of your contract.

Once you have determined which benefits you are paying for, verify that the benefits listed are the ones you selected for your family. Be aware of the amount that you are responsible to pay for each particular benefit and confirm that this number matches what was taken out of your pay.

One more thing to think about. If you have requested any changes, say you’ve had a baby and changed your benefits, added a new direct deposit account, or moved to a new address, make sure the change has been reflected on your paycheck.

When you make changes, sometimes things fall through the cracks and this is typically when you will find errors on your paycheck.

So, what should you do when your paycheck is wrong? Everybody makes mistakes and the people in payroll make mistakes too.

If you find an error, contact your store manager, your book keeper, or payroll department. Don’t think they will discover their mistake and fix it on their own. They won’t.

If your company outsources payroll, benefits, and human resources administration, contact the outsourcing company directly – they have experts who can help you there.

Most likely it was just a mistake and it’s not a reason to file a grievance. If, however, it is not corrected, give us a call.

You work hard for your paycheck. So take a few minutes to make sure it’s accurate.

So today is Monday, March 28, 2016 and for whatever reason I can not locate Richard Barrera any where at
UFCW Local 135!
http://ufcw135.com

When I looked here,....

UFCW Local 135 Union Representatives:
http://ufcw135.com/contract-enforcementrepresentatives/

Richard Barrera was no where to be found?

When I looked here,......

UFCW Local 135 Executive Board / Officers:
http://ufcw135.com/executive-board/

When I looked here, .......

Staff:
http://ufcw135.com/staff/

In fact, the last time I heard / read anything about Richard Barrera was a junket he took to Vietnam with Team Icaza, a.k.a. Team Gilligan!
http://forums.uncharted.ca/viewtopic.php?p=28432&highlight=#28432

@ UFCW Local 135 President / I.U. V.P. Mickey Kasparian, where is Richard Barrera? Did we miss something?
John Briley
Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:19 pm

@ UFCW Local 135 President / I.U. V.P. Mickey Kasparian, where is Richard Barrera?

Again I ask,.....Did we miss something? ..........

Today is Friday, April 22, 2016,.....

Based on the following April 2016 website posting from UFCW Local 135 Secretary-Treasurer, Rosalyn Hackworth,......

Quote:

Secretary Treasurer’s Report

UFCW Makes a Historic Change

Rosalyn Hackworth

Secretary-Treasurer

The United Food and Commercial Workers Union is an institution that has been around for literally decades. We have had a number of International Presidents and Secretary-Treasurers. Our current President Marc Perrone made a promise just a short time ago. He vowed to change the make-up, or shall I say “the face,” of the Board.

President Perrone believes that our Board and the leaders of our Union should be representative of those we represent, so he set out to identify individuals in the organization that not only possessed certain skill sets, but didn’t necessary resemble the status quo.

True to his word, President Perrone sought out a few talented individuals right under his nose and in doing so he changed the dynamics of the organization – making history by doing so. Our newest Secretary-Treasurer (2nd in charge) for the UFCW International Union is Esther Lopez.

Not only is Esther female, Esther is Latina. Prior to Esther’s historical appointment to Secretary-Treasurer, she was a Director in the Civil Rights Department for the UFCW International Union. Esther has been involved in a number of campaigns directed to addressing Civil Rights matters that involve our Union and our Union Members.

Esther is a leading champion of hard-working men and women, and has worked tirelessly for decades on behalf of immigrants and all families seeking a better life. She has helped lead the UFCW’s ground-breaking outreach effort to the Latino and immigrant communities, and is recognized as a national leader in the areas of immigration reform, as well as civil, human, and labor rights.

Throughout her career, Esther has been a champion of the rights of all workers – regardless of where they come from or where they were born. To help provide hope to immigrant workers, Esther launched a ground breaking program to ensure eligible UFCW members were first in line to apply for citizenship.

Prior to that, she spearheaded the Union Citizenship Action Network, also known as UCAN, to help UFCW members become naturalized and get on the path to citizenship. Esther was the lead staff person on the UFCW Commission on ICE Enforcement that highlighted civil rights abuses in the 2006 Swift raids. All along, Esther has never lost focus on the broader goal of giving aspiring Americans the chance to become citizens and ensuring all workers and their families are protected from exploitation.

Esther began with the UFCW in November 2006 when she was hired as Director of the Civil Rights and Community Action Department. In that role, she has helped put the UFCW on the front lines of the most crucial civil rights battles of our time—fighting back against voter suppression, working to end exploitation of refugees from countries like Burma, Sudan and Somalia, creating more opportunities for women, and expanding LGBT equality.

Prior to her career at the UFCW, Esther played an active role in improving labor conditions within the state of Illinois, serving as Deputy Chief of Staff for Labor, as well as in the governor’s cabinet as Director of the Illinois Department of Labor.

Under President Perrone’s watch there have been a number of promotions for people of color and women to Regional Directors for the eight Regions throughout the United States. President Perrone has always taken an interest in the inner workings of the International and local unions and has not only walked the walk, he talked the talk.

I would like to commend President Perrone for ensuring that the UFCW takes into account that our Union Members don’t come in “one size fits all” and that we must adapt to the times in which we live. Bravo President Perrone, bravo!

It appears that Mr. Barrera hasn't assumed the Secretary-Treasurer position at UFCW Local 135 yet?

@ UFCW Local 135 President Kasparian, .......and you say what?
John Briley
Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:07 pm

@ UFCW I.U. President Marc Perrone, seriously,..... you are going to need to explain in a "lot more detail" how UFCW "eligibility" really works!

Speaking of "eligibility",..... here's an interesting one re: former UFCW Local 588 / 8 President and UFCW I.U. V.P. Jack L. Loveall's gift-that-keeps-on-giving to himself,......off the backs from the hard working / dues paying members at UFCW Local 8!!

First, let's start off by providing LM2 information on Jack L. Loveall (Dad) at Local 588 / 8, including providing the UFCW I.U.'s LM2 information for Loveall's I.U. V.P. tenure.

Quote:

DOL LM2 Website:

Local 588 / Local 8
LM2 File No. = 043-536

UFCW I.U.
LM2 File No. = 000-056

Secondly, let's take a look at a "excerpt" from UFCW Local 8's 2015 LM2 Report.

Quote:

SCHEDULE 15 - REPRESENTATIONAL ACTIVITIES - FILE NUMBER: 043-536

Name and Address
(A)
ADVANCED LABOR LEADERSHIP
9580 Oak Ave Pkwy Ste 7180
Folsom
CA

Type or Classification
(B)
Outside Consultant

Purpose
(C) Date
(D) Amount
(E)
Total Itemized Transactions with this Payee/Payer
Total Non-Itemized Transactions with this Payee/Payer $78,000
Total of All Transactions with this Payee/Payer for This Schedule $78,000
N

Third, now let's take a look at WHO is behind Advanced Labor Leadership?

Quote:

http://www.manta.com/c/mtc6f19/advanced-labor-leadership-institute-inc

Advanced Labor Leadership Institute Inc
9954 Granite Crest Court
Granite Bay, CA 95746 - View Map
Phone: (916) 791-0555
Web: www.laborinstitute.net

Own This Business?
Ads

Advanced Labor Leadership Institute Inc
A privately held company in Granite Bay, CA. Is this your business? Claim This Profile

More Details for Advanced Labor Leadership Institute Inc

Categorized under Unclassified. Our records show it was established in 2008 and incorporated in California.

Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of 180000 and employs a staff of approximately 2.

Company Contacts
Is this your business? Claim This Profile

Jack L Loveall
Principal

Quote:

http://www.laborinstitute.net

Jack L Loveall
Advanced Labor Leadership Institute
4120 Douglas Blvd #306-346
Granite Bay
CA
US
916 761 0585
916 786 0957
enabling labor leaders to better serve

John Briley
Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Quote:

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/education/man-shaped-workers-revolution-san-diego-unified/

The Man Who Shaped the Workers’ Revolution at San Diego Unified

To Richard Barrera, organized labor and the school district do not have different agendas. He believes the labor movement is a comprehensive solution to the problems that face the district – and society. He’s had major impact across San Diego implementing that vision.

By Mario Koran and Ashly McGlone | April 18, 2016

Excerpt:

Regardless, the question of competing allegiances is now less timely. In December, Barrera – whose term on the Labor Council wasn’t up until April – resigned abruptly and moved over to the local United Food and Commercial Workers, where he will take over as secretary-treasurer.

Barrera said he changed jobs simply because the position was a better fit for him. It’s a smaller and lower-profile role than he previously held. But Barrera said he prefers to organize workers, which he’ll be doing more of for UFCW.

@ UFCW Local 135 President / I.U. V.P. Mickey Kasparian, where is Richard Barrera?

Richard Barrera is no where to be found at UFCW Local 135?????

http://ufcw135.com/contract-enforcementrepresentatives/

http://ufcw135.com/executive-board/

http://ufcw135.com/staff/

Again I ask,.....Did we miss something? ..........
John Briley
Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:50 pm

Quote:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Excerpt:

Effective February 1, 2016, I will join the team at the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW), Local 135 as successor to Rosalyn Hackworth, Executive Assistant and Secretary-Treasurer. In this role, I will have an opportunity to return to my organizing roots and help chart a path for the future of our labor movement.

I see the potential for San Diego’s workers to build tremendous strength and power in the next decade by organizing powerhouse locals the way workers in Los Angeles, Chicago and New York have.”

Very interesting that as of today's date, May 24, 2016, UFCW Local 135 appears to be withholding / hiding Mr. Barrera from their website at the following links!

We do however get a glimpse of Mr. Barrera participating at a UFCW Local 135 event on or about May 20, 2016..........

Quote:

https://twitter.com/UFCW135

UFCW Local 135 ‏@UFCW135 May 20

Former LabCorp worker, Trish talks truth to power @ press conference.

So, so..... strange.....

After multiple announcements that Mr. Barrera is going to start work at Local 135 on February 1, 2016, including our UFCW I.U. President Marc Perrone welcoming Mr. Barrera to Local 135, as of today's date, I have yet to find one official announcement from Local 135 re: Mr. Barrera.

In fact, Local 135 still hasn't posted anything on their website!

@ UFCW Local 135 President / I.U. V.P. Mickey Kasparian, is Richard Barrera employed at UFCW Local 135? If so, in what capacity?

John Briley
Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:38 pm

Quote:

UFCW Makes a Historic Change

ROSALYN HACKWORTH

Secretary-Treasurer

As many of you already know, I’m retiring at the beginning of June, and so this will be my last column for The Worker.

I’d like to take this time to give you all some advice.

Check your pay stubs every payday

Only you know if your paychecks are correct. If they are not, go to your store manager or your bookkeeper and if they can’t work it out for you, call your union representative and he or she will work it out for you.

Stay or become active in your union

The labor movement is a cause, and there truly is strength in numbers. When we stick together, we get what we need and what we want. We see a great deal of activism during contract negotiations, but it’s important to come out to rallies and actions for others as well. If you do, they will come out for you when you need help, as they showed you during the 2003 - 2004 strike.

Know your rights

Your contract gives you rights. The most important one is your Weingarten Rights. It is the workplace equivalent to your Miranda rights. You have the right to remain silent, which is the same as saying you have a right against self incrimination. If your manager is going to discipline you, tell them you want to have your union representative present. You have that right. Use it.

Check IDs

Always check identification when selling cigarettes and alcohol. Memorial Day weekend is coming up, as well as other summertime holidays, and people are out buying beer or other types of alcohol. Checkout lines will become longer, and a busy checker might unintentionally forget to check the ID of someone who doesn’t appear to be over the age of 35.

This could cost you your job. State regulators are aggressive in the efforts to crack down on the sale of alcohol to minors.

Don’t gossip. Don’t listen to gossip

Every time we negotiate a contract, rumors start flying. If you hear something and need clarification, ask your union representative. They are up-to-date on all issues regarding negotiations.

If you don’t hear anything from us, it’s because there is nothing to report. We understand that you may get nervous. This, after all, is your job, your livlihood. Trust your union. Negotiators really do have your best interests at heart.

Keep in mind that this is your union. It’s not our union. We are here to serve you.

Register to vote and vote in all elections

It is important for working families that we all vote. We have a stringent endorsement process for candidates we believe will support us in making laws to support workers. See pages 3, 8 and 9.

Thank you!

I want to thank you all for a wonderful career. You members have become my friends. And I’m appreciative of everyone who’s been involved all of these years.

I will also miss the staff at the local, and I want to thank President Mickey Kasparian for being a good friend and for being supportive as a boss. We really worked well together.

My future is very bright now. I’m moving to Georgia and I can do whatever I want! I’m looking forward to whatever the future brings!
Good luck to all of you.

One part of the puzzle has now been answered!

Quote:
ROSALYN HACKWORTH

Secretary-Treasurer

As many of you already know, I’m retiring at the beginning of June, and so this will be my last column for The Worker.

John Briley
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:13 pm

The information below is an excerpt from UFCW Local 135's 2015 LM2 Report.

DOL LM2 Website Link:

Quote:

Form LM-2 (Revised 2010)

ITEMS 10 THROUGH 21

FILE NUMBER: 517-319

10. During the reporting period did the labor organization create or participate in the administration of a trust or a fund or organization, as defined in the instructions, which provides benefits for members or beneficiaries? Yes

11(a). During the reporting period did the labor organization have a political action committee (PAC) fund? Yes

11(b). During the reporting period did the labor organization have a subsidiary organization as defined in Section X of these Instructions? No

12. During the reporting period did the labor organization have an audit or review of its books and records by an outside accountant or by a parent body auditor/representative? Yes

13. During the reporting period did the labor organization discover any loss or shortage of funds or other assets? (Answer "Yes" even if there has been repayment or recovery.) No

14. What is the maximum amount recoverable under the labor organization's fidelity bond for a loss caused by any officer, employee or agent of the labor organization who handled union funds? $2,000,000

15. During the reporting period did the labor organization acquire or dispose of any assets in a manner other than purchase or sale? Yes

16. Were any of the labor organization's assets pledged as security or encumbered in any way at the end of the reporting period? No

17. Did the labor organization have any contingent liabilities at the end of the reporting period? No

18. During the reporting period did the labor organization have any changes in its constitution or bylaws, other than rates of dues and fees, or in practices/procedures listed in the instructions? No

19. What is the date of the labor organization's next regular election of officers? 12/2018

20. How many members did the labor organization have at the end of the reporting period? 11,261

21. What are the labor organization's rates of dues and fees?
Rates of Dues and Fees

Dues/Fees Amount Unit Minimum Maximum

(a) Regular Dues/Fees 19.00-58.50 per MONTH 19.00 58.50

(b) Working Dues/Fees NONE per NONE NONE NONE

(c) Initiation Fees 50.00-400.00 per JOB CLASS 50.00 400.00

(d) Transfer Fees NONE per NONE NONE NONE

(e) Work Permits NONE per NONE NONE NONE

Specifically,.....

Quote:

19. What is the date of the labor organization's next regular election of officers? 12/2018

to be continued...........
John Briley
Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:57 pm

Quote:

One part of the puzzle has now been answered!

ROSALYN HACKWORTH

Secretary-Treasurer

Finally, we now have the second part of the puzzle!

Quote:

Member Engagement = Strong Union

RICHARD BARRERA

Executive Assistant

UFCW Local 135 is an incredibly strong and powerful union. Our strength has always come from our members standing together, for ourselves and for other workers.

Member engagement is what the union is all about. You are the union and it’s time for all of us to recommit ourselves to our cause. We have a number of things going on right now that you can get involved in.

First up, we need you to help us settle a fair contract with your LabCorp brothers and sisters.

A year ago, LabCorp phlebotomists had the courage to organize for the first time and are now fighting for their first contract. LabCorp is horribly understaffed, which is a danger to patients and unfair to the workers who are disciplined.

Patients sometimes have to wait for two to three hours to have their blood drawn. This is not acceptable – especially considering many of them have had to fast for their blood test.

LabCorps system for obtaining correct codes is flawed and has resulted in the wrong tests being performed and workers being disciplined. So, at this time, we ask that you get your blood drawn elsewhere. We may need your help in action against LabCorp as well. We will notify you when we have a contract.

We are negotiating to fix these problems. We encourage you to be a part of the change.

Secondly, we ask that you shop and get your prescriptions filled at our newly organized CVS stores (see page 10 for one near you). We have hundreds of new brothers and sisters and we want to show them our support. Wear a UFCW Local 135 pin or t-shirt while shopping there so they know you’re with them.

And lastly, we request that you vote in the primary election on June 7. Last month we published the labor-endorsed candidates in The Worker. We did the research on each candidate we would like you to elect the ones we have chosen as they are best for working families.

If you need a refresher on who they are, go to ufcw135.org/endorsed-candidates/.
We are not just another special interest group. We are a movement that provides a powerful voice for America’s workers.

We believe that the single most important issue at this time is raising the minimum wage in San Diego. It will lift up everyone, including our members.

Governor Jerry Brown recently signed legislation to increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour, but we also need this second, local minimum wage initiative to pass.
Right now, in our community, people are working full time and still living in poverty. Parents are forced to choose between a day’s pay and caring for a sick child.

The minimum wage increase will give 170,000 San Diegans an immediate raise and provide workers five sick days, whereas the state law in place now gives only three sick days.

If you are not registered to vote, please register now so you can vote in the general election in November. Call us and we will send you a voter registration form or go to http://registertovote.ca.gov/.

We can really make a difference for working families in the upcoming election. Electing candidates who share our vision and care about working families is what we’re all about. When we vote, working families win.

John Briley
Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:01 pm

Pretty slick how UFCW Local 135 and the I.U. is trying to pull off slipping Richard Barrera into the Secretary-Treasurer position at UFCW Local 135 under the radar, ultimately "attempting" to avoid the whole issue of establishing UFCW Eligibility!

Let's begin with the following excerpt taken directly from UFCW Local 135's 2014 LM2 Report.

Quote:

UFCW Local 135's "2014 LM2 Report":

Excerpt:

19. What is the date of the labor organization's next regular election of officers? 12/2015

Note: In 2014 Local 135 declared that their next election of officers would be held on or about 12/ 2015.

Quote:

DOL LM2 Website Link:

UFCW Local 135 / LM2 File Number:
517-319

UFCW I.U. / LM2 File Number:
000-056

Note: UFCW Local 135 President Mickey Kasparian is also a UFCW I.U. V.P.

So Local 135 / I.U. and Team Kasaparian get re-elected "under the radar" on or about December 2015. Knowing full well that Secretary-Treasurer Rosalyn Hackworth will soon be retiring in the middle of 2016 and that Richard Barrera would be filling said position in the months to come.

Again, please review the respective news articles highlighted above re: this pre-planned move by Barrera and Local 135.

Local 135's 2015 Officer's Election comes and goes without any fanfare and Local 135 then completes their 2015 LM2 Report!

Specifically,....

Quote:

UFCW Local 135's 2015 "LM2 Report":

Excerpt:

It is important to note that UFCW Local 135 isn't scheduled for another Officer's Election until December 2018!

With Barrera now on staff at Local 135, (keep in mind, in my view, Local 135 went out of their way to hide Barrera's position at Local 135, see above), presumably, the following would take place.

Let's refer to the UFCW I.U. Constitution and the applicable language.

Quote:

http://www.ufcw.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Constitution-Complete-DRAFT.pdf
ARTICLE 35
Local Union Elections pages 26-28

Excerpt:

23. Any challenge or appeal which could have been presented in compliance with these filing requirements, but was not, shall be deemed to have been waived.

(D) 1. Where vacancies occur in any office of a Local Union, the Local Union Executive Board, not later than 90 days after the vacancy occurs, shall fill the vacancy for the balance of the term. However, a vacancy in the office of Local Union President shall be filled no earlier than 30 days nor later than 90 days after the vacancy occurs.

Any member filling a vacancy must satisfy the eligibility requirements of Article 35(A) as applicable to the filling of vacancies.

ARTICLE 35

Local Union Elections

(A) An active member in the Local Union, who has been an active member in the Local Union, or who had been a member of another organization merged with the Local Union, for a continuous aggregate of at least 12 months immediately preceding the month in which nominations are held, or an active member in the Local Union who has been an active member in the International Union continuously for at least 24 months immediately preceding the month in which nominations are held, shall be eligible to hold any Local Union office, provided that said member maintains continuous active membership in the Local Union.

Since we can not interpret the I.U. Constitution, I still must raise the question to UFCW I.U. President Marc Perrone re: this entire matter......

Quote:
Any member filling a vacancy must satisfy the eligibility requirements of Article 35(A) as applicable to the filling of vacancies.

John Briley
Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:08 am

Quote:

So what's happening down at UFCW Local 135 in San Diego California?

The following was just sent to me re: UFCW Local 135’s President Mickey Kasparian.

Quote:

December 17, 2016

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/UFCW-135-Mickey-Kasparian-Complaint-Sandy-Naranjo-407222975.html

Former Employee Accuses Union Leader of Gender Discrimination

Sandy Naranjo, a former United Food and Commercial Workers Union employee, claims she was fired due to gender discrimination and political retaliation, but her employer says the claims are 'meritless'

By Omari Fleming

Excerpt:

One of San Diego's well-known union leaders is facing serious allegations of gender discrimination and political retaliation, as outlined in a complaint lawsuit filed by a former employee.

The civil complaint is being filed by Sandy Naranjo against the United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW), which is headed by Mickey Kasparian.

Quote:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Local-Union-Leader-Facing-Sexual-Harrassment-Allegations-407679315.html

December 20, 2016

Local Union Leader Facing Sexual Harassment Allegations

“It was humiliating, degrading and I never shared this with a soul,” said Isabel Vasquez

By Omari Fleming

Excerpt:

A well-known union leader in San Diego was hit with another legal complaint.

Mickey Kasparian is facing sexual harassment allegations outlined in a civil complaint filed by a former, female employee.

Isabel Vasquez told NBC 7 that she had enough.

She filed the civil suit against the United Food and Commercial Workers Union as well as Mickey Kasparian, who heads it.

Vasquez says the sexual harassment started a year after she started working as an insurance clerk.

“It was humiliating, degrading and I never shared this with a soul,” Vasquez said, near tears.

John Briley
Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:47 am

Morning Report .....Breaking Down the UFCW Lawsuits...Voice of San Diego.

Quote:

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/news/morning-report-breaking-down-the-labor-lawsuits/

Morning Report: Breaking Down the UFCW Lawsuits

By Sara Libby | 14 hours ago

Excerpt(s):

Two women have filed lawsuits against powerful local labor leader Mickey Kasparian.

The suits are separate and one contains very serious allegations. Both suggest Kasparian, who runs the United Food and Commercial Workers union, leads through intimidation and fear, and that he misbehaves toward women. Kasparian denies all of the allegations.

In an exhaustive story, Andrew Keatts lays out the various charges and the responses from those involved.

One of the suits also “reveals the depth and extent of the war going on between him and other local progressives,” Keatts writes.
http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/news/everything-we-know-about-the-lawsuits-facing-labor-chief/

Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow UFCW Eligibility - What does it mean?
Page 1 of 2
page: 1, 2  next
Jump to: