Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow March 2011

March 2011

page: prev  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  next
Laboryes
Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Union Grrl Power wrote:
Sorry I only have a minute to pop in today. To answer your questions. I am in 770's jurisdiction. At the previous vote the last remaining members were asked to stay and count the votes, I assume that will be done again. I do not have a scanner myself, but if I am able to, I will get a scanned copy for you to see. In an interesting note, only Vons is posting "help wanted due to a possible labor dispute" signs. Ralphs and Albertsons are going about business as usual. Thank you for all your kind welcomes.

Union Grrl Power can you give us an on the ground report? Heard on NPR this morning that So Cal grocery workers are going to walk! Is that today?

Tired of getting the corporate owned news reports! Would like to get the details from someone in the trenches such as yourself. Can you help?

If you do walk soon how can we in Nor Cal, Canada and other areas posting here help you? Let us know!

Laboryes
Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Here's an "on the ground reports" I found.

Quote:
“We don’t believe the union really represents us, but we also feel like we have no choice. We have to work together with SAG and Teamsters and all other unions. If we work together we can force them to pay. But we don’t work together. There is no coordination.

“We as grocery workers, like all other workers, work hard and should be paid top dollar. I can’t afford any more cuts. Where is the American dream? I’m living a nightmare. In 2003, I had money saved for a house. It’s gone, and I filed for bankruptcy. Now I can’t get by on what I’m paid. $300 per week is a poverty wage.”

Los Angeles grocery workers speak on strike vote

Union Grrl Power
Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:19 pm

To answer some of your questions and concerns,

Quote:
Wait a minute, they are taking a strike vote on an incomplete contract after already obtaining a strike vote???????????????

They obtained a strike authoriztion vote without a contract on the table in April. The membership said, We will go on strike if the contract is unacceptable.

At the time we took the vote in April. We were told that if the contract improved we would be allowed to vote again. After that vote a tentative aggrement was reached on the pension, so the local followed through on their promise. As to the offer being incomplete, that is entirely the fault of the companies and it is unacceptable. They new the contract was up and they have had months to give a complete offer, but all they want to do is stall.

Quote:
I can't believe they would reject this over paying a little more for health insurance, there is no sympathy out there on the forums, it's 9-1 that they are fools and people are quoting they pay $250-$600/month for health insurance, many are single. It better be more take-aways than that.

It is much more than that! The weekly premiums are not a big deal, most of us would not mind paying a little bit. The problem is they want to reduce our benefits and increase our out of pocket across the board. Including our deductible, co-pays prescriptiions, and out of pocket maximums. They add up to as much as $10,000 when the employees are making and average of $24,000 a year. We have forgone raises in the past to maintain our healthcare, and now they are coming to destroy that too.

Quote:
Union Grrl Power can you give us an on the ground report? Heard on NPR this morning that So Cal grocery workers are going to walk! Is that today?

We voted by over 90% to reject the current offer and authorize a strike. The company is supposed to be meeting to improve the offer this week and then return to the table next Monday the 29th. I have heard that if the negotiations do not improve drastically, then the 72 hour notice to strike will be given. There will be no more strike votes. The next vote will be to accept or reject the companies last best and final offer.
Back to top profile :: pm
Laboryes
Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:05 am

Union Grrl Power wrote:

We voted by over 90% to reject the current offer and authorize a strike. The company is supposed to be meeting to improve the offer this week and then return to the table next Monday the 29th. I have heard that if the negotiations do not improve drastically, then the 72 hour notice to strike will be given. There will be no more strike votes. The next vote will be to accept or reject the companies last best and final offer.

UGP thank you for the report! Let us know how we can be of help? I best dust off my walking boots and dig out my favorte picket sign stick because if you guys go out us clerks up here in Nor Cal are only 5 weeks away fron our contract expiration!!!

Come to think of it maybe we should toss aside the sticks and use baseball bats to hold our picket signs?

That might get these greedy grocery companies attention?

Laboryes
Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:24 pm

I ran across this old quote while cleaning up so old documents, can't even remember who wrote it but I think it's relevant to this thread and thought it was worth a share...

Quote:
UFCW SPIN

In the grand game of union politics, UFCW leads the pack when it comes to spewing dooms day drivel designed to lower expectations and prepare members for the worst. "Managing expectations" is an art form perfected by this union and is a key component in preserving the illusion that UFCW is representing it's members in good faith.

Well in advance of any contract expiring and long before the union ever meets with the employer to discus the terms of a new collective agreement, the UFCW propaganda machine kicks into high gear. Shop Steward bulletins that talk of market unrest and economic down turns in the industry. The union staff forecasting doom and gloom for successful negotiations and union rags that warn of a major competitor looming on the horizon, all serve to unsettle the membership and lower their expectations for tangible results. Add the employer driven rumor mill, with talks of closure, decreasing market share and profits and their need for concessions to survive, and before anyone sits down at the bargaining table the memberships faith in a beneficial resolution is severely diminished.

Once the show begins and bargaining sessions commence, the script starts with the deathly code of silence from all the actors involved. There are the ominous looks on the faces of the union negotiators, and the somber, lifeless voice of the President when he's asked how negotiations are going. Then the proverbial speech that delivers the employers "offer" filled with major roll backs and concessions, and UFCW's solemn promise to fight "our cause" to get us the deal we deserve. When the build up of anxiety has reach it's peak there is the climatic meeting that gives members very little information about the terms of the contract but offers the unanimous approval of the union for the employers "final offer" position. By the end of this act the members are so exhausted from this emotional roller coaster ride that they jump at the chance to "save their jobs". The final act of UFCW's play features accolades and cries of joy, proclaiming they have beaten back the company hordes and saved the day when in reality all they have managed to do is make a concessionary contract look like a victory for the membership. Another job well done by the UFCW production crew

John Briley
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Quote:
Contract Update - August 26, 2011

As a result of the strike vote, the federal mediator scheduled negotiations to resume on Monday, August 29.

Last week grocery workers voted to approve a strike authorization by over 90%. Grocery workers sent a strong message to the corporations that they will not accept an incomplete or unfair offer that would cut 50% of their paychecks for medical benefits.

Communities and shoppers across Southern California continue to support grocery workers more than ever. Hundreds have adopted stores and pledged their support. Hundreds continue to send delegations into stores to speak to management about our dispute. They are ready to stand with us and will not shop at Ralphs, Albertsons or Vons in the event of a strike or lockout.

We are still far apart in these negotiations but we hope that on Monday they will to come to the table and bargain in good faith.

Taken directly from UFCW Local 770's Website:

http://www.ufcw770.org/node/249

John Briley
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:39 pm

I just ran across the following website link from UFCW Local 1167's website....

http://www.ufcw1167.org/

Quote:
Support Grocery Workers

http://www.helpgroceryworkers.com/

John Briley
Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Calif. UFCW Sees Little Progress in Talks

http://supermarketnews.com/news/ufcw_progress_0901/

SuperMarket News / September 1, 2011
By: Elliot Zwiebach

Quote:

LOS ANGELES — Negotiations for the three major Southern California employers and seven locals of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union have made very little progress this week, a union executive told SN Thursday.

John Briley
Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:29 pm

Quote:

Contract Update - Friday, September 2, 2011, 5:00 p.m.

Negotiations are currently in session and continue at very slow pace.

This past weeks’ negotiation sessions have been long, lengthy and go well into the evenings. Our show of resolve in authorizing a strike brought management back to the table, but they continue to stall.

Union negotiators are committed to doing everything possible to get a fair deal and will call a strike if we cannot reach a fair agreement that protects your health benefits and livelihood.

If federal mediation prove unsuccessful, we may need to take further steps to move the negotiations forward, and show management our commitment to protecting our jobs.

If we are forced to strike, we know we have the community and consumers on our side. Your strike vote brought management to the table. Now we need to get them to stop stalling.

Stick together and stay prepared. We will update as soon as we have new developments.

UFCW Local 770's Website....
http://www.ufcw770.org/updates

Quote:
If we are forced to strike, we know we have the community and consumers on our side.

Once again we are reminded by our UFCW Local / I.U. Leadership that We (UFCW) do not have a PLAN in place to carry this fight / strike (if necessary) with these three (3) Food Employer's outside of Southern Ca.!

We (UFCW) had the community and consumers on our side back in 2003-2004 and look what took place.

Quote:
BTW.... with Northern Ca. Contracts expiring next month, October 8, 2011, it truly is unfortunate that the UFCW Local / I.U. Leadership in Northern & Southern California "appears" to have wasted a "once in a life time" opportunity.

With the proper planning and strategy, the UFCW Local / I.U. Leadership in Northern & Southern Ca., should have and could have used the closeness of the two expiration dates (March & October 2011) to apply the maximum pressure on these Employer's throughout the U.S. & Canada to achieve the best contract for our Active & Retieee Members in Northern & Southern Ca.!!!

Now we must wait and see how this will all play out.....
John Briley
Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Quote:
Grocery Workers' Negotiations Updates -

Contract Update - Sep 5, 2011 2:56 PM

Union negotiators have been in negotiations for 8 straight days working late into the night with the federal mediator.

Some health plan design issues have been worked out, but the Employers still have NOT offered the money needed to fund the health plan. Without appropriate funding, working out plan design is meaningless and puts the health plan at risk of bankruptcy.

Employers still refuse to discuss wages.

Our health plan is continuing to run out of money and we are getting close to giving 72-hour notice if adequate funding is not achieved soon.

UFCW Local 770's Website.
http://www.ufcw770.org/updates

SharynS
Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Quote:
Without appropriate funding, working out plan design is meaningless and puts the health plan at risk of bankruptcy.
That we know and have for months. In fact members took a couple strike votes, with overwhelming member support, because of that.
Quote:
Our health plan is continuing to run out of money
And that we know and have for months. In fact members took a couple strike votes, with overwhelming support because of that.
Quote:
Employers still refuse to discuss wages.
And it would seem UFCW refuses to do anything about it. Can't or won't? What's the hold up?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:30 am

Quote:
UFCW leads the pack when it comes to spewing dooms day drivel designed to lower expectations and prepare members for the worst.
from Laboryes posting

I went looking for the source but when I typed in "Managing Expectations" I found that there was over 6,500,000 possibilities.

Since I figured that it would take me over 83 minutes to manually check up on all of them, I abandoned the project.
SharynS
Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:09 pm

I scaled down the search results a bit hawk. I haven't checked any of them out and there's more where they come from, but I'm thinking you might find something of value re:"managing expectations" in one of these.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:17 pm

Quote:
Sept. 9, 2011 Negotiations Update 6:30pm

Management Wage Proposal: A bad offer for everyone. Everyone, that is, except management.

Here it is:

Pay cuts for clerk helpers

No raises first two years

15 cents in 3rd year for only some employees.

Most employees get no additional wage increase!

Bonuses and third year raise totaling 1%.

Cuts in hours

Health care proposal: The employers admit that their proposed contribution is not sufficient to fund your benefits for the term of the contract, meaning more cuts to your benefits or a bankrupt health fund.

MEANWHILE:

Ralphs, VONS, Albertsons profits: $3 billion in 2010.

Ralphs, VONS, Albertsons payouts to Wall Street: $500 million in 2010.

WHAT THIS MEANS:

Management wants you to believe they are doing you a favor. They are not. They can afford fair raises and adequate funding for health care. it would be a small fraction of their billions in profits.

Instead, they are taking food out of you and your family’s mouth so they can pay more to Wall Street investment firms and bigger bonuses to executives.

UFCW Local 770's website:
http://www.ufcw770.org/node/270

Additionally...

Kroger Profit Up 7.3%, Sales Top $20 Billion

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-kroger-earns-20110909,0,2318998.story

LaTimes / AP September 10, 2011
John Briley
Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:43 pm

No Relief in Sight

http://supermarketnews.com/retail_financial/no_relief_sight_0912/index.html

SuperMarket News / September 12, 2011
By: Elliot Zwiebach

Quote:

The supermarket industry faces a difficult road ahead, according to the 2011 SN Analysts Roundtable

Quote:

The analysts agreed that Kroger Co. is best positioned among the major conventional chains to withstand the industry's competitive pressures, “[with] one of the best models in consumables retailing right now,” Heinbockel said. “Its 4% or 5% comp and its price position mean it can afford to invest selectively in price and simultaneously expand EBIT margin — the best of all worlds.”

Quote:

“Both Safeway and Supervalu are losing market share right now, and it's those two, which are trying to play catch-up, that are at greater risk,” Wiltamuth said. “Both were late to the party when it came to cutting prices, and it's hard to really stimulate and bring that customer back. Now, with an inflating environment, it's even harder to reposition your relative price in the marketplace.”

Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow March 2011
Page 18 of 20
page: prev  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  next
Jump to: