Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow March 2011

March 2011

page: prev  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  next
SharynS
Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:56 pm

Oh yes the almighty ufcw buttons - employers beware!
Quote:
The support we had from other unions is one of the reasons our local survived the strike and lockout in 2003-04 and bargained such a great contract in 2007.
A lot to choose from but I found Ms Hackworth's ^^ above bullshit ^^ to be the most disgusting. The result of "the strike and lockout in 2003-04" was that many UFCW members lost jobs, hours, wages, benefits, homes and/or relationships.

I can't fault Hackworth's accuracy but I can her lack of honesty. The local (may have) survived, it was ufcw members who took the hit. Pretty sure I'll fall over dead the day I read one ufcw active trougher telling the entire truth, or any truth. or a modicum of it.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:24 pm

I sent the thread along to Ms Hackworth. I think it only fair she gets an opportunity to respond. That's not to mention that if members have to sit through the crap then sitting through the crap's reception should be on them, no?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:37 pm

“Our goal is to sit down at the bargaining table as prepared as we possibly can be. This is because we want the best contract we can get for our members without bankrupting the employer,

http://www.ufcw135.org/Hackworth_message.htm

Hey Rosalyn,

Sooo let me see if I understand this correctly, the last thing that you want to do, is to force the company out of business.

Would you and or Mickey, like to explain why are you forcing Mark out of business?

Is the goal of the union, to close down the shop, and consequently terminate 100 union members?..... instead of the union stepping up to the plate and help the company make ends meet?

Hey Mickey, I am seriously concern, you willing to f**k your long time friend and destroy the livelihood of 100 union members. Is this what UFCW is all about???

Rosalyn &, Mickey, in the event that you wonder how I know, simply remember "Pedro" is my friend.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:29 am

From President Mickey Kasparian UFCW Local 135

http://www.ufcw135.org/

Please click on President's Mesage October 2010

Mickey:

For one thing, we learned that solidarity can achieve amazing things,

Ross:

Solidarity was achieved by offering union members that were earning between $150.00 and $200.00 per week an opportunity to earn $ 300.00 per week by voting strike.

With nearly 70% of the members earning less then $300.00 how difficult it was to create solidarity. Geniuses!!!!!

Mickey:

Amazing things;

Ross:
Union members were driven into financial ruins by the UFCW’s incompetent leadership after walking the pavement for four and a half months. The union allowed the creation of a two tier wages “same work, less pay, less benefits” WOW AMAZING!!!!!

Mickey:

We also have the advantage of meticulous preparation. At Local 135, we already have more money in our emergency fund than we had at the beginning of the 2003-04 labor dispute.

Ross:

In 2003-04, based on a statement made to the local media from President Mickey Kasparian “we had enough money to last us 13 weeks”. The week before Christmas 2003 Kasparian makes another historical statement “we have no more money” from next week on the picketers will be paid $100.00 per week.

Mickey:

Just as important are the preparations we have made in conjunction with other unions throughout California and the United States. Those other unions know that they can count on us for support just as we can count on theirs.

Ross:

You mean like the Teamsters that picketed only for few days and “only” on the days that were convenient for them.

In 2003-2004 what made UFCW Local 135 president Kasparian proud was the fact that two days before Christmas about 750 union members’ families, drove to San Diego Stadium to been given six bags of groceries. In 2011, in the event of a strike, should I be looking forward to an Easter basket from my Grandkids?

Mickey:

And we support “big box” legislation to keep Walmart out of our city (see story page 7).

Ross:

Can’t find page 7 !!!! Hey Mickey I have one simple solution post the entire Workers Magazine on the union website instead of what is convenient to you.
Back to top profile :: pm :: www
Laboryes
Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:40 am

ross53 wrote:

Mickey:

For one thing, we learned that solidarity can achieve amazing things,

Here's your UFCW Style Solidarity ... Works for everyone "except" the dues paying members fronting the bill and the labor to power the corporate machine!

GRUMPY
Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Hey LY, you didn't say you got a Christmas dinner out of your CEO. Wow, now I am really jealous. Laughing Did it come with all the fixins' ?

I think that if you guys get one this year, you should freeze it until Oct. 2011, you might need it. Wink

Nevermind, he likes you guys so much, if you are out on strike, he will probably give you another dinner while out in the streets.
Back to top profile :: pm
ross53
Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Hey Grumpy,

In the event that we are on strike for Easter 2011 can you pleasae send couples of Easter baskets down to my house, things are very tough over here and we don’t see any meaningful improvement in the near future. My friend Pedro a union members part time employed waiting in a food line to receive fresh produce, dry goods and canned food, hoping to make ends meet for his family.

Read more here: In hard times, San Diegans turn to food lines

http://www.signonsandiego.com/foodbank/

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:29 pm

Ross53.... any updates for us concerning So. Ca. Food Negotiations? With your contract expiring on March 6, 2011, I haven't noticed very much chatter on the So. Cal. websites. What's going on?

BTW... ran into this article from Supermarket News, dated, January 31, 2011, by Jon Springer that I thought was interesting.

Contract Challenges:
http://supermarketnews.com/retail_financial/pension-shortfalls-ailing-companies-0131/index.html#

Quote:
As in recent years, pension funds — battered by the stock market collapse and operating under tighter federal regulations that some sources described as onerous — will be a key issue. Employers in many cases will be required to make greater contributions, but will likely look to union give-backs as a means of affording them.

Look out for the last part of that paragraph,

Quote:
but will likely look to union give-backs as a means of affording them.

ross53
Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:41 pm

JB;

All six Southern California UFCW Locals are scheduled to begin negotiations with Ralphs, Vons and Albertsons on February 10th for our food contract which expires in March.

But Ralphs, Vons, and Albertsons are refusing to meet with your local union leadership in a blatant attempt to drag negotiations far beyond the expiration of the contract.

As usual the INEP leadership of UFCW Local 135 will not post anything on the union website therefore we need to log into UFCW Local 770 to get updates.

Note: No mention of Local 8 involvement

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:59 am

Quote:
John Briley wrote:

What happened with UFCW Local 8?
What is your understanding????

My Dear friend John;

I asked the same question to Pedro two days ago. Pedro said that he did not know but, he was going to contact Loveall and try finding out the proper answer.

Ross53.... awhile back I had asked you a question about UFCW Local 8??? You responded that Pedro was going to contact Loveall and find out the answer to my question.

Any updates from Pedro?????

With respect to a portion of your most recent post....

Quote:
But Ralphs, Vons, and Albertsons are refusing to meet with your local union leadership in a blatant attempt to drag negotiations far beyond the expiration of the contract.

Ross... I am confused. As a current Retiree with UFCW Local 5, our Northern Ca. Food Contracts do not expire until October 8, 2011.

At that time there will be three (3) UFCW No.Cal. Local Union's involved with Food Negotiations. UFCW Local #5 (President Lind), UFCW Local #8 (President Loveall) and UFCW Local #648 (President Sharpe). As you are aware of, former UFCW Local 101 (President Borstel), merged with UFCW Local 5 effective 1/1/11.

Out of the three (3) Food Employer's you mentioned, Ralph's, Von's & Albertson's, only Safeway (Von's) is one of the Big Player's here in No. Cal along with Savemart (Lucky's) and Raley's (Nob Hill).

Ralph's left No. Cal. several years back following the So. Ca. strike. Ralph's Grocery Co. does however, have their Warehouse Stores they run under the banner of FoodsCo here in Northern Ca. These stores are covered by a different contract and those contracts do not expire on October 8, 2011.

Looking forward to your update.

Thank You
John Briley
Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:36 pm

Quote:
Food Negotiations Update

All six Southern California UFCW Locals are scheduled to begin negotiations with Ralphs, Vons and Albertsons on February 10th for our food contract which expires in March.

Your union offered to meet with these employers every day from February 10th onward. But the employers could only find six dates that suited them, clearly not enough to reach an agreement. Worse, they only offered to meet with us four times after the expiration of the contract.

It could not be clearer that they have absolutely no intention of reaching an agreement that you will have a chance to ratify before the expiration of the contract.

That’s why it is more important than ever that you participate in the UNITY campaign your union is conducting with members and consumers. We must be unified and ready for anything in these negotiations, and we need to ensure the consumers are once again on our side.

UNITY Bag Distribution Calendar - February 2011

UNITY Bag Distribution Locations - February 2011

Saturday, March 26---March and Rally for Good Jobs and Grocery Workers

On March 26, in downtown Los Angeles, we want to take the fight for good jobs to the streets. Throughout this economic crisis, all over the world, working people have been making their voice for change heard. We need to do the same.

On March 26, one of our principal targets will be the Ralph’s supermarket downtown. Contracts for 60,000 grocery workers in Southern California will have expired. We can’t let the giant supermarket corporations force another strike and lockout like they did in 2003/04. The grocery chains want Wal-Mart wages for their workers and Corporate America wants it for the rest of us.

WHEN: Saturday, March 26, 2011, 10:00 AM
Gathering location to be announced soon.

Taken directly from UFCW Local 770's website.

Ross, after reading the "complete" text found on UFCW Local 770's website, I now understand what you were trying to report.

Quote:

I still would like to hear Pedro's update.

Thank You
SharynS
Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:57 pm

ufcw770 wrote:
We're Here To Serve You.
Just no longer in the (closed) Lancaster Union office. With negotiations around the corner, does anyone know where those members have to go to be served?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:47 am

John Briley wrote:
Quote:
Food Negotiations Update

The grocery chains want Wal-Mart wages for their workers and Corporate America wants it for the rest of us.

I still would like to hear Pedro's update.

Thank You

Hey, Genius at 770;

We already have Wal Mart wages read the F***ing contract, you gave to them in 2003/04 and modified to benefit the grocers in the 2007 contract!!!! Genius.

JB,

As you know Pedro is no longer part of the UFCW effective 12/1/2010 Pedro has a part ownership of a business that remodel kitchen.

Last conversation that I had with Pedro about Local 8: Loveall assured him that Loveall will negotiate “separate and simultaneous” for the union members that follow under his jurisdiction after the split of 1036.

The thing that Pedro was unable to answer was; that since the breakup of 1036 each and every time that the Southern California Trust Funds conducts a meeting, no one is present to represent the union members that are under the jurisdiction of local 8. NO ONE FROM LOCAL 8 IS PRESENT AT THE MEETINGS!

Pedro did not ask that question to Loveall therefore I don’t know what to tell you.

That is all for now on this subject.

I am waiting for Kasparian to update Local 135 website with some news.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:17 pm

In a portion of the Supermarket News Article, UFCW Local 324 President Greg Conger said:

Quote:
California Dreaming

In Southern California, six unions negotiating with the three major chains there have serious concerns about pension and health contributions from employers but hope to reach an agreement peacefully. Both sides still carry scars from a 2003 strike-lockout.

“There are always places for us to have disagreements, but I don't think there will be as many as in the past,” Conger told SN. “That's because we've been working well together since the strike-lockout.”

Conger described that event as “a classic lose-lose situation,” but one that was rebounded from during 2007 negotiations, “which both sides were very pleased with, and went the way they always should have gone.”

In a portion of UFCW Local 770's website posting, Local 770 states:

Quote:

Your union offered to meet with these employers every day from February 10th onward. But the employers could only find six dates that suited them, clearly not enough to reach an agreement. Worse, they only offered to meet with us four times after the expiration of the contract.

It could not be clearer that they have absolutely no intention of reaching an agreement that you will have a chance to ratify before the expiration of the contract.

It appears we have two (2) So. Cal. UFCW Presidents / Int. V.P.'s (Conger & Icaza) engaged in two (2) "separate points of view" as to whether or not the So.Cal. UFCW Unions and the So.Cal Food Employer's have "really been working well together since the strike-lockout.”

To be continued.....
ross53
Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Quote:
Food Negotiations Update
That’s why it is more important than ever that you participate in the UNITY campaign your union is conducting with members and consumers. We must be unified and ready for anything in these negotiations, and we need to ensure the consumers are once again on our side.

UNITY Bag Distribution Calendar - February 2011

UNITY Bag Distribution Locations - February 2011

Saturday, March 26---March and Rally for Good Jobs and Grocery Workers

On March 26, in downtown Los Angeles, we want to take the fight for good jobs to the streets. Throughout this economic crisis, all over the world, working people have been making their voice for change heard. We need to do the same.

On March 26, one of our principal targets will be the Ralph’s supermarket downtown. Contracts for 60,000 grocery workers in Southern California will have expired. We can’t let the giant supermarket corporations force another strike and lockout like they did in 2003/04. The grocery chains want Wal-Mart wages for their workers and Corporate America wants it for the rest of us.

WHEN: Saturday, March 26, 2011, 10:00 AM
Gathering location to be announced soon.

Good morning to everyone;

JB and anyone who can explain?

I got two UNITY bags one yellow and one blue in either one I did not see Local 8 as part of the UNITY slogan.

Can someone please explain “UNITY” without Local 8?

The current CBA will expire on MARCH 6th, 2011.

Can someone please explain why UFCW Local 770 will conduct a Rally on March 26th, 2011?

Thank You!

Page 2 of 20
page: prev  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  next
Jump to: