Home arrow Forums arrow News & Views arrow CCWIPP Trustees Totally Failed Judge Rules

CCWIPP Trustees Totally Failed Judge Rules

page: 1, 2  next
wm pasz
Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:58 am

Trustees of the Canadian Commercial Workers Industry Pension plan were convicted today of violating the Pension Benefits Act of Ontario. Multiple charges were laid against the trustees in 2006 after an investigation by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario found numerous apparent breaches of pension laws.

The judgment: R. v Christophe et al

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:42 am

Sentencing January

What do you think this cost your dues "kitty"?

William J. Manuel , Mark Bailey and Alena Thouin…………………………………..for the prosecution
Mark Sandler and Scott Bergman…………………………………………………for Bernard Christophe
Scott Fenton and Stephanie Wakefield……………………………………..……for Gordy K. Cannady
Mark Zigler and Anthony Guindon………………………………………..…………for Michael Fraser
Mark Zigler and Anthony Guindon……………………………………………………for Wayne Hanley
Paul Schabas and Erin Houl t………………………………………………..…………for Lucy Paglione
Mark Zigler and Anthony Guindon………………………………………………….for Tom Zakrzewski
David Humphrey and Seth Weinstein……………………………………….…………for Cli fford Evans
Mark Zigler and Anthony Guindon……………………………………………………for Antonio Filato
Mark Zigler and Anthony Guindon………………………………………..……………for Alain Picard

What do you figure guys... $500 an hour for each? 14 of them is conservatively $7,000 an hour. For how many days of prep... giddayup!!!

(Is it just me or some weird irony that makes "Filato" too much like another word I vaguely recall from my pre-marriage days?)

wm pasz
Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:00 am

Oh yeah, the lawyer/accused ratio was really lopsided today. No need to wonder about the cost. On page 18 of the 2008 financial statement that we posted yesterday you'll find all the law firms that made up the defence for the "CCWIPP 9". Over $2 million - in one year alone.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:35 pm

Today's Toronto Star has this report.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Bahamas Tribune report

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:43 pm

A look back in time. Here's what convicted CCWIPP plan chairman Bernard Christophe had to say to TOStar.com in 07.11.05.
Quote:
However, plan chairman Bernard Christophe insisted in an interview the fund is "sound" and has demanded that Sorbara and the commission's superintendent withdraw the report because it is "incomplete and factually inaccurate.

"After more than two years of an examination with which CCWIPP fully co-operated, it is shockingly irresponsible of the Financial Services Commission of Ontario to issue a report riddled with regulatory compliance allegations that have been disproved," Christophe said.
Rolling Eyes

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:42 pm

It would be interesting to see what he says now.

SharynS
Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:22 am

How about things you'd like to hear Christophe and the other 8 convicts say:

1. Would you like fries with that?

2. Guard!

The silence on union websites is deafening, not a news blurb or mention anywhere to be found. Now why wouldn't big labour applaud this indictment?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Bernie is probably a little jealous of his pension bed-buddy Cliff...

yes, this crap is actually posted on the net

It seems the old CCWIPP-chick Joan Tanaka tried to give Cliff one last kiss-ass-ego-boost before his mug had to face Justice Beverly A. Brown. Hopefully he did appreciate the judge's comments just as much as he did those of Joan.

Congrats again, Cliffie!

SharynS
Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:40 pm

Quote:
Mr. Evans's course of educational enquiry led him to the International Foundation..
Sure sure Cliffy was inspired by his thirst for knowledge. Nothing like learning about the ebb and flow of pension funds to quench the parched mind.

So which is it? IFEBP applauds Cliff as an ultimate expert which is inconsistent with the CCWIPP trustee convictions. Which by all accounts indicate gross incompetence. Did Cliffy and his trustee buds understand all those years that shipping those millions of member dollars to off shore deals was illegal or didn't they?

This is interesting, look who sits on the IFEBP board
Quote:
(Canadian Sector Representative)
David N. Harvey
President & CEO
Benefit Plan Administrators Ltd.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:24 am

Labor faces the greatest challenge ever. Its achievements on the wage front and the pension fronts are at stake, due to inane government policies of destabilizing the rate of interest causing an unprecedented destruction of capital in pension plans.

If labor leaders want to preserve the achievements of the labor movement, they must address the root cause of the problem: the regime of irredeemable currency.
Interest rates can be stabilized and pensions plans can be saved only through the outlawing of the irredeemable dollar.

We are currently on a course that will result in the destruction of pension funds. If not wiping them out all together, the irredeemable dollar will drastically reduce the pension rights of workers.

This is a wake-up call.

The UFCW leadership must demand that fiet currency created out of thin air and backed nothing be outlawed. The manner in which this currency is presently created is the root cause of our economic instabilty and the vicious swings between deflation and inflation .

THE UFCW leadership must demand that wages and pensions be paid in redemmable dollars, that is coin of the realm, defined as a fixed weight and fineness of gold and silver.

Rose Knows
UFCW local 175/633
Back to top profile :: pm :: e-mail
The Third Element
Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:43 pm

I am trying to grab onto this but I am missing some definitions.

#1 - What is an "irredeemable dollar"? I get what irredeemable means, you can't cash it... but I don't understand how pension dollars are "irredeemable".

#2 - What is "fiet currency"?

I'm on top of the rest but want to hold back comment until I am clear that I understand. eg - You want your pension in gold or silver??

wm pasz
Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:44 pm

TTE, I believe she's referring to fiat money. That's not really the problem in the case of the CCWIPP plan though - looting is.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:45 am

Please excuse my spelling. Fiat money is the correct spelling. There is something bigger going on with pensions in general, more disturbing than simple pension fraud.
Since 1971 when we went off of the gold standard our currency became a fiat currency backed by nothing, or to put it another way not redemmable in gold or silver. The coin of the realm before 1971.

How would you like the prospect of working all of your life and when you retire you are paid your full pension but the currency has been so debased that it only buys 3 eggs such as was the case in Zymbobway early last year.

The American dollar is in a major bear market as are all fiat currencys.
The Canadian dollar is falling along with the American dollar. Just not as fast. In the not too distant future we will see massive inflation. So massive in fact that it will make the late 70's inflation look like a walk in the park.

Rose Knows

UFCW Local 175/633
Back to top profile :: pm :: e-mail
SharynS
Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:00 pm

It is much bigger than labour corruption. Wasn't it the late 60's early 70's began the federal invasion into provincial jurisdictions? Spending monies Canada didn't have, eroding constitutional accountibility tripwires? Quebec managed to avoid much of the invasion and along with other programs saved it's own pension fund from the jaws of national death.

Page 1 of 2
page: 1, 2  next
Jump to: