Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow March 2011

March 2011

page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  next
ross53
Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:48 am

The six unions in Southern California are preparing to mail a pamphlet to ask the member what is important to the members in the upcoming negotiations.

Example of questions:

Wages: how important is that to you? : Circle one.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8*

Medical Insurance? : Circle one. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8*

Pension, Vacation, etc etc…

My questions to our leaders,and anyone who like to explain:

Why waist money, to ask the rank and files, things that our leader should know?

All of you leaders have be around long enough to know better. Why insult people intelligence by asking “unintelligent” questions?

Are you telling the members that you are about to enter negotiation and the leadership
Does not know what is good for the working people?

Or even better, did the UFCW leadership already reached a tentative agreement with the grocers, and from this point forward any actions taken by the UFCW leadership is nothing more than a dog and pony show?

Just wondering??

* I have no idea why they stop at number 8!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:49 am

The reason why my Dear, friend Pedro believes that, this particular questioner/ surveys is nothing more than a dog and pony show.

One of the questions #7 to be specific asks;

Since the last contract, do you feel that your company has made:
1) Large profits
2) Small profits
3) No profits

My, Dear friend Pedro analysis, of the question above;

Safeway / Vons: January 2007 Stock traded at $34.00 today closed at $21.32
Kroger / Ralph: January 2007 Stock traded at $24.00 today closed at $21.22
Supervalu / Albertsons: January 2007 Stock traded at $35.00 today closed at $11.14

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SWY
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=KR
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SVU

#7 question is the one that begs the question: why is important for the union to ask that question?
… because If the UFCW leaders can not achieve a good contract, they will fault their failure on the awful economy.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Okay, for anyone who had doubts about my friend Pedro.

Take your survey here:

http://www.march2011.org/

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Ross... help me out here????

When I reviewed the survey that was provided I ran across a question for you?

The UFCW Locals mentioned as being part of the survey in question are: UFCW Locals 135,324,770,1167,1428 & 1442.

What happened with UFCW Local 8?

As outlined in the Merger Agreement, didn't Local 8 pick up the members in and around the Bakersfield area?

http://www.uncharted.ca/images/users/ssigurdur/ufcw1036_merger_agreement.pdf

It was my understanding that those members that UFCW Local 8 picked up would continue to be part of the So.Cal. UFCW / Employer's / Bargaining etc. ?????

What is your understanding????
Back to top profile :: pm
ross53
Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:08 pm

John Briley wrote:

What happened with UFCW Local 8?
What is your understanding????

My Dear friend John;

I asked the same question to Pedro two days ago. Pedro said that he did not know but, he was going to contact Loveall and try finding out the proper answer.

The other thing to take under consideration is, the following instruction on the survey:

“Please rank the following issues on a scale of 1-8 in terms of their importance to you and your coworkers - 1 being the most important and 8 being the least important, place a check mark under the appropriate # column”:

Are all six Southern California Union intentionally F****ng with Loveall? they know that Loveall really likes the #8 and he is very sentimental about it.

First they excluded Local 8 from the survey and to add insult into injury the stated that # 8 in least important. WOW!

John, at this time I have no idea what the answer to your question is. I have my own opinions but, at this time I prefer not to post them.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:30 am

I guess the train left the station however, Local 1428 & 1442 are not on board.

http://www.ufcw1428.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/2011-Button-Talking-points.pdf

http://www.ufcw1442.org/

Can't locate anything on their home pages about the survey.

Sooo; if you are a member of either local and, you care about doing the survey, you need to log into another local.

Great organization, I wonder what they mean when they say: UNITED WE STAND! Or IN SOLIDARITY WE SHALL PREVAIL!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:36 am

Interesting situation :

Teamsters Ratify 5-Year Contract
Oct 12, 2010 2:06 PM, By SN STAFF

"It was a very tough negotiation, especially because of these economic times," said Randy Korgan, business manager for Teamsters Local 63 in Rialto, Calif.

http://supermarketnews.com/retail_financial/teamsters_contract_1012/

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:33 am

Years ago I was an active union local executive member (UAW) and president of the area Labour Council.

Negotiations follow a set pattern:

1. The warm up

Get the workers interested in the negotiations and get them thinking that they will make gains. Get their hopes up. (It is like giving kids a toy catalog before Christmas and asking them to pick out the toys they want.)

The union picks the questions so they control the way workers think about what they should ask for. Nothing radical is on the list.

The international has their own negotiation demands but they do not tell the membership this. Guess which set of demands makes it to the table?

2. Apply the heat
Talk tough before the strike vote as the union needs the strike mandate. Get the workers upset so they will vote for a strike if one is required. The union tells the workers that if the union does not get a strike mandate, they will get nothing.

3. Throw on the ice cold water

The union comes to an agreement with the employers. They then tell the workers that they got the best contract possible and if they do not vote to accept the contract they will go out on strike for months and get nothing more or even lose their jobs.

4. Pat on the back
The union brags about what a heroic job they did in such terrible circumstances.

Did I miss anything?
John Briley
Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:50 pm

Quote:
The six unions in Southern California are preparing to mail a pamphlet to ask the member what is important to the members in the upcoming negotiations.

For those of you who are not aware of this, in 2011 Union Contracts for our Food Division Members in Southern California (UFCW Locals 135,324,770,1167,1428 & 1442) and Northern California (UFCW Locals 5,8, 101 & 648) will be expiring. The outcome of the upcoming merger between Local 5 & 101, as yet to be determined?

Quote:

Southern California Food Division Members Contract Expires on March 6, 2011.

Quote:

Northern California Food Divison Members Contract expires on October 8, 2011.

I have yet to hear anything from either Southern and or Northern California's Leadership as to what "if" anything they all plan to do, in an effort of "Solidarity" and on behalf of each and every UFCW Food Division Member in the State of California, to captialize on the two (2) contract expiration dates that are so close to each other?

I recently found a quote from UFCW Local 770's President Rick Icaza, as to So. Cal.'s upcoming Food Negotiations that I thought was interesting:

http://ufcw770.org/

Quote:
A Message from President Rick Icaza

Our grocery contract expires in about a year. We’ve come a long way since the lockout and strike in 2003, winning back in our current contract much of what we lost in 2003-2004.

We won in 2007 because we prepared early and stood together. It worked—we gained fair wage increases, eliminated the unfair two-tier wage and secured our health and pension funds.

But this next contract brings with it fresh challenges. A weak economy that is creating a crisis in our health and pension funds, declining profits and market share for union markets, and renewed efforts by non-union markets to drag down wages.

This means we need to work even harder and prepare earlier for the fight ahead. And have no doubt, it will be a fight. Management will use the economy as a bludgeon to lower our wages and benefits. We can’t let them get away with that.

We’ve already begun the research and preparation necessary to develop a successful plan for the 2011 contract campaign. Over the next few months you’ll be hearing more from us about how you can help get our message out to consumers and the community. Every UFCW member is a critical messenger to the public—and will make the difference come next March.

Specifically, President Icaza peaked my interest when he said:

Quote:
We’ve already begun the research and preparation necessary to develop a successful plan for the 2011 contract campaign.

To be continued........
ross53
Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:04 pm

unionnow wrote:
What is going to happen? With the Internationals blessing the companies will go to Local 8 first.

Ross reply to,Unionow,
I think, there is going to be a showdown between UFCW Local 770 “El President” Icazza and UFCW Local 8 Loveall. I doubt that, Loveall with only 3,000 members in Southern California is going to dictate term and condition for the upcoming contract. Furthermore I seriously doubt that, “El President” will allow that to happen.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:01 am

Not So Cal, I refer to Nor Cal.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:26 am

Unionnow,

My apologies I misunderstood.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:27 am

UFCW Local 135, Secretary -Treasurer's Message

Get Ready, Here We Come! Laughing

“Our goal is to sit down at the bargaining table as prepared as we possibly can be. This is because we want the best contract we can get for our members without bankrupting the employer,

http://www.ufcw135.org/Hackworth_message.htm

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:46 pm

Quote:
Then we ramp up the process a year or two before the negotiations...
More like ramp up the rhetoric. And Rosalyn Hackworth definitely has ufcw's all talk no substance mastered. Going up? Rolling Eyes

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Quote:
Also, we wear our UFCW gear and buttons whenever we can to keep our “brand” in the public’s eye. When they see gold and blue, we want people to instantly think about UFCW Local 135 and our upcoming negotiations.

Sharyn..... you are right.....!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
More like ramp up the rhetoric. And Rosalyn Hackworth definitely has ufcw's all talk no substance mastered. Going up?

Another UFCW "Button" campaign, just what we needed?????
Home arrow Forums arrow Your Union arrow March 2011
Page 1 of 20
page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  next
Jump to: