Previously Owned Jets for Sale

Mulligan
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:24 pm

Quote:
Venezuela Weighs Selling U.S. Jets to Iran
May 16 12:53 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

CARACAS, Venezuela

Venezuela is considering selling its fleet of U.S.-made F-16 fighter jets to another country, perhaps Iran, in response to a U.S. ban on arms sales to President Hugo Chavez's government, a military official said Tuesday.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/05/16/D8HL07900.html

Iím looking for a down side in this story but I canít find one. Chavez sells cheap oil to poor Europeans, then sells US jets to Iran make up the difference in the oil price. Iran tries to use the jets against the US in the Middle East. The US [or Israel] then shoots down the jets thereby creating a demand for more jets. There must be some economic irony involved here but Iím not sure what it is.

Then:

Quote:
Chavez has previously warned he could share the U.S. jets with Cuba if Washington does not supply parts for the planes.

This guyís got some serious machismo going on; chutzpah even.
Back to top profile :: pm
SharynS
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:41 pm

Why would any country, including the US of A, want to keep jets, or anything for that matter, if parts are not available? This isn't about the sale of friggin' jets, it's about US control running into another roadblock - Chavez and near the rest of the world.

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:56 pm

Quote:
Öif parts are not available?

Well OK, but parts are available. Chavez is, in effect, trying to blackmail the US into supplying parts for the very jets that he wants to use against us. Thatís why Iím saying, oi Ėthis guy needs to up his dosage.
Back to top profile :: pm
SharynS
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:03 pm

Really - I suppose the ban on arms sales announced by washington was merely an unrelated co-incidence. Rolling Eyes

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:24 am

I can still remember my days in the military when there were as many Iranian pilots on our bases as there were U.S. pilots. We didn't have to salute them but we had to give them the respect deserving of military officers. They were trained with our planes and our current technology; they were housed in the officer's quarters; and afterward we sent them home with a brand new certificate of American training and a new fleet of F4s.

Now who were we talking about....Chavez?

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:04 pm

As much as I admire some things about Chavez (his relentless criticism of the corporatist-imperialist agenda being the most prominent), I don't think that he is helping the cause of "the people" by fanning the flames of conflict.

The Iranian and American administrations are two theocracies beating war drums that could result in a yet another pointless slaughter of humans. Offering to supply one side or the other with weapons (for whatever reason) belies an agenda that isn't exactly about the interests of "the people" at all.

Chavez is showing a side of himself that is troubling. As much as I enjoy his anti-imperialist rhethoric and frequent flamings of Bush and his buddies, I also perceive a dictatorial, manipulative orientation in Chavez that is not at all unlike that of the guys he's criticizing.

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:24 pm

Chavez is claiming the parts have been ordered and paid for. Maybe they should at least refund Venezuela's money. Razz

Quote:
Venezuela Weighs Selling U.S. Jets to Iran

The defense minister also said the United States has violated a contract by refusing to sell Venezuela replacement parts for its jets, even after Venezuela paid for those parts.

"I've honestly grown tired of asking for replacement parts for the F-16s," Maniglia said at a news conference. "I've got my list. We've paid. We have money deposited in the United States."

He claimed that Washington has kept U.S., Israeli and South Korean firms from shipping parts.

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:36 pm

The US never shares or sells current technology. Chavez has jets with old technology (I'll bet that can be remotely screwed by the US in an air battle). Iran already has jets, so what's the big deal?

That being said, the US creates most of its problems by meddling on behalf of business interestes in other peoples' affairs.
Back to top profile :: pm :: e-mail :: www
SharynS
Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:14 pm

Oh for sure wm, these old rulers know no other way except thru war and control. But in the mean time there's some empowerment going on and that's very difficult to take back in one sitting.

Perhaps there's an international alliance to disrupt the american dream once and for all. I'm torn between sweet and holy shit!

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:01 am

Quote:
That being said, the US creates most of its problems by meddling on behalf of business interestes in other peoples' affairs.

The defense contractors such as Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, Boeing, and Lockheed Martin are the heart and soul behind worldwide weapons sales. And they do it with the blessing of the U.S. government agencies, which are impossible to tell apart from the defense corporations upon which they bestow their blessings. If you're interested in a very advanced database of arms sales, you will be very happy to visit Arms Sales Monitoring Project.

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: