Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow UFCW No. Ca. Food Negs. / Round 2

UFCW No. Ca. Food Negs. / Round 2

page: 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  next
John Briley
Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:43 am

Here it is Tuesday, September 17, 2013 and I’m wondering “if" UFCW President’s Lind, Loveall and Sharpe ( Local's 5, 8 and 648) are preparing for and or are gearing up to resume Food Negotiations once again with SaveMart / Luckys for Round Number 2 here in Northern California.

Not having any clue as to what President’s Lind, Loveall and Sharpe have up their sleeves, "if anything", one can only “assume” that based on the following language found in their recent Settlement Agreement / Stabilization Agreements that something “may” / “should” be taking place on or about October 12, 2013 when the Savemart / Lucky Agreement is scheduled to expire.
Quote:
SaveMart SuperMarkets / Luckys and UFCW Locals 5, 8-Golden State and 648
Settlement Agreement

Term of this Agreement
October 9, 2011 – October 12, 2013
Please review the following documents.

1. UFCW Local 5, 8 & 648 Settlement Agreement
(Total 14 Pages):

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/settlement_agreement_ufcw5_8_648.pdf

2. UFCW Local 5 "Stabilization Agreement" (Total 5 Pages):

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/stabilization_agreement_ufcw5.pdf

3. UFCW Local 8 & 648 "Stabilization Agreement"
(Total 7 Pages):

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/stabilization_agreement_ufcw8_648.pdf
For those who have been following this subject, here are various threads that pertain to this subject for your information and review.Attention Raleys / Nob Hill Members:

Successor Agreement / Stabilization Agreement (10-11-11 to10-12-14) between Raleys / Nob Hill and UFCW Local’s 5 & 8 effective October 9, 2011 through October 11, 2014.

Make sure you follow the Savemart / Lucky negotiations very closely and very carefully!

Based on the following sideletter, I have reason to believe that our Raleys / Nob Hill Members “may” be impacted with the “final results” the Union’s negotiate with Savemart / Lucky.
Quote:
SIDELETTER - FINANCIAL STATEMENT & STABILIZATION

The Employer will produce its audited financial income statement on a consolidated basis for confidential review thirty days prior to the end of the Stabilization Agreement.

If said income statement shows net income as a percent of gross sales less than 2.5%, the items covered by the Stabilization Agreement will be extended from year to year thereafter, subject to the same standard.

Further, if Save Mart reaches agreement with the unions, or any of the them, on converting any of the temporary concessions in this Stabilization Agreement to permanent status, Raley’s may make the same conversion and it will be included in the applicable Agreements.

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/raleys_nobhill_stabilization_side_letter.pdf
I ran across this interesting article that provides you with an overview of Safeway’s ability to HIDE THEIR MONEY offshore. I wonder “if” Lind, Loveall and Sharpe are aware of this article and or even give a shit?
Quote:
Sacramento Bee / Capitol Alert

July 31, 2013

Big California corporations parking $262 billion offshore

A dozen of California's largest corporations are holding nearly $262 billion in foreign earnings in offshore subsidiaries to shield the money from American taxation, according to a new study by a consumer advocacy group.

The 12 are on a list of 105 publicly traded American corporations collectively holding $1.17 trillion in earnings offshore, according to the study by a coalition of state Public Interest Research Group affiliates, including CALPIRG in California.

The critical study is entitled Offshore Shell Games and the PIRG coalition says the practice is depriving federal and state governments of much-needed revenue for public services.

California's Apple, was listed as having has the most offshore holdings of any American corporation, $82.66 billion.

Parking profits in other nations whose corporate tax rates are lower is not illegal, but has been widely criticized by liberal groups.

Chevron, California's largest corporation, is holding $26.5 billion, the report says, and others from the state on the list, by size of the firm, include Hewlett-Packard, $33.4 billion; McKesson, $3.8 billion; Apple, $82.7 billion; Wells-Fargo, $1.3 billion; Intel, $17.5 billion; Safeway, $1.3 billion; Cisco Systems, $41.3 billion; Walt Disney, $566 million; Sysco, $910 million; Google, $33.3 billion; Ingram Micro, $2.1 billion; and Oracle, $20.9 billion.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2013/07/big-california-corporations-parking-262-billion-offshore.html
Quote:
SAFEWAY, $1.3 BILLION ?????
This morning (Tuesday, September 17, 2013) the following was posted on my Facebook page from a SaveMart Member..
Quote:
SavMart is laying off people with sixteen years with the company. I just found out Sunday is my last day after sixteen years. The reason for the layoffs are because of store closures.

Key carriers are also being laid off.
Coincidence or legitimate business necessity / decision on the part of SaveMart / Luckys with their contract due to expire in a few weeks?

You decide?

Back to top profile :: pm
John Briley
Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:02 am

For the record, let's make sure that we also include the following.

Quote:
Those tough times led the company to stop paying bonuses and giving raises to store managers, a practice it has since reversed, according to the president of the chain's largest union local.

As a result, the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 8, which represents 11,000 Save Mart workers, has requested to review the company's books to decide whether to push for pay hikes that had been temporarily suspended.

"Save Mart's costs rose while its sales fell, burdening it with a competitive disadvantage against the likes of Wal-Mart and Target," Local 8 President Jacques Loveall said in an email.

Loveall said Piccinini's billionaire status doesn't factor into his decision to push for increased pay.

"The billionaires in the Walton family are the real threat to those who work in the retail industry."

Save Mart Owner Piccinini Quietly Becomes a Billionaire.

Published: August 10, 2013 / Fresno Bee

http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/08/10/3432654/save-mart-owner-piccinini-quietly.html

Interesting comments coming from President Loveall, who along with President's Lind and Sharpe, SOLD OUT the SaveMart /Lucky Member's with their most recent infamous Concessionary / Stabilization Agreements here in Northern California!

You will note that Loveall makes no mention about the $5.00 per hour "permanent" cut in pay that some of our SaveMart / Lucky Members were forced to take including all the other CONCESSIONS our Member's were forced to take !

With round two for No. Ca. Food negotations with SaveMart / Lucky's just around the corner (Oct. 2013), including Raleys / Nob Hill, let's see "if" Loveall, Lind and Sharpe can make another Food Employer in No. Ca. become a billionaire?????

John Briley
Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:03 pm

Quote:
SacBee

Safeway Adopts Poison Pill to Prevent Takeover

http://m.sacbee.com/sacramento/db_99246/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=iuHpWC8U

The Associated Press 09/17/2013 / 8:30 PM

John Briley
Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Quote:
SuperMarket News

Update: Activist Buyer Sparks Safeway ‘Poison Pill’
Sep. 17, 2013 / Jon Springer .

http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-financial/update-activist-buyer-sparks-safeway-poison-pill

PLEASANTON, Calif. — The investor that sparked Safeway’s adoption of a “poison pill” takeover defense Tuesday is Jana Partners, a New York-based activist investor.

Jana, known for influencing the boards of companies like Marathon Petroleum and McGraw Hill, said in federal documents Tuesday that it acquired nearly 15 million shares of Safeway for a 6.2% ownership stake, and that it intends to use the stake to engage with management in discussion of strategic alternatives, potential market exits and other matters.

My friend of Misery
Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Regarding Save Mart negotiations just around the corner...
Save Mart workers have had to swallow layoff's, huge five dollar pay reductions, takeaway's for their holidays, vacations and Sunday pay. While, Save Mart's owner, Bob Piccinini quietly becomes a billionaire. http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/08/10/3432654/save-mart-owner-piccinini-quietly.html Lets not forget most of our union leaders also gave themselves generous 10k raises on the members dime. http://kcerds.dol-esa.gov/query/getOrgQryResult.do (At the top enter file number 543-632 of this DOL site to see your unions spending.) Bob Piccinini, Jacques Loveall, and Ron Lind never said thank you to all the members (suckers in their eye's) for making it all possible for them to profit off of the poor members misfortune. http://fall2009.voice-of-action.org/VOAFall2009SaveMartCEOSalute.htm

Now, who's side do you think your current union leaders are really on? The trust is gone. The membership solidarity our union leaders arrogantly preach, is now just a delusional illusion. Our leaders are smoking some really bad granola if they think the majority of Save Mart/Raley's/Nob Hill members will put their asses on the line again. Why should they? For what? More concessions and another sellout?! Local 5&8 may have won the strike, but they lost the members trust. That's a hefty price to pay for their arrogance. Trust, the key component for union solidarity is gone. Negotiations are going to get very interesting to say the least. Unfortunately, the only people that will suffer are the members.

My prediction of the inevitable outcome will be: Save Mart and Raley's chain bosses will campaign for a desertification election, and win. A direct result of Local 5&8's year after year concessionary contracts, and unwillingness to fight or properly represent the workers. Ask yourself, why wouldn't this outcome happen? After all, our bosses hear we are pissed everyday. And our union is not interested in actually resolving our real problems, as long as they still have their overpaid jobs...

The Unforgiven
Outlawtorn
One
Minus Human
No leaf clover
Sanitarium
mAgIc mAn
G-Man
THE DOPE SHOW
Binding Of Isaac
unionnow
Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:59 pm

I wonder where the Obummer care healthcare exchanges fit into the mix. Under the bummer you do not qualify for employer healthcare if you are working less than thirty hours a week

In 1999 65% of US workers had employer sponsored healthcare. Now it is near 50% with companies kicking workers off the rolls to the bummers plan as we speak.

I remmember working 16 hours a week and getting 100% healthcare under a UFCW contract. My how things have changed.

One wonders about the timing of the "agreement" and the kicking in of o'bummer care.

I am from the government and I am here to help you.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:56 am

If you read the settlement agreement it does state on the oct12 2013 the terms of the agreement would end.Stabilization agreement runs oct.2014.I talked to a friend who works for Savemart who believes the stabilization agreement supercedes the contract agreement.I am not so sure considering the fact that both agreements appear to have final draft on the same day.I can't find anything in either contract about health care guaranties.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:48 am

You don't find guarantees because there are none.
The unions are ramping up to go into negotiations with savemart/lucky now. Yes, the contract is up on Oct. 12. According to my understanding from what J. Briley has posted, if the company has not "stabilized" it's finances, the stabilization agreement remains in effect.
Numerous corporations have eliminated their retiree healthcare and those retirees are being told to go to the plans handling Obamacare. It will be interesting to see what grocery does with their retirees. One sure fire bet is that benefits with the ufcw health trust will not be getting more generous.
What say you, Mr. Briley?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:24 pm

ooto... since Lind, Loveall and Sharpe are the "sellout artists-in-chief" responsible for these unprecedented Concessionary Contracts, they are the only ones who really know the secrets to these piece of shit contracts!

Having said that, my comments are based only on what I've read and have tried to piece together.

Specifically, let's take a look at the order in which the Concessionary Contracts / Stabilization Agreements here in Northern California were ratified.
Quote:
1. Savemart / Luckys (UFCW Locals 5, Eight & 648):

Retail Food Agreement:

Term of Agreement - October 9, 2011 - October 12, 2013.

Stabilization Agreement (UFCW Local 5):

Term of Agreement - August 8, 2012 - August 10, 2014.
Quote:
2. Nob Hill / Raleys (UFCW Locals 5 & Eight):

Successor Agreement / Nob Hill General Stores:

October 9, 2011 - October 11, 2014.

Stabilization Agreement (UFCW Local 5 & Eight):

October 12, 2011 - October 11, 2014.
Quote:
3. Safeway (UFCW Locals 5, Eight & 648):

Term of Agreement:

October 9, 2011 - October 11, 2014.

No Stabilization Agreement.
Additionally, not trying to sound like a broken record, I continue to be very concerned about the language found in the Raleys / Nob Hill side letter.
Quote:
SIDELETTER - FINANCIAL STATEMENT & STABILIZATION

The Employer will produce its audited financial income statement on a consolidated basis for confidential review thirty days prior to the end of the Stabilization Agreement.

If said income statement shows net income as a percent of gross sales less than 2.5%, the items covered by the Stabilization Agreement will be extended from year to year thereafter, subject to the same standard.

Further, if Save Mart reaches agreement with the unions, or any of the them, on converting any of the temporary concessions in this Stabilization Agreement to permanent status, Raley’s may make the same conversion and it will be included in the applicable Agreements.

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/raleys_nobhill_stabilization_side_letter.pdf
All of the above MUST mean something!

You would think that Lind, Loveall and Sharpe would be informing their affected members / Retirees about what in the hell is going on?

Especially for "some" of those SaveMart / Lucky Members who received the permanent $5.00 per hour cut in pay!

What "if" anything are Lind, Loveall and Sharpe planning to do to reverse this outrageous and unprecedented contract concession?

What does appear to be Local 5's top priority is "PR"..ing their annual golf tournament!
Quote:
Shoot for a Cure & Labor Foundation Golf Fundraiser Event.

Monday, October 14, 2013

Shoot for a Cure

Cost Per Player:

$175 for Clay Shoot

CLICK HERE for Shoot registration

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Labor Foundation for Working Families Golf Outing

Cost Per Player:

$75.00 for Golf

$200.00 for Clays and Golf

Members only, all others need to call.

CLICK HERE for Golf registration or for more information contact:

Tim Hamann 925-269-2441 or Joanne Los Banos at 650-871-3514.

http://ufcw5.org/shoot-for-a-cure-labor-foundation-golf-fundraiser-event
WTF!!!!!
unionnow
Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:06 am

Quote:
If you read the settlement agreement it does state on the oct12 2013 the terms of the agreement would end.

Unless specifically agreed to in writing....it would end.

At the end it says the parties agree to modify the collective bargaining agreement....and incorporate and reflect....changes necessary....

Lots of wiggle room there.

Didn't think about the retiree's. Its a good opportunity to kick them over the side.

If Luckys expires 2 months prior to the others then they will set the standard.

I would suppose (I do not desire to read the garbage) that they could change the stablization agreement and make it worse or keep it the same?

The 2.5% net is funny. All they have to do is pay themselves fat raises to avoid that. Being a private company who would know?

All in all I am glad I got out. I need to go back and see some of my coworkers. I wonder how they feel?

Nothing like a golf course deal to set workers back a few more decades. They are experts at that.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:26 am

I understand that health care coverage is renegotiated every contract.As a retiree it is of major importance so when I realized that my health care coverage could end in a month rather than 2014 I was pretty taken aback because my super slick Bob Guccione union magazine came out explaining the wonderfullness of the union efforts I forgot this isn't a Penthouse publication it was Larry Flint Hustler publication.I can't trust my government,my employer,and the union for honesty and transparency.I am starting to think Wayne LA Peeyou of the Nra is right about being armed and vigilant.Sorry if I sound pissed at the whole corporate takeover of this country but I am.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:54 am

Scarey Stuff, huh. Brother, you've been bamboozled just like every other ufcw retiree. The companies have been laying the ground work for this eventuality for 20 years. I predicted that retiree healthcare would be dumped by now. I can't believe it's still there.
I, also, believed the pension would be history but after the pension protection act of 2006 mandating pensions must be funded, I assumed pensions, as a result of the act, were safe, as guaranteed. I didn't know the act ended in 2014. But, THEY knew. Just watch how all of this continues to unfold. If this comes to push to shove, at least now there is obamacre.
Who can you trust? The list is greatly diminished.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Hold on to your hats. If the pension protection act ends in 2014 it is because the companies and the unions plan to pass a new law where they can cut your benefits after you retire.

It was posted on here a while back...gotta go to work.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:54 am

Here it is Wednesday, October 9, 2013 and with 3 days remaining until the SaveMart / Lucky contract is due to expire on October 12, 2013, Local 5 finally posts some information for their affected SaveMart / Lucky including their FoodMaxx Memberships concerning the status of their Contract Negotiations!

Lets first start with Local 5's website update for SaveMart / Lucky upcoming negotiations!

Quote:

http://ufcw5.org/negotiation-update-for-lucky-save-mart

Posted October 9, 2013

Lucky-Save Mart Agreement to Expire October 12, Extension Pending/Negotiations to Commence

UFCW Local 5’s contract with Lucky-Save Mart expires on October 12, 2013. Accordingly, the union is in the process of securing dates with the company to set the ground rules and begin discussions for a new contract.

Contract vs. Stabilization Agreement

The last set of negotiations were complicated and went on far past expiration. Those talks resulted in the contract that expires October 12 and a companion stabilization agreement that expires August 10, 2014.

The stabilization agreement was entered into because of the company’s tenuous economic status and is meant to get the chain on a sufficient footing to continue to operate.

The stabilization agreement covers most economic matters, but not all, and nothing will preclude us from discussing economic improvements in the context of our contract negotiations.

Items for Consideration in Contract Talks

Issues covered by the expiring contract include health and welfare contributions for medical coverage.

The hourly contributions made by the employer pay for Trust Fund medical coverage and are vital for the provision of good benefits for you and your family.

The higher the contribution, the better the medical coverage for members and their families.

The expiring contract also covers a range of language issues including the important topic of Senior Clerk/Food Produce Clerk ratios.

Your Role

Your attention and participation in this process will be important to the success of the talks. Please continue to monitor the website and Local 5’s Facebook page for progress, meeting announcements and opportunities for involvement.

www.ufcw5.org

Click to download and print flyer
http://ufcw5.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Luckpdfupdate2-1.pdf

It is important to note that SaveMart is the parent Company for our Members working at FoodMaxx.

Here is Local 5's Negotiatiation Update for their FoodMaxx Members.

Quote:

http://ufcw5.org/foodmaxx

Posted October 8, 2013

Foodmaxx Negotiations Set to Resume

The contract between Foodmaxx and the union expired on June 30, 2011 and has been on extension since that time.

Since then a new contract has come into effect at Lucky-Save Mart. That agreement is set to expire on October 12 and will go on a short-term extension.

Why the delay over a new agreement at Foodmaxx? While contracts were being negotiated in the rest of the industry, the decision was made, after some initial meetings with the company, to extend the contract at Foodmaxx to assure that all wages, working conditions and benefits remained in effect until the time came for full resumption of Foodmaxx negotiations as well as the renegotiation of the Lucky/Save Mart agreement. That time is now.

While overall contract talks are set to resume soon, separate discussions around your medical benefits have resulted in some important progress toward agreement. Local 5 and Local 8 are in the process of setting up dates with the company for negotiations around all aspects of your contract.

Your Role

With the resumption of negotiations it is imperative that you support the process to ensure a successful result. Speak with your shop steward and your union representative and keep up to date with developments on the union bulletin board, the Local 5 website and Facebook page.

www.ufcw5.org

John Briley
Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:55 pm

With the SaveMart / Lucky Concessionary Contract having expired on October 12, 2013, I was curious as to what if anything was going on with any updates from Lind, Loveall and Sharpe?

Let's start off with UFCW Local 5.

http://ufcw5.org/

Quote:
http://ufcw5.org/negotiation-update-for-lucky-save-mart

Posted October 9, 2013

Lucky-Save Mart Agreement to Expire October 12.

Extension Pending/Negotiations to Commence
Well it appears that Lind hasn't updated Local 5's website since October 9th!

I wonder what is going on over at Local 8?

http://yourbreadandbutter.com/news/industry-discussions/234-save-mart-and-lucky-sign-contract-extension

Quote:
http://yourbreadandbutter.com/news/industry-discussions/234-save-mart-and-lucky-sign-contract-extension

Save Mart Signs Contract Extension; Includes Lucky Stores

October 10, 2013 - Save Mart and Lucky Stores have signed a contract extension agreement covering all of their retail food stores in our jurisdiction.

This means all of your current contract provisions will remain in effect as the Union and management continue negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement.

Your wages, benefits and work rules will not change as we move past the original expiration date. The extension agreement has no expiration date, though either side, the unions or management, have the option of cancelling it after giving 72 hours written notice.

We'll provide additional updates of these negotiations as developments occur.

In the mean time, thank you for standing strong with your Union and always remember, Solidarity Works!

Jacques
Interesting that Loveall states that...
Quote:
October 10, 2013 - Save Mart and Lucky Stores have signed a contract extension agreement covering all of their retail food stores in our jurisdiction.

Your wages, benefits and work rules will not change as we move past the original expiration date.

The extension agreement has no expiration date, though either side, the unions or management, have the option of cancelling it after giving 72 hours written notice.

and then there is UFCW Local 648.....

http://www.ufcw648.org/

Quote:
http://www.ufcw648.org/

ATTENTION UFCW LOCAL 648 MEMBERS WORKING AT LUCKY STORES

Your Union and employer have extended your current contract while negotiations take place. We will advise you of any developments.

In Unity,

Michael Sharpe Milton Hum
President Secretary-Treasurer
So President Lind at Local 5..... Do we have an extension agreement or not?????

Attention all SaveMart / Lucky Member's throughout Northern California...... you better stay tuned very very closely to these negotiations.

BTW.... have any of the above mentioned three Local Unions scheduled any meetings with their affected memberships and or provide said members with any detailed information concerning these negotiations, other than what little information is posted on their websites???

I sincerely hope that Lind, Loveall and Sharpe DO NOT Sell Out our Members again by negotiating another Concessionary Contract with SaveMart / Lucky.

Now we wait and see?
Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow UFCW No. Ca. Food Negs. / Round 2
Page 1 of 36
page: 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  next
Jump to: