Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow Raley's/Nob Hill Strike 2012

Raley's/Nob Hill Strike 2012

page: 1, 2  next
Scott Schroeder
Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to the Raley's/Nob Hill strike where people could post pics, videos, articles, whatever.

It would be great to see & hear the different tactics picketers are using on their lines. This could be a reference thread where Raleys/Nob Hill workers could come to get ideas on how to make their lines stronger and how to put more pressure on Raleys corporate.

Below is a flyer being passed out on the Raleys/Nob Hill lines helping educate workers on how to run a more "militant" picket line.

Militant Picket Flyer

Also here is a flyer being used to hand out to the "scabs".

Scab Flyer

Here are some photo's of the first day of the Raley's strike in Placerville, Ca. My two fury trouble-makers all signed up ready to kick some Raley's ass!

Placerville Raley's Picket Line

Here's a video of our sisters & brothers from Local 5 in Watsonville, Ca holding the line at Nob Hill.

Watsonville Nob Hill Picket Line

Lets use this thread for a support place and education tool for any Raley's and Nob Hill worker who may want to reference it.

Everyone please post any useful information that may help our sisters & brothers on the picket lines! Also Raleys & Nob Hill workers please share your videos,pics & stories from the picket line.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Quote:
This is a short report back from the Picket lines outside of Raley's:
Eye Witnesses&Employes of Raley's shopping centers said that the Ceo stopped by the local stores in the Sacramento,California region for a visit,The Visit was to harass and yell insulting remarks at those who where on strike and on the picket line.The Ceo was yelling Insults like calling striking workers Losers&Lazy etc.The Ceo drove a car worth over 100 grand and went around insulting those who work for the company.Keep in mind that most of the workers here make Min wage or just slightly above,This behavior by this Ceo should not be tolerated and only shows the somewhat childish nature of this person.Another striking employee informed me that sales at the store on Freeport where down 40% due to people not shopping at the store etc.The picket line Held from 6am til 8pm and they will continue to strike until the issue of Health care is addressed.The Local community for the most part seemly Honored the picket line and a few local "Former" shoppers came out to show support and Solidarity to those striking employes.Please if you have a local store and you see a picket line,Honor the line and come out to show support to those who are in the line and fighting for their rights and for the rights of the Retires..

Ceo drives by in His High priced car to Harass workers on strike.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:19 am

Quote:
The United Food and Commercial Workers Local 5 posted a message on its website announcing that the rally would take place from 5 to 7 p.m. at the corner of Clement and Blanding Avenues. However, a flyer also posted on the website said the rally will occur on Broadway and Blanding. Both corners are nearby the 2531 Blanding Ave. store location.

Nob Hill Workers to Rally Tonight in Alameda

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:35 am

Protesters at the loading docks at Nob Hill Foods in Alameda, Ca

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:13 am

Quote:
Things are starting to get a little tense after a communications director for the United Food and Commercial Workers union was arrested at the Nob Hill grocery store in Alameda. There was a dispute over an employee's paycheck so he went in the store to help resolve it and ended up getting arrested.

Strike gets heated at Alameda Nob Hill

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:04 am

Quote:
I have been on a couple of picket lines that last few days and it appears the Union leadership's strategy and tactics have not changed. The picketers have been instructed not to impede scabs, either shoppers or scabbing co-workers. The strikers must be polite and not engage or "harass" them I was told.

The workers are actually on strike in the sense that they are not at work but there is no real effort on the part of the Union leadership or the local Labor movement to shut down these operations. I am not familiar with all the details but from what I gathered talking to workers the issues are wages and benefits as usual. The bosses are determined to lower wages further and eliminate benefits altogether over time.

UFCW Local 5 strikes Nob Hill and Raleys

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Back to top profile :: pm
Scott Schroeder
Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:07 pm

For some of you Raley’s/Nob Hill strikers who are listening to your store managers on how you can run your picket line just remember one thing, if they control you on the picket line they control your strike and you will lose! Your fight and loss of wages will have been for nothing.

Below are a few examples (videos) of what your picket lines should look like. Remember this is your strike, not Raley’s, not Ron Lind or Jacques Loveall’s. This is your strike! Be creative! Have fun! Don’t let your greedy employer control you on “your” picket line.

Nob Hill picket line

Nob Hill Strike 1

Nob Hill Strike 2

And if your not sure about getting "out of the box" on your picket line refer to the following article...

UFCW Local 5 Strike Nob Hill and Raleys

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Quote:
Strikers say the company has more than enough profit to keep benefits as they stand. They've been handing out fliers with a photo of the Teel Family yacht, "The Ozark Lady," taken at Bay Ship in Alameda; Colosi says the yacht costs the family millions with maintenance.

Is Raley's Going the Way of Walmart?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:25 am

From the Sacramento Labor Council

Quote:
THREE DAYS FOR JUSTICE

Started: TODAY, Friday, November 9th at 9 AM

Ends: Sunday, November 11th at 8 PM

Please adopt a picket line at a Raley’s store near you: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=raley%27s&hl=en&sll=38.389033,-121.330261&sspn=1.123757,2.469177&t=m&hq=raley%27s&z=9

Priority Locations

Madison & Hazel
Fair Oaks & Walnut
Watt & Marconi
Folsom Blvd (Between Watt & Howe)

Raley’s has declared war on its workers.

This multi‐billion dollar, family‐owned, Sacramento company has brought a union‐busting, public‐employee hating outsider in house to destroy the lives of the members of the UFCW.

These members stand to lose their retirement security, medical care, and retiree health care.

This is also an unfair labor practices strike. Raley’s has no regard for the National Labor Relations Act. They have used intimidation, coercion, restraint, and harassment against their own employees. They have also asked them to withdraw from the UFCW.

Please post your support for the workers of Raley’s on your social media. We are already going viral.

Labor must stand together with UFCW to end this mistreatment now.

This promises to be a prolonged strike. If you, your family, friends, or neighbors have a prescription at Raley’s, please transfer it to a fair‐minded union pharmacy such as Safeway, Save Mart, or Rite Aid.

Please join our brothers and sisters at Raley’s on the picket line today. With your help, we will end this war on the members of UFCW!

ALL-FAITH SERVICE IN SUPPORT OF RALEY’S WORKERS
(With Labor Legend Dolores Huerta)

TONIGHT, Friday, November 9th at 8 PM

St. Marks United Methodist Church
2391 St. Marks Way (Near Watt & El Camino), Sacramento

Join the faith community and Labor Legend Dolores Huerta TONIGHT at St. Marks for an all-faith service in support of striking Raley’s workers.

If you have any questions about these activities, please contact Zak Ford at the Sacramento Central Labor Council: 916-927‐9772 , ext. 229 or zak@sacramentolabor.org.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:40 am

Attention all Raley’s/Nob Hill Workers:

I’ve been spending much time on the picket line in my home town of Placerville and at some Nob Hill stores in the Bay Area and the big question I keep hearing from many of you is… “where is our union”? Where is the support UFCW I.U. President Joe Hansen promised?

My sisters & brothers this is a very valid question!

My suggestion is for each and everyone of you concerned with the out come of this strike is to personally contact President Hansen in Washington DC and demand answers to your questions! Your dues dollars paid to the International Union every year at least affords you the opportunity to contact Hansen and make your voice heard and demand answers to your questions.

Below is all the contact info for the I.U. and President Hansen:

http://www.ufcw.org/about/ufcw-leaders/

UFCW I.U.
1775 K STREET, NW
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20006-1598
1-202-223-3111 (main office)
1-202-466-1562 (fax)

jhansen@ufcw.org

These are the email addresses to "your" Executive Board Members for the UFCW International Union. Make sure any email sent to Hansen you ‘cc” your E-Board members as well.

Anthony M. Perrone

mperrone@ufcw.org

William T. McDonough

wmcdonough@ufcw.org

Patrick J. O’Neill

poneill@ufcw.org

Make your voices heard Raleys/Nob Hill workers!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:42 pm

Strike News Update Raley's comes back to the negotiations table- source- http://www.supportgroceryworkers.com/

Message from UFCW Local 5 President Ron Lind
November 11, 2012 9:45am–

This is Local 5 president Ron Lind. Raley’s chief negotiator has contacted me and Local 8 president Jacques Loveall with a request that we resume negotiations. We have agreed to the company’s request and discussions are now underway.

It is abundantly clear to us that Raley’s desire to return to the bargaining table has been driven by the overwhelming success of our picket lines. While we are hopeful that this turn of events will lead to a settlement, this is not the time to diminish our efforts. Raley’s negotiators are getting regular reports from the stores and their willingness to reach agreement will be tied to your ongoing solidarity and action and the continued silence of their cash registers.

Don’t let up and don’t allow managers or security guards to tell you how to conduct your picket line. Reinforcements from Southern California have arrived. Community support is building. Strike benefit checks are being processed. More workers are leaving the stores and joining the picket lines. We are winning this strike. Check the web site or hotline regularly for further updates.

Ron Lind

-I've talked to veteran strikers and they say "they will be surprised if they agree to anything the first time they meet again after a strike." "It's another tactic to smash moral at the picket line". "They come back to the table thinking they will have a agreement but that don't agree on anything to lower strikers moral even more and worry them this will drag on forever." The vets say "the next time they come back to the table (during a strike) they will be serious about a agreement." They go on to say "Raleys is not a big enough company to last through the holidays, maybe they can last through Thanksgiving, but they cannot last though a strike till Christmas."

The Unforgiven
Outlawtorn
One
Minus Human
No leaf clover
Sanitarium
mAgIc mAn
G-Man
The Kancer Man
THE DOPE SHOW
Inside Lurker
Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:14 am

IL Duce wrote:

Ron Lind

-I've talked to veteran strikers and they say "they will be surprised if they agree to anything the first time they meet again after a strike." "It's another tactic to smash moral at the picket line". "They come back to the table thinking they will have a agreement but that don't agree on anything to lower strikers moral even more and worry them this will drag on forever." The vets say "the next time they come back to the table (during a strike) they will be serious about a agreement." They go on to say "Raleys is not a big enough company to last through the holidays, maybe they can last through Thanksgiving, but they cannot last though a strike till Christmas."

No shit Dick Tracy Rolling Eyes Lind your a F#*king rocket scientist!

I believe many here have been saying that for over a year now, but now it's the gospel because it's coming out of Lind's mouth?

Quote:
Don’t let up and don’t allow managers or security guards to tell you how to conduct your picket line.

Think I've read that here at uncharted too. Might have been useful to tell that to the Raleys & Nob Hill workers when the strike first started instead of the tired old ufcw strike strategy of being nice and not angering the business partners to much.

Kind of humorous what comes out of Lind's mouth when there's something of his at risk.

Or when he's being publicly humiliated at one of his labor photo ops by some of his own members. Laughing
SharynS
Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Quote:
Illegal Spying by Security Guards

The reverse of this flier has a copy of a letter from the union’s attorney to the security guards and their company about the illegal harassment and spying they are engaging in. If guard hassles you or tries to listen in on your conversations serve them with a copy of this letter. They will be put on notice and subject to further action if they continue.
Dear Security

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 am

If they really want to kick some ass they should add Bel Air to the strike boycott. Hope they are giving the NEOCON negotiator that message.

Never thought they would come crawling back to the table so soon. Gives me a good feeling that the strike is still an effective tool if they can pull this on off.

Page 1 of 2
page: 1, 2  next
Jump to: