Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow March 2011

March 2011

page: prev  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  next
John Briley
Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:40 am

Quote:
Southern California UFCW Food Negotiations

Four Facts About Contract Negotiations

As you read these words, we are making our final preparations before negotiations begin with Albertsons, Ralphs and Vons. The contract that results from these talks will determine our members wages, pensions and working conditions for years into the future.

No one can predict how these bargaining sessions will turn out, but I can tell you four things with confidence:

1. The negotiations will be tough. All across the country, supermarket employers are demanding takeaways, especially in wages and health benefits. They complain about lower profits due to the economy, intrusion of non-union market share and rising health care costs. In response, many UFCW locals have had to take strike-authorization votes before the companies made satisfactory proposals the members could accept. Some of these locals went to the very edge of going to the picket lines.

2. Pensions and health care will be big issues. In previous years, health care was our Number One point of contention with the employers. It will be so again, but this time pensions will be just as important. We will be seeking big increases in pension-fund contributions from the employers to help make up for losses sustained in the market collapses of 2008-2009.

3. Support from the public will be crucial. During the strike/lockout of 2003-2004, the customers respected our picket lines and shopped elsewhere. As a result, the supermarket companies lost an estimated $2 billion in sales. They never fully recovered the market share they lost during that labor dispute. In recent weeks, volunteers from UFCW Local 1428 and other locals in Southern California have been asking customers to sign pledges of support. Our goal is to make the companies extremely reluctant to provoke another labor dispute. This tactic was particularly successful during our negotiations in 2007.

4. Our ability to negotiate the best possible contract will be determined by the solidarity of our membership. Success at the bargaining table depends on our ability to marshal our forces effectively if and when a job action becomes necessary. Any signs of weakness will be exploited by the employers, who will be tempted to test our strength by hardening their negotiating positions.

This last point is the most important of all. Ultimately, it all depends on your willingness to stand proudly with your union sisters and brothers. “Solidarity” isn’t an abstract principle. It is the embodiment of all that we are as a labor union. Please keep that in mind when you hear, see and read the propaganda of employers who seek to weaken your resolve and pry your allegiance away from your union.

Our corporate counterparts at the bargaining table will be listening closely to reports on the moods of workers at the store. Please do your part to ensure that they hear the right message. If management asks you what you think about the negotiations, answer with complete conviction: “I’m behind my union 100 percent. Whatever they need me to do, I’ll do.”

Also, please wear your “March 2011” buttons at work and don’t be timid about discussing your union and the negotiations with your customers, your friends and your coworkers.

Here’s another thing you can do: volunteer for your union! Ask how you can help. You can make calls at a phone bank, sit at a petition table, distribute handbills, carry informational picket signs and, when the time comes, attend rallies sponsored by your union. Our greatest assets are the men and women of UFCW Local 1428. You are our strength and our power.

Without you, we would be just several people at a bargaining table making proposals that employees could accept or reject at their pleasure. With you, we are a mighty union that demands respect!

When We Work Together – We Win Together!

Connie M. Leyva
President

The above President Report was taken directly from UFCW Local 1428's Website.

Based on what we have read, Southern California Food Negotiations begin on Thursday, February 10, 2011.

Quote:
All six Southern California UFCW Locals are scheduled to begin negotiations with Ralphs, Vons and Albertsons on February 10th for our food contract which expires in March.

Back to top profile :: pm
ross53
Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Good morning everyone;

My union rep visited my work place last night; I asked him about the negotiation
He replied by saying that the union and the company are in a meeting today, however it was too early for him to know anything more until Friday morning.

If you would like to be informed of any new news: Text ufcw 135 to number 37398
You will receive free alerts and negotiations updates from UFCW Local 135.
The other alternative log into ufcw 135.com home page and click of the facebook logo

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:12 am

The Supers CHARGE FOR SHELF SPACE. They have pushed it to high limits, according to vendors. Where is the extortion for shelf space in grocery companies earnings documents? I heard that Ocean Spray pays $150K just for their juice eye-level space.
ross53
Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:12 pm

ross53 wrote:

If you would like to be informed of any new news: Text ufcw 135 to number 37398
You will receive free alerts and negotiations updates from UFCW Local 135.
The other alternative log into ufcw 135.com home page and click of the facebook logo

My Dear “FRIENDS” In Southern California:

Negotiation have begun, we have nothing to fear!

UFCW Local 135 Secretary-Treasurer Rosalyn Hackworth “Our goal is to sit down at the bargaining table as prepared as we can be. This is because we want the best contract we can get for our members without bankrupting the employers, making impossible demands and, most importantly, without disrupting your lives in the process”. From the Union publication; The Workers September 2010.

…and in the event that negotiations reach a point of impasse, we have UFCW Local 135 President Mickey Kasparian “I will bury you”

For the people who don’t know this is what Hackworth and Kasparian did in San Diego to a local Fish Market, they bleed them to dead with a contract that the Fish Market couldn’t afford and at the end, (when the company was force out of business) Kasparian told one of the Owners’ I will bury you!

Friends know this, when the Fish Market was in serious financial trouble, the Owners met with Kasparian and Hackworth, the owners asked for assistance from the union in order to make ends meet. Kasparian reply was, “I prefer to see you go out of business, instead of us helping you”.

Have no fear my friends, we are in good hands!

More later.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 pm

As we enter into 2011 Food Negotiations in Southern California, it is very important that we not forget about the ongoing legal battle between the State of California and various Food Employer’s regarding “alleged” antitrust violations arising from their profit sharing agreement during the 2003-2004 Southern California Strike.

Attorney General Lockyer Wins Landmark Ruling in Antitrust Case Against Southern California Grocers
Federal District Court Holds Profit-Sharing Agreement Subject To Antitrust Laws.
News Release
Dated May 25, 2005
http://ag.ca.gov/newsalerts/print_release.php?id=553

California Grocery Chains Profit –Sharing Agreement During 2003 Strike Violated Anti Trust Laws.
Sunday, August 22, 2010
http://cpg-retail-litigation.kotchen.com/2010/08/california-grocery-chains-profit.html

Recently in a LA Times article dated February 11, 2011:

In Grocers’ Anti-Trust Fight, Federal Appellate Court Orders a Rehearing of Earlier Appeals Decision.

“A U.S. appellate court has tossed out a previous ruling and ordered that the appeal of an antitrust lawsuit brought by the state of California against three major grocery chains be reheard.

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals issued its decision Friday. The court did not give a reason that a larger panel of appellate judges will rehear the case March 21 in San Francisco.”

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2011/02/supermarkets-federal-antitrust-rehearing-ralphs-albertsons-vons-safeway.html

We can only wait and see what will take place following the March 21st hearing in San Francisco. Having the ability to prevent our Employer’s from entering into these Profit Sharing Agreements between each other would be a huge victory for our members and the UFCW.

Quote:
As a reminder, here is the Website Link to monitor the UFCW Southern California Negotiations. Additionally, at the bottom of the page, you can also link up to the six (6) UFCW Southern California Local Union Websites. UFCW Local #135, #324, #770, #1167, #1428 & #1442.
http://march2011.org/

Laboryes
Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:09 pm

John Briley wrote:

We can only wait and see what will take place following the March 21st hearing in San Francisco. Having the ability to prevent our Employer’s from entering into these Profit Sharing Agreements between each other would be a huge victory for our members and the UFCW.

JB, do you really think the UFCW wants a huge victory for the members or do they want to just preserve the status quo of their dues flow without engaging the members in any kind of action that may demonstrate the rank and file workers having any kind of power against the employers? Be honest here!

After all JB if the powers to be within the UFCW pissed off their corporate partners who would they play golf with?

The only way the members of the UFCW won’t get their ass kicked in this upcoming grocery negotiations is if they take control of their own destiny like the people of Egypt did. And if you’ve looked around any of the grocery stores under UFCW contact lately I’d would say we’ll never see that kind of militancy with the UFCW members in our life time! Most of these members have totally bought the corporate brainwash that the only way to get somewhere in grocery industry is by back stabbing your co-workers and clawing your way to the top.

Let’s not fool ourselves JB.....

Their will be no UFCW member revolution and the UFCW powers to be will not use the historic same year expiration dates between the So Cal locals and the Nor Cal locals to win any give backs for any of the losses accumulated during the 2003-2004 grocery strike. Fact is, and you know this as well as I do that the UFCW vultures on Kst could give a rats ass about their members living standards or working conditions! Their only concern is to keep that dues revenue river running strong into DC. On top of that there’s not one local leader within the UFCW that has the balls to challenge that! As long as they’re getting theirs, that all that matters!

Members to the UFCW are just numbers, nothing more.

John Briley
Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Ly....."if" your assessment is accurate, then what other alternative remains for the members (Actives & Retirees) within the UFCW other than to,............

I for one, am not ready to do that at this time!!!!
Laboryes
Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:52 pm

I agree JB! And I'm not ready to give up either, just calling them like I see them.

Point-

Do you see any member organizing going on in the stores? I don't! Infact most members don't even know that they have negotiations coming up! Who's fault is that? Of coarse mostly their local's leaders fault, but at what point do members need to take responsibility for their own working future? Sure you can pay your dues and nothing else but when you get fucked in the ass by the employer who’s really to blame? We know the employers are greedy dick heads, we know our UFCW leaders are employer suck asses, so what’s left? You got it! Us! And what are “us” doing at this point? From what I can see a whole lot of nothing! Sitting and waiting for the same leaders that led us sheep over the cliff in 2003/04 to negotiate for us what ever little crumbs their employer golf buddies are willing to dole out! To me that fucking insanity!!!

At what point do we as grocery workers take a close look in the mirror and see ourselves for what we really are.....a bunch of whiny bitches afraid to make a stand on our own and unitedly fight together to improve our and our families working lives?

This year the UFCW will again take us over the edge! Why? Because we don’t have the ability to stand together and fight for our fair share of the pie!!! It’s much easier to just stand in the shadows and point the finger and blame others for our demise.

JB, none of this is directed at you! You of all people know how to stand and fight. But looking around our workplace and listening to people I have to be honest, there isn’t much hope left within the UFCW membership.

ross53
Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Laboryes wrote:

Members to the UFCW are just numbers, nothing more.

You people are wrong, the UFCW is a great union specially UFCW Local 135. At the current food negotiations in Southern California we will prevail.

Mickey will stand up to the grocer and say;

Give me what I want:

Roll back the pension to be the same as prior of 2003
Re-instate medical benefits the same as prior of 2003
Pay rate roll back as prior to 2003

…if not: I WILL BURY YOU, just like I did with the Fish Market.

Viva La UFCW!! Viva Mickey, Mickey way or the highway!!!!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:45 am

ross53 wrote:

You people are wrong, the UFCW is a great union specially UFCW Local 135. At the current food negotiations in Southern California we will prevail.

Come on Ross let's get real here! Let's have a real conversation on what's happening with negotiations there in So Cal.

What have the members done on their own to prepare for the ass boning they are going to get from the employers? Anything?

Or! Are they just letting the UFCW leaders handle everything? What have you done Ross to prepare for these negotiations? Have you organized any of the members in your area Ross? Or are the members in your area like the members in my area, uninterested?

Anything at all Ross going on in So Cal to battle against the employers greed?

GRUMPY
Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Hey LY, you are right. We have gone down this path before. Me and you and a select few. I have always thought people need to start taking care of themselves better. Not only work, but in life as well. We/most want to live our life with no thinking involved and when shit hits the fan, stand there with our hand out looking for someone to bale us out. I have been trying to redirect my efforts and energy in a new direction. I sent you that link, so you will know what I mean.

People in the UFCW have still not hit bottom,so there is no reason to stand up and fight. Confused Plus, as long as people can get on a government assisted program, why would they. It is for the people that really need it.

I know we don't agree on everything and that is the way it is supposed to be, but when people start living on less and stop being consumer whores, I think we will be on to something. IMHO.

WTF will all these giant corp./gov. do if people could say F.U. I don't need you to live a happy life.

Keep fighting for what you believe in everyone, but in war it is o.k. to retreat sometimes to regroup and rethink your strategy and then get back after them bastards.
ross53
Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Laboryes wrote:

Come on Ross let's get real here! Let's have a real conversation on what's happening with negotiations there in So Cal.

Okay, Ly let's get down and dirty, should we. Evil or Very Mad

People can’t help people who don’t want to be helped!

I have stated many time before, speaking for my own experience, grocery workers who are part-time employee “the majority” of them, have no incentive to get involve and making the UFCW a better union has long that the workers are subsidized with government assistance.

The majority of my co-workers are more concerned on what is the score on a football game or baseball game etc etc.. Instead of getting involved in making a better life for themselves and their families. It appears to me that they are more focus on what time their shift ends, instead of finding out how can they become better union members, or more productive employees.

They are complacent with their way of lives, is that simple!

You ask me what I have done to prepare for this negotiation. NOTHING!

…more than the majority of my friends/co-workers has, how so, elementary, my wife and I became very thrifty in January 2010 and did achieve our goal to save what we consider to be “a good” amount of money. Then, adversity stroke in September 2010 and surely had no choice but to bring into play our savings in order to make ends meet.

I believe that, I don’t have the power to make a difference in the current negotiation “because members don’t care” and “You see LY, you can’t bring the horse to water if the horse doesn’t want to drink” therefore I have concluded that, if we go on strike; I will find a way to make ends meet, if we don’t go on strike, more power to me. LY, warring about something that is corrupt like the UFCW Leadership it’s a waste of time.

LY, loving someone who doesn’t love you back it Fricking crazy! The only thing that the UFCW wants from the membership is monthly union dues; the UFCW doesn’t care about the members working condition or the member’s ability to make ends meet.

Simple Laboryes! Rolling Eyes

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:41 am

ross53 wrote:
I believe that, I don’t have the power to make a difference in the current negotiation

This is where you are wrong Ross! Also this is exactly how the employers and the UFCW leaders want you to feel.

Ross are you not a people? Ask the "people" in Egypt what happened when they stood together in unity what happened!

Ask the high school students in Wisconsin who walked out to protest union busting!

Ask the public workers in Wisconsin who now have the nations eye if they will make a difference in their negotiations!

Ross there is power when people unite and stand together! The only requirement Ross is to show up and do something! Unhappy with our UFCW leaders? Show and and try and make a change! Unhappy with the greed of your employer? Show up and inform the community how greedy your employer is!

If we as grocery workers can't be bothered to at least show up and try and put up some kind of fight then we deserve everything that's coming our way!

Ross people have power but they must be willing to use it! Don't use it....then you lose it!

Simple as that!!!!

the doc
Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:54 pm

I have to agree with ross53, there is nothing he can do about the talks. The UFCW will do as they please and they don't give a hoot about the membership. It sems today the companies get a lot richer and so do the union boys. Who gets it stuck to them, why of course the only people possible, the union members. All get rich except us, and as far as they are concerned that is the way it is and is going to be. Now the only way to change all that is to take back your union, but that is near impossible with the way the UFCW and governments have formed the laws. It comes down to who is in bed with who, and sure isn't us. The whole structure of the UFCW today is on p/t as they don't crab. They just want a couple of extra bucks each week to make ends meet. The f/t want to live in this world, but the union and the companies would rather they just go away and not bother them. Take a good look at your contract next time and see where the bulk of the money goes, it not to the employees but to the union. It is .25 per hr. for this and .15 per for this, just think how much this amounts to over the course of a year. Name me a time the UFCW told you how much they took in, and where it went.
John Briley
Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Quote:
Take a good look at your contract next time and see where the bulk of the money goes, it not to the employees but to the union. It is .25 per hr. for this and .15 per for this, just think how much this amounts to over the course of a year. Name me a time the UFCW told you how much they took in, and where it went.

the doc.... I must say that I disagree with your comment about "see where the bulk of the money goes, it is not to the employees but to the union".

When a contract is negotiated, any monies negotiated for wage increases will go directly to the affected members within that contract. Any negotiated increases (hourly contributions) for the H&W and or Pension Plans will also go directly to the affected members within that contract / Plan.

Revenue is generated to the Local Union from our members dues.

Additionally, with respect to your comment about:

Quote:
Name me a time the UFCW told you how much they took in, and where it went.

I do not know what Local Union you belong to, so by way of an example, I wanted to provide you with the following information.

Any individual has the ability to obtain any Local Unions LM2 Report through the DOL here in the U.S. I am not sure what is available for Union members in Canada.

Said LM2 report will clearly provide anyone who may be interested and or concerned with "how much they (UFCW) took in, and where it went."

I will provide you with the website link for the DOL and DOL File #'s for the four (4) largest Unions here in California, including our UFCW International Union for your information and review.

Quote:
DOL Website Link:
http://erds.dol-esa.gov/query/getOrgQry.do

UFCW I.U. File # - 000-056
UFCW Local 5 File # - 543-632
UFCW Local 8 File # - 043-536
UFCW Local 324 File # - 022-620
UFCW Local 770 File # - 517-385

Doc.... if you should have any questions, please let me know.
Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow March 2011
Page 3 of 20
page: prev  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  next
Jump to: