Home arrow Forums arrow News & Views arrow UFCW ... Pledge This!!!

UFCW ... Pledge This!!!

page: 1, 2  next
SharynS
Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:14 am

by John Briley.

As I follow the 2011 UFCW Southern CA Food Negotiations between UFCW Local's 8, 135, 324, 770, 1167, 1428 & 1442 and Ralph's (Kroger), Albertsons (Super-Valu) and Von's (Safeway) I couldn't help to be amused at the recent UFCW pledge mania posted on Local 770's website in it's May 10 Contract update.

Specifically: The Pledge.

As the former President at UFCW Local 839 for over 17 years, I am dumbfounded as to the strategy being pursued by the Southern Ca. UFCW Leadership on behalf of their 60,000 members with respect to these negotiations.

With Northern California UFCW Food Contracts expiring on October 8, 2011, especially with the common problems shared by the North & South pertaining to the serious funding issues within our H&W/Pension Plans, etc., including improving and protecting our Retiree H&W Benefits. I would have hoped that our UFCW Local and I.U. Leadership would have utilized the relatively close contract expiration dates between the North & South in a more creative and beneficial manner on behalf of our Active and Retiree members.

It appears now that our UFCW Local Union and I.U. Leadership do not want to slow the Southern California Negotiations down and or wait for Northern California Contacts to expire so as to have a tremendous advantage over the various Employer's including the possibility, if necessary, to shut down the State of California to achieve our objectives and goals on behalf of our UFCW Members!

Since we do not have a crystal ball as to what this contract will look like and or what any other UFCW Contracts are going to look like in the near future, the time has come for the UFCW Local Union/International Union Leadership to immediately start to provide monetary relief to our UFCW Members within the U.S. and Canada who can no longer continue and or afford to subsidize the UFCW Cash Cow Machine any longer!

Specifically: UFCW ... Pledge This!!!

Quote:
UFCW Members and Retirees call on our UFCW Local and International Union Leadership to fulfill their commitment and obligation to stave off cuts to our Active Member Wages and H&W/Pension Benefits, including improving/protecting Retiree H&W Benefits.

UFCW leadership have 24 hours to sign the pledge to defend the living standard of it's Members and Retirees.

On May 10th, 2011, UFCW issued a communication to it's Members and Retirees pledging that the UFCW "is fighting for you at the bargaining table, working to protect your wages, hours, retirement, and benefits" and that UFCW "cannot and will not stand for" any wage and benefit cuts as sought by it's Employers.

To us, that sounds like the Leadership is pledging solidarity with it's Membership and Retirees.

While Members and Retirees are fighting to keep their standard of living above the poverty line, we believe UFCW Leadership should put their money where their mouth is and sign a pledge of solidarity.

Anything less than that would call UFCW Leadership out as labor fakers, trying to mislead you into trusting them while they seek only to maintain their record high salaries and perks.

We are calling on the UFCW Leadership to sign the following pledge to, at a minimum, take equal lumps, hits and/or claw-backs along with it's Membership and Retirees.

Refusing to sign this pledge of solidarity is a tacit admission UFCW leadership is lying to you about UFCW's commitment, and are seeking only to retain their positions at your expense.

Ask your Local Union/International Leadership today if they will sign this pledge.

Pledge to UFCW Members and Retirees throughout the USA and Canada:

1. Any and all Contract Concessions, including any Retiree claw-backs and/or additional H&W co-pay premiums will automatically trigger an immediate reduction in UFCW members' weekly/monthly dues structure and initiation fees within their respective Local Union.

2. Any and all Contract Concessions, including any Retiree claw-backs and/or additional H&W co-pay premiums will automatically trigger an immediate reduction in Leadership and Union Reps salaries within the respective Local Union and I.U. staff.

3. Additionally, any and all Contract Concessions, including any Retiree claw-backs and/or additional H&W co-pay premiums will trigger an immediate reduction in the monthly Per Capita tax required to be paid by the Local Union to the I.U.

As indicated in UFCW Local and International communications, articles and speeches, UFCW Leadership pledge to, at a minimum, stand in full solidarity with UFCW Members and UFCW Retirees.
Read the rest

Download and print Pledge here and ask all YOUR Union Leaders to sign it!

Last edited by SharynS on Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top profile :: pm :: e-mail :: www
hawk
Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:32 am

Your pledge is a far too hard on the honourable, almost saintly and hard working UFCW staff. I propose the following minor amendments:

1. Any and all Contract Concessions, including any Retiree claw-backs and/or additional H&W co-pay premiums will keep your wages higher than the lowest paid retail workers in Bangladesh.

2. Any and all Contract Concessions, including any Retiree claw-backs and/or additional H&W co-pay premiums will automatically trigger an immediate increase in Leadership and Union Reps salaries within the respective Local Union and I.U. staff. (After all we only agreed to this to save your jobs so we deserve to a reward.)

3. Additionally, any and all Contract Concessions, including any Retiree claw-backs and/or additional H&W co-pay premiums (that are lower than what the average Chinese worker receives) will trigger an immediate reduction in the monthly Per Capita tax required to be paid by the Local Union to the I.U.

We the UFCW leadership is dedicated to keeping American grocery store jobs in America and Canada and preventing them from being shipped overseas.

After all, would our members thank us if our stores closed and American shoppers took 15-hour airplane shopping trips each way to Shanghai to buy their weekly groceries?

We try our best but there are some ungrateful members who will refuse to appreciate how hard we,as good patriots, try to keep low paid jobs in America.

That is why us UFCW leadership take such relief in the fact that we are protected by the Patriot Act and our fellow practical and generous friends in the business community.

Last edited by hawk on Sat May 28, 2011 3:38 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top profile :: pm
Inside Lurker
Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:35 am

SharynS wrote:

Download and print Pledge here and ask all YOUR Union Leaders to sign it!

1) First and most important UFCW members must send pledge [by certified mail] to UFCW's International President Joe Hansen. His mailing address is as follows:

Mr. Joseph T. Hansen, President
United Food & Commercial Workers
1775 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006

2) Secondly send a copy [certified mail] to your local UFCW President.

3) Third print and keep a copy with you at your work place and if you see your UFCW rep shove in her/his face and ask them to sign the pledge.

4) Give this pledge wings and send out to every UFCW member in your email list.

Great piece JB! Thank you.
SharynS
Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Too funny hawk, it's like you can read their minds.

Whomever, whenever and wherever - keep the Pledge rolling folks. Unlike hawk I have faith that ufcw leaders everywhere will have no problem signing on - one for all and all for one eh.

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:28 pm

I was there; I can read their minds.

I was an activist with the UAW for ten years. I took two trips to California to help the UFW organize farm workers.

I have been to the conventions where the International Reps main job was to insure that all their delegates voted the proper way.

The big difference between then and now, was we did negotiate higher wages and improved benefits. What I see now is a big movement backwards.

Ask your reps to sign the pledge. (With my amendments or not) Why not? You can also ask them to sign a Pledge of Allegiance, a pledge to stop drinking, taking drugs or to stop beating their wives.

When the day comes for a ratification vote, the reps will say:
Quote:
"Take this offer or you will out on strike for a year and get even less. Maybe scabs will steal your jobs and then your families will STARVE.

But don't you worry; once the economy improves we will get all the take-a-ways back plus more"

In a short time we will see how accurate I can predict the future.
SharynS
Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Quote:
"Take this offer or you will out on strike for a year and get even less. Maybe scabs will steal your jobs and then your families will STARVE.
It's slightly different in BC hawk. UFCW reps never mess around at ratification time and get the meeting right down to business: "ratify or the employer will close stores!" Saves time, money and asses. Theirs.

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:41 am

Quote:
...get the meeting right down to business: "ratify or the employer will close stores!" Saves time, money and asses. Theirs.
SharynS

I guess people now have short attention spans so it pays to speak loud, clear and with short sentences.

I guess you envy me getting the full treatment from the UAW rep in the good old days.
SharynS
Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:34 am

Mr. Green

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 am

Grocery Stores, Unions Continue To Negotiate
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/may/25/grocery-stores-union-continue-negotiate/

San Diego Union Tribune
May 25, 2011
By Penni Crabtree

As I review the seven (7) UFCW Local Union websites, Local 770's May 26, 2011 update caught my attention.

The following update was taken directly from Local 770's website:

Quote:
Food Negotiations Update - Hotline: (800) 207-5579 Due to high volume, please call back if busy.

May 26, 2011

Grocery Workers Need Your Support!

Join grocery workers and their families to keep good jobs in our communities and to save our wages, benefits and pension. Help us talk to consumers and leaflet tomorrow, Friday, May 27th from 4-7pm at the following locations:

Vons #2678 - 6040 Telegraph Rd., Ventura 93003 | Map
Ralphs #87 - 1050 N. Western Ave., San Pedro 90732 | Map
Albertsons #6131 - 3901 Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles 90008 | Map
Ralphs #95 - 2230 S. Atlantic Blvd., Monterey Park 91754 | Map
Ralphs #22 - 645 W. 9th St., Los Angeles 90015 | Map
Ralphs #32 - 3410 W. 3rd St., Los Angeles 90020 | Map
Ralphs #96 - 160 N. Lake Ave., Pasadena 91101 | Map
Albertsons #6393 - 1268 Madera Rd., Simi Valley 93065 | Map
Vons #2436 - 2101 N. Rose Ave., Oxnard 93030 | Map
Vons #2560 - 1758 Grand Ave., Grover Beach 93433 | Map
Ralphs #81 - 21909 Ventura Blvd., Woodland Hills 91364 | Map
Vons #2691 - 175 N. Fairview Ave., Goleta 93117 | Map
Ralphs #727 - 25930 Mcbean Pkwy., Valencia 91355 | Map
Vons #2139 - 1390 N. Allen Ave., Pasadena 91104 | Map
Vons #2250 - 16830 San Fernando Mission Blvd., Granada Hills 91344 | Map
Ralphs #274 - 1730 W. Manchester Ave., Los Angeles 90047 | Map
Vons #2655 - 7311 N. Figueroa St., Los Angeles 90041 | Map
Albertsons #6322 - 43543 20th Street W., Lancaster 93534 | Map
Albertsons #6304 - 1132 W. Branch St., Arroyo Grande 93420 | Map
Ralphs #133 - 10901 Ventura Blvd., Studio City 91604 | Map
Ralphs #648 - 2600 W. Victory Blvd., Burbank 91505 | Map
Pavillions #2739 - 8969 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood 90069 | Map

It appears that Local 770 was reaching out to their members / friends to talk to consumers and leaflet the above mentioned stores on Friday, May 27, 2011.

Kudos to Local 770 for being pro-active!

Since I have not heard how successful that event was, I have a question concerning the other six (6) UFCW Local Unions who are involved in these negotiations.

What did UFCW Local's 8, 135, 324, 1167, 1428 & 1442 do with respect to talking to consumers and passing out leaflets at their affected stores within their respective jurisdictions on or about Friday, May 27, 2011?

More importantly, what is the UFCW International Union doing or planning to do, to apply pressure to these various Employer's throughout the U.S. and Canada.

By way of an example here in Northern California, Safeway is one of our largest Employer's. Why are we not talking to consumers and passing out leaflets in front of our Safeway Stores?

Additionally, Foodsco (Krogers) has stores here in Northern California. Why are we not talking to consumers and passing out leaflets in front of our Foodsco Stores?

Clearly it appears that once again, our UFCW Local Union Leaders / UFCW International Union Leaders do not get it!

We can not fight these Employer's successfully within a specifc region, ie. So. Cal. These Employer's must be hammered on a daily basis at every store they own throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Anything less.... and the UFCW Local Union Leadership / International Leadership will wind up goosing ghosts!
SharynS
Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:25 am

So exactly how much member support and/or turnout did ufcw local 770 expect by posting the notice one day prior to it's big leaf-letting campaign? The notice was posted on May 26th for leaf-letting to take place May 27th?

That may answer your question about how successful it was JB. And I think Local 770's extremely short notice and the rest of ufcw's no notice whatsoever answers the rest. Rolling Eyes

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:02 am

One day of notice? On the Internet?

Most people take a couple days to get around to reading their private e-mail let alone read a union website.

Has anyone seen one of the leaflets? Was there any local news coverage of the event? Did any of the store employees notice anything out of the usual that evening? Anything at all?

Perhaps the stores had their daily specials printed on the back of the leaflets. That would show that organized labour and the employers can work together in solidarity and the stores could have paid half the printing costs.

Best of all, the stores stayed open so the dues money kept rolling in.
Laboryes
Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:21 am

SharynS wrote:

That may answer your question about how successful it was JB. And I think Local 770's extremely short notice and the rest of ufcw's no notice whatsoever answers the rest. Rolling Eyes

Bingo Sharyn! Right on target with this comment/question.

The UFCW doesn’t really want to be “successful” they just want to “appear” to be doing something pro-active. We must remember these employers are the UFCW’s business partners!

Wouldn’t want to rock the boat with their golf buddies! Then who would the UFCW play golf with? Their “pauper” members? Way beneath UFCW’s elite to spend any quality time with the dues paying peasants.

The short notice was all in the master plan to keep attendance low! UFCW 770 appeared to be doing something pro-active to defend their members but when member attendance is low and the public is uneducated about their fight and the members get a bad deal rammed up their ass 770's elite will blame the members for not getting involved! Thus...clearing their hands of any responsibility for the disastrous contract headed members way!

As long as the dues cash cow is preserved (top priorities you know) all will be well in the UFCW kingdom.

John Briley
Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:45 pm

Suggested Picket Sign / Flyer Language, for UFCW Active / Retiree Members to use while demonstrating in front of their Local Union Offices. (UFCW Local #8, #135, #324, #770, #1167, #1428 & #1442):

Quote:

1. Any and all Contract Concessions, including any Retiree claw-backs and/or additional H&W co-pay premiums will automatically trigger an immediate reduction in UFCW members' weekly/monthly dues structure and initiation fees within their respective Local Union.

2. Any and all Contract Concessions, including any Retiree claw-backs and/or additional H&W co-pay premiums will automatically trigger an immediate reduction in Leadership and Union Reps salaries within the respective Local Union and I.U. staff.

3. Additionally, any and all Contract Concessions, including any Retiree claw-backs and/or additional H&W co-pay premiums will trigger an immediate reduction in the monthly Per Capita tax required to be paid by the Local Union to the I.U.

As indicated in UFCW Local and International communications, articles and speeches, UFCW Leadership pledge to, at a minimum, stand in full solidarity with UFCW Members and UFCW Retirees.

With the "final deal" soon to be unveiled in So. Ca., I would strongly suggest to each and every UFCW Food Member (Active / Retiree) to get prepared to start picketing their UFCW Local Union Offices.

To the extent that there "may" be any Concessions and or Retiree Claw-Backs in the "new deal", I would suggest that each and every UFCW Member (Active / Retiree) demand from their Local Union / I.U. Leadership to comply with and implement the above referenced Points 1-3.

Keep in mind, that all of the above outlined in Points 1-3, are in complete and total control of the UFCW I.U. / Local Union Leadership!

No Federal Mediator, No Food Employer(s) etc.... would be required & or involved to make those adjustments. Depending on how serious of a hit the Members / Retirees take as a result of the "final deal" in So. Ca., one thing is for certain!

The UFCW I.U. and the respective Local Union Leadership could and should comply and implement Points 1-3 outlined above immediately!

It would be the right thing to do!!!

With respect to UFCW (Active / Retiree) Members in Northern Ca., I would suggest for you to monitor what takes place in Southern Ca. and educate yourself on the "final deal" resulting from the UFCW So. Ca. Food Negotiations.
John Briley
Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:12 pm

While we wait for UFCW Local’s #8, #135, #324, #770, #1167, #1428 and #1442 prepare for their upcoming Strike Vote Meetings scheduled for August 19 & 20, 2011.......

Quote:
SuperMarket News Article dated August 9, 2011.

http://supermarketnews.com/retail_financial/ufcw_deadline_0809/

LOS ANGELES — The United Food and Commercial Workers Union here said Tuesday it has informed its members and the employers that it plans to put to a vote whatever offer is on the table on Aug. 17.

I thought we should re-visit the following:

Quote:

To follow up on the Pledge above, let us examine the seven (7) UFCW Local Union (#8, #135, #324, #770, #1167, #1428, #1442) Leader(s) Salaries who comprise the UFCW So. Ca. Bargaining Committee for these 2011 Food Negotiations, including our UFCW International V.P. and Regional Director Warren Shaun Barclay.

Quote:
Here is the DOL LM2 Website Link, including the DOL LM2 File Numbers for the following UFCW Local Unions including “former” UFCW Local(s) #1288 & #1036 who recently merged with Local #8 & #770.

Our UFCW International Union is also included.

DOL LM2 Website Link:
http://kcerds.dol-esa.gov/query/getOrgQry.do

1. Local 8 - File # 043-536
Local #1288 - File # 036-750
Local #1036 – File # 007-779

2. Local 135 – File # 517-319

3. Local 324 – File # 022-620

4. Local 770 – File # 517-385
Local #1036 – File # 007-779

5. Local 1167 – File # 041-697

6. Local 1428 – File # 028-808

7. Local 1442 – File # 039-918

8. UFCW International Union – File # 000-056

To provide you with an overview as to everyone’s salary structure, I will use our UFCW Leaders LM2 Reports from 2010. I would also urge you to take the time and review how much their salary, including each respective Local Union(s) salaries for their Union Representatives have increased since the 2003-2004 Strike in Southern California.

Not to mention the “unknown factor” as to what exactly our Local Union Leaders / Union Representatives receive from any / all “Misc. Benefit Packages / Perks. Etc.”, currently being offered within each Local Union over the past 7 years??

Take those salary increases and compare them to the compensation and benefit packages received by our Southern California UFCW Members (Actives / Retirees) over the past 7 years!

Note: Since I do not know the specific policy as it pertains to each individual’s expenses, allowances, etc., I will be using their “total amount” of monies listed on each of their LM2 Report.

Please refer to each individual’s respective yearly LM2 report for their “detailed amount” of allowances, disbursements, etc.

I apologize in advance for any inadvertent errors or omissions and the applicable LM2 Report for each individual shall govern

Additionally, to once again remind everyone about the $20,000.00 stipend provided to our UFCW I.U. V.P.’s, here is some additional information pertaining to that subject.

U.F.C.W. I.U.’s $20K V.P. Club
http://forums.uncharted.ca/viewtopic.php?p=21160&highlight=#21160

Quote:
2010 LM2 Report

UFCW Local 8
Pres. Jacques Loveall - $291,592.00 plus ($20K V.P.)

UFCW Local 135
Pres. Michael Kasparian - $169,831.00 ($4,677.00 V.P.)

UFCW Local 324
Pres. Greg Conger - $268,813.00 plus ($20K V.P.)

UFCW Local 770
Pres. Ricardo Icaza - $293,564.00 plus $20K V.P.)

UFCW Local 1167
Pres. Bill Lathrip - $143,840.00

UFCW Local 1428
Pres. Connie Leyva - $125,851.00 plus ($20K V.P. Club)

UFCW Local 1442
Pres. Michael Straeter $ 209,966.00

UFCW I.U. / V.P. & Regional Director
Warren Shaun Barclay $269,343.00

With respect to our UFCW Southern California Leaders, I would be remiss for not providing you with the following information regarding Rodney Diamond, the “former” Secretary Treasurer at UFCW Local 770.

Over the past 7 years while our Southern California Members (Actives / Retirees) have been trying to survive, Mr. Diamond has been rolling in the $$$$$$$$$.

UFCW Diamond’s Are Forever……..
http://forums.uncharted.ca/viewtopic.php?p=21433&highlight=#21433

Based on some of the obscene salaries, etc. being received by some of our UFCW I.U. / Local Union Leaders, do those individuals really have the ability to feel and or truly understand or care what our Members (Actives / Retirees) are going thru on a daily basis?
SharynS
Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:21 am

Quote:
I thought we should re-visit the following:
Good idea! Also for good measure, the Pledge is now an easy to find sticky.

Page 1 of 2
page: 1, 2  next
Jump to: