Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow 3rd Times a Charm for Local 5?

3rd Times a Charm for Local 5?

page: prev  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  next
My friend of Misery
Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Laboryes wrote:
one of the others wrote:
Now that J. Briley confirmed the extension letter came from the Dept. of Justice (a definite bump up from the Dept. of Labor), I really wondered what would prompt the move to RICO. Could it be organized crime if the local used strike fund monies it took to support perks the local gave themselves. Then, I remembered the letter ron lind. wrote to f.a.i.r.

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2010/02/23/18638608.php

In reviewing the election, is it possible it uncovered many more illegal abuses?

I have a question. If the DOJ uncovered more illegal abuses in Lind's letter to F.A.I.R. do you feel that anyone within F.A.I.R. could go down under RICO charges too?

There are VERY few innocents in Locals 5 & 8 AND F.A.I.R. MANY informed members hope they DO get slapped with RICO charges. Lind/Loveall, SHIT-JUST-GOT-REAL for our "poor" and "honest" local leaders. Laughing UFCW has taken advantage of their members for too long! Where losing union market share because of self serving, sellouts, like these... Justice WILL be served, ANY WAY YOU SLICE IT.

The Unforgiven
Outlawtorn
One
Minus Human
No leaf clover
Sanitarium
mAgIc mAn
G-Man
THE DOPE SHOW
Binding Of Isaac
Back to top profile :: pm
one of the others
Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:45 am

No doubt everything done by the international and the locals has been mishandled, to be diplomatic. Your union leadership was fat and happy in the 80's with lots of money flowing in and salaries skyrocketed, to the point of obscenity. They didn't organize shit, ie walmart. As a result, everything pretty much fell apart, but your union leadership continued to feast on the members. The membership is not blameless, though.
Where the hell were they? They were feeling fat and happy,too.
So, anyway, long story short, all hell is breaking loose. Nonunion employers are everywhere. Retirees are on the verge of losing their pensions. Those long term employees who saw the high paid, good times are on the verge off falling off the edge or having to work until they fall apart or die. The new, low wage employees are getting dicked in every way imaginable. The grocery industry (retail in general) has become an entry level, immigrant job--not much better than fast food (part time hours, unreliable scheduling, reduced top pay, reduced health benefits with higher costs, reduced vacations, reduced pension contributions, higher dues, less contract protection and less union representation, approximately 8 years of full time hours to reach that lower journeyman wage, etc.).
Anyway, the union leadership has not been affected by any of this dismal reality. and, I'm sure, it is their intention to remain unscathed. The members are pissed and rightfully so, but they will always be the losers in this game. It is possible for the international to come in and take the local and give it to another local, like local 8 (trusteeship because of internal problems on the eboard or criminal activity). Another election or trusteeship? Things are a mess.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:13 am

With the serious possibility of a third Union Election looming in the future for Local 5 President Ron Lind and his entire Regime, Lind, et.al., continue to amaze me with their BONEHEAD decisions they continue to make at Local 5 on behalf of their Members!

It appears that Lind and his Regime have picked up where they left off during their recently concluded Negotiations wherein they went out of their way to AVOID MEETING FACE-TO-FACE with their respective memberships, instead choosing the "safety" of town-hall / telephone meetings!

Today, Friday, August 23, 2013 I ran across the following website posting at Local 5.

Quote:

General Membership Meeting Calendar Update.
Posted August 23, 2013

Changes have been made to the membership meetings effective immediately.

All general membership meetings will be held quarterly on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 7pm.

Locations and the dates of these meetings are listed on the image below. Please be sure to make changes to your calendar to attend the quarterly meetings most convenient to you.

If you have any questions, please contact the communication department at 408.998.0428.

http://ufcw5.org/membership-meeting-calendar

To be candid, after reading the above, I was outraged that Lind and his Regime clearly have gone out of their way, once again, to make Local Union Membership Meetings extremely difficult to attend by our Local 5 Member's!

Case in point in former Local 839's area, Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties, Lind has scheduled only one (1) meeting at 7PM in Castroville.

Members must now commute from Santa Cruz to Castroville.

Members must now commute from Salinas to Castroville.

Members must commute from the Monterey Peninsula to Castroville to attend one (1) meeting at 7PM.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN and President Lind and his Regime know it!!!!!

By way of an example, at former Local 839 we had Quarterly Membership Meetings AM & PM in Monterey, Santa Cruz and Salinas. Six (6) Meetings in total our members had the opportunity to attend!

By the way, if my memory serves me correctly, in former Local 839's area, Salinas and Santa Cruz have the majority of the stores and members.

In the city of Castroville, we have only one (1) Union Store.

Go figure how and why Lind and his Regime chose this new meeting schedule for the city of Castroville?

Clearly, President Lind and his Regime continue to demonstrate their callous disregard towards our Members by not making our Union Membership Meetings more accesible and convenient for our Members to attend!

Undoubtedly we will hear all kinds of Bull-Shit Excuses from Lind and his Regime for the new Membership Meeting Schedule outlined above.

The fact of the matter is that President Lind and his Regime continue to demonstrate that they could give a shit less about the Members at Local 5!

It will be interesting to see how much push back the Members will give Lind and his Regime for this "new" meeting schedule change(s)?

I guess my biggest question to Lind and his Regime is who benefits from this "new" meeting schedule?

The Members?

or....

Local 5 Union Reps who do not have to attend numerous Membership Meetings?

Quote:
Shame on You President Lind!

SharynS
Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Geez cut the guy some slack JB, you can't expect Lind to be available all the time now that he has not a job on the CALPERS fund - something has to go.
Quote:
President Lind emphasized the position, "is not a job and my primary responsibility will continue to be serving as president of our union."

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:51 pm

Quote:
Geez cut the guy some slack JB, you can't expect Lind to be available all the time now that he has not a job on the CALPERS fund - something has to go.
So maybe someone can help with this one?

Why do Union President's feel the need to create A "Foundation" in their name? Who really benefits from this?

The Member?

or....

the Local Union President?

Case in point....
Quote:
RON LIND WORKING FAMILIES FOUNDATION
It appears that there is a Ron Lind Working Families Foundation Golf Outing / Fundraiser Event scheduled for Tuesday, October 15, 2013.

http://ufcw5.org/calendar-and-events

In light of the most recent Concessionary / Stabilization Agreements that President Lind negotiated on behalf of the (Lucky / SaveMart) and (Raleys / Nob Hill) Members, Lind and his Regime might want to spend more time focusing on how Local 5 can reverse the "permanent" $5.00 per hour cut in pay for "some" of our (Lucky / Savemart) Members, including "reversing" the Concessions for said bargaining units, before engaging in "self serving" golf outing's and "Foundation creations!

Then again... maybe this Fundraiser Event will be used to reimburse those (Lucky / Savemart) Members who took a serious financial hit when Lind negotiated their $5.00 per hour cut in pay!
Quote:
If I was a "current" Dues Paying Member at UFCW Local 5, I sure would be asking some questions about Ron Lind's Working Families Foundation including the Golf Outing / Fundraiser Event.

SharynS
Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:39 pm

Quote:
Members who took a serious financial hit when Lind negotiated their $5.00 per hour cut in pay!
Anyone find out yet where IU president Hansen was "standing" when Lind screwed-over members when local 5 was cowed into submission by their retail partner(s)? Enquiring minds want to know.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:44 pm

John Briley wrote:
Why do Union President's feel the need to create A "Foundation" in their name? Who really benefits from this?
The old "Foundation scheme"! Lind has now learned from the masters of the foundations racket...The Loveall Clan!

One just has to follow the Local 8 LM2's and look at all the "members dues dollars" that pour into those foundations every year. Also do the research and see the family names connected to those foundations.

My guess is these foundations are a very clever way of funneling members dues dollars into the pockets of corrupt union leaders. You'd think the DOL & the DOJ would be wise to the fact and would be monitoring these foundations more closely?

Hello DOL! Can't be that hard to connect the dots can it?

Keep searching DOL I'm sure you'll find something if you probe deep enough!

That is if the DOL/DOJ truly wants to find something or are they just going through the motions making it appear they're doing their job? Big money does run deep!

Last edited by Laboryes on Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
SharynS
Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Quote:
...the foundations racket
Valid observation, where does the money raised go after such a (seemingly) charitable event? Does anyone outside of a trusted few know? Are there oversight or accounting processes in place that allow one to check it out before they give?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Quote:
As our UFCW Local Union Leaders throughout the U.S and Canada start returning to their respective Local Unions, we shall wait and see what "spin" said Leaders will put on this UFCW IU Per Capita Tax Increase and how they will pass on said increases to their respective memberships?

For President Lind and his entire Regime, with the most recent "colossal cluster mess" negotiating Concessionary / Stabilization Agreements, severe ongoing deficit spending at Local 5, including a third Local Union election looming in the horizon, I am really curious as to what Lind's position he is going to take and "if" Lind and his Regime will attempt to pass on another dues increase, including how much, to our Local 5 Members?

As we have dicussed here in the past, President Lind and his Regime have a terrible track record when it comes to using Local 5 Dues Paying Member's monies to spend on themselves!

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/20091018_ufcw5_fair_pension.pdf
Quote:
Based on recent information I received, it appears that President Lind and his Regime, at their recent Local 5 Executive Board Meeting (8-26-13?) will pass on the $3.00 Dues Increase to Local 5 Members in a creative way!

$2.00 now and the remaining $1.00 later!

WOW.. SUCH A DEAL!!!!!
It is extremely important to note that following Local 5's creation effective January 1, 2007, President Lind and his Regime received a substantial Dues Increase from Local 5 Members effective..

Quote:
Local 5 Dues Increase Effective January 1, 2009
http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/final-2.pdf
Once again the question remains "if" Local 5 members will give any "serious" push back to President Lind and his entire Regime for another DUES INCREASE following CONCESSIONARY CONTRACTS / STABILIZATION AGREEMENTS?

To be clear, here is a snap shot of President Lind and his Regime's spending at UFCW Local 5.
Quote:
Since the 2012 LM2 Report for Local 5 has been posted, we will begin there.

Here is the link for the DOL Website to obtain LM2 Reports.
http://kcerds.dol-esa.gov/query/getOrgQry.do

Local 5's LM2 File Number is 543-632

Please refer to Statement B. Receipts and Disbursements.

2012:
Total Receipts = $20,584,188
Total Disbursements = $21,305,333

2011:
Total Receipts = $22,321.843
Total Disbursements = $21,698,039

2010:
Total Receipts = $15,761,216
Total Disbursements = $16,539,546

2009:
Total Receipts = $16,074,124
Total Disbursements = $18,070,217

2008:
Total Receipts = $16,454,355
Total Disbursements = $16,110,376

2007:
Total Receipts = $25,655,910
Total Disbursements = $18,527,897

Note: this was the first LM2 Report for the seven (7) UFCW Bay Area Unions who Merged to create Local 5 effective 1-1-07.

Depending on which side-of-the-fence you are on, the LM2 Reports will give you a "snapshot" of the "Deficit Spending" President Lind / Local 5 have been encountering since the creation of Local 5 effective 1-1-07.

Local 5 Members must now decide whether or not......

Ron cleaned up the mess and returned the organization to financial stability.
Before one penny in additional Dues Money is passed on to ANY Local 5 Member, President Lind, Secretary Treasurer Tim Hamann, including each and every Local 5 paid staff person, should / must receive substantial permanent salary reductions!

In an effort to get the deficit spending in order, it is imperative that layoff's for the paid staff at Local 5 must be utlilized as an additional option!

Based on the pathetic Concessionary Contracts, including the permanent $5.00 per hour cut in pay for "some" of our SaveMart members, etc., Local 5 Members can not and must not continue to subidize the bad behavior / deficit spending from President Lind and his entire Regime!

BTW... for you Local 5 dues paying members, check out your current Local 5 Executive Board and investigate which Executive Board Members are currently "paid" Local 5 Staff!

Ask yourself who benefits from Dues Increases the most?

Paid Local 5 Staff...

or

Rank-n-file Members?

http://ufcw5.org/executive-board

John Briley
Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Quote:
UFCW Local 5 Executive Board Officers:

Ron Lind, President
Tim Hamann, Secretary-Treasurer
Kelly Martinez, Recorder

William Eldredge
Jack Landes (paid staff)
Debbie Taylor (***Replaced by Esai Alday / paid staff)
Leo Lee
Pamela Daniels (paid staff)
Tony Garcia
Mike Borstel (paid staff)
Ronald Lind (paid staff)
Lynda Parker
Tracy Lyness Thompson
Kelly Martinez (paid staff)
Pete Maturino (paid staff)
Daniel Collins
Jessie Montes
Pete Derenale (paid staff)
Carl Nakano (paid staff)
Della Garcia (paid staff)
Eddie Nodal
Rick Gomez
John Nunes (paid staff)
Terry Gonzales (paid staff)
Dennis Emmanuele, Sr.
John Ulrich (paid staff)
Bill Rosario
Tim Hamann (paid staff)
John Rossi (paid staff)
Dorothy Smith
Carmen Soto
Kenneth Thomas
Robert Siirila
Vicente Herrera
Frank Tallerico (staff)
Claudette Aldrich

It is my understanding with the exception of "only" three (3) Local 5 Executive Board Members in attendance at said meeting held on 8-26-13, they were the "only" individuals "opposed" to the Dues Increase at Local 5.

The rest of the Board voted to pass on said Dues Increase to the Members at Local 5.

Like I mentioned before, how many paid staff are voting on a Dues Increase again, which will continue to bring in revenue to pay their salaries!
John Briley
Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Quote:
Like I mentioned before, how many paid staff are voting on a Dues Increase again, which will continue to bring in revenue to pay their salaries!

Since we are discussing Dues Increases, how's this for a "DOUBLE STANDARD".....

Keeping in mind that the majority of paid staff at UFCW Local 5 (Reps & Clerical) are Member's of F.A.I.R.. Looks like when said individuals had the option to vote on their DUES INCREASE WITH F.A.I.R. they said HELL NO!!!!!

Quote:

PROPOSED DUES INCREASE NARROWLY DEFEATED.

http://www.yourfairunion.org/index.php/newsletter/36-newsletter/78-proposed-dues-increase-narrowly-defeated

The first proposed dues increase in 10 years was rejected by a close margin, only being defeated by 13 votes.

The increase would have continued to build FAIR’s treasury to pay for negotiating, organizing, and our rising legal fees.

FAIR retains the best attorneys to handle legal matters such as lawsuits and arbitrations.

This quality of representation is not inexpensive.

Additionally, we were looking to set up a strike and defense fund.

No officer increases were associated with the proposed dues increase.

http://www.yourfairunion.org/index.php

WAKE UP UFCW LOCAL 5 MEMBERS..... IT'S TIME TO TAKE BACK YOUR UNION!!!!! President Lind and his entire Regime continue to SCREW YOU!!!!!
John Briley
Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:33 pm

With the ongoing problems at Local 5, there’s a tendency on my part to start scrutinizing individuals in more detail when counting VOTES on Local 5’s Executive Board.

The following “raised a red flag” to me with respect to an individual who is a current Executive Board Member at Local 5. This all may be legitimate, however, at the very least, President Lind needs to provide the members at Local 5 with a detailed explanation as to what is the “rest of the story” here!

Case in point…..

I recently ran across the following document on the internet dated February 29, 2012 that identifies UFCW LOCAL 5 Executive Board member Frank Tallerico, as "allegedly" being Retired. (refer to above Local 5 executive board website link)
Quote:
"Retired Save Mart butcher Frank Tallerico said, “Since San Jose passed the plastic bag ban we thought it would be a nice gesture to give our customers reusable bags so they’re not surprised at the check stand. We also thought it would be a good idea to let them know about our negotiations and ask them to help us continue to provide for our families and keep them healthy.”

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120229006870/en/Grocery-Workers-Launch-Pledge-Campaign-Gather-Customer
Based on Mr. Tallerico's "alleged" Retirement, I am wondering what exactly are the details between current Executive Board Member Frank Tallerico and his employment / executive board relationship with UFCW Local 5?
Quote:
Dol query http://kcerds.dol-esa.gov/query/getOrgQry.do

LOCAL 5 /LM2 File #543-632

Mr.Tallerico's 2012 LM 2 Info:

Tallerico, Frank

EBoard and Staff

C $800 $0 $159 $0 $959
What exactly are Mr. Tallerico's duties at Local 5?

What is Mr. Tallerico's compensation / benefit package at Local 5?

Does Mr. Tallerico belong to F.A.I.R.?

How many hours does Mr. Tallerico work daily, weekly, monthly at Local 5?

Does Mr. Tallerico pay dues to Local 5?
If so, how much.
If not, why not?

If Mr. Tallerico is Retired, is he currently receiving a Pension check from the Trust Fund?

Due to the fact that Mr. Tallerico is listed on Local 5’s LM2 Report as being (EB / Staff), is he and Local 5 complying with the Trust Fund Requirement as outlined below.

Quote:
UFCW No. Ca. Employers Joint Pension Plan
Summary Plan Description 2010 (page 30)

SUSPENSION OF BENEFITS AFTER YOUR PENSION PAYMENTS BEGIN:

Once you retire, the Pension Plan places restrictions on the number of hours you can work in the same industry and in the same trade or craft in the same geographic area covered by the Plan while continuing to collect retirement benefits. Such work is defined as “SUSPENDIBLE SERVICE”, if you work more than 63 hours per calendar month.
You may work as vacation relief up to 756 hours in a calendar year, provided you notify the Administrative Office in writing in advance of the date you begin such employment.

Once a year you will be required to disclose all post retirement employment. Your pension payments may cease until your response has been received by the Administrative Office.

For additional information about restrictions on your employment after retirement, please contact the Administrative Office.

If you work in Suspendible Service your pension payment will be suspended for each month you work in excess of 63 hours per month. Your benefit will resume when you are no longer employed more than 63 hours per month.

Once you reach age 70, your retirement benefits will not be suspended, no matter how many hours you work. If your benfits are suspended before you reach age 70, they will no longer be suspended beginning the first day of the month after the month in which you reach age 70.
Hell ...... If the above is correct, I wonder if President Lind would consider this Local 5 Retiree and or any Local 5 Retiree to fill any / all vacated Local 5 Executive Board Seats in the future?

Sounds like it could be a pretty good GIG to ME!

SharynS
Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:16 pm

I used to think that the opportunity to retire from retail and hire on with the union was a good thing, fair. That advantaging hands on people could only make the organization stronger. And I still would if union still stood for union. Or if people pulled from the ranks had the scruples one would expect of a union rep.

Unfortunately my view changed not long into my UFCW retail experience, when it became abundantly clear that being hired on with UFCW had nothing to do with work ethics or scruples, but everything to do with favourtism, rubberstampism and in many cases nepotism.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:07 pm

John Briley wrote:
Quote:
General Membership Meeting Calendar Update.
Posted August 23, 2013

Changes have been made to the membership meetings effective immediately.

All general membership meetings will be held quarterly on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 7pm.

Locations and the dates of these meetings are listed on the image below. Please be sure to make changes to your calendar to attend the quarterly meetings most convenient to you.

If you have any questions, please contact the communication department at 408.998.0428.

http://ufcw5.org/membership-meeting-calendar
Case in point in former Local 839's area, Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties, Lind has scheduled only one (1) meeting at 7PM in Castroville.

Members must now commute from Santa Cruz to Castroville.

Members must now commute from Salinas to Castroville.

Members must commute from the Monterey Peninsula to Castroville to attend one (1) meeting at 7PM.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN and President Lind and his Regime know it!!!!!
Welcome to Local 8 land Local 5 members!

This is all by design IMO. The foundation is all being laid for Local 5 to be gobbled up by Local 8!

Meet your future local president Local 5 members

With the DOL/DOJ investigation into Local 5's mishandling of union elections the international is not going to take anymore chances of Local 5 rank n file members being seated on the E-Board.

IMO opinion this is all preparation for "another UFCW mega merger" giving Local 5 to Loveall as Ron Lind is promised a fat salary for selling his local off to Loveall and making the Loveall dream come true.

I can feel it sisters & brothers! Another...

UFCW Mega Merger Mania will be upon us soon!

Won't be long before Local 5 members in Salinas and the rest of the Bay Area wanting to attend a "union meeting" will have to drive to South Sacramento to catch a meeting.

Just my gut feeling anyway.

What will be interesting to see is if my gut feelings are right what will happen to all those "paid staffers" of Local 5 that Loveall neither likes nor has any use for?

Thoughts anyone?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:10 am

To get local 101, lind had to buy it from mike borstel and his bromance buddy, john ulrich (thus the granted titles of assistant to the president-borstel and asstistant to the secretary treasurer-ulrich. Who is this guy ulrich and what does he do to earn the 133 plus K that he is his salary? Once on board at 5, those two, borstel and ulrich, started plotting to overthrow lind. That's what they do best. That's how they got where they are now--plotting against and undermining. I have been told, borstel has a 101 coalition. Not anything the international views positively (decent on the eboard). While that drama is unfolding, the membership has put some members on the eboard. The international views that as complete disaster. No way can the membership have any influence at a union level.
I have been told borstel wants to run against lind. Man, when you think it couldn't get any worse. What a choice, lind or borstel. What a shame and what a crime for the members.
lind would definitely be on board with a merger, but the election pending will prevent that from happening.
What a mess local 5 is and what a disgrace ufcw has completely become.
And, yes, local 5 is destined to merge with 8, if the international can maneuver a way.

Page 3 of 21
page: prev  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  next
Jump to: