Home arrow Forums arrow The Lounge arrow Please don't bring your momma's ashes to work

Please don't bring your momma's ashes to work

SharynS
Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:36 pm

About 2 years ago an employee was fired for reasons not important to the story. Needless to say she never set foot in the store since then.

It is important to understand that because of the transient nature of the save-on (retail) employees, employee lockers are constantly being counted and turned over.

The employer thinks nothing of sawing off the lock if it's not clearly identified. The lockers are strewn ana'where they can fit. I chose a locker which is tuc'd away in a small cubby - hardly anyone ever goes there. I felt safe.

Today while I was enjoying my break, the ass-man accompanied by a friend of the above person, came looking for the above terminated person's locker. I knew the person so greet'd her in my normal friendly fashion "What the hell are you doing here?" I ask'd.

She respond'd "You don't want to know, I'm here to pick up so'n'so's mother's ashes" she said. "she left them here 2 yrs ago".

Well crap if they weren't looking for locker #106. My locker is 101. Ana'ways. I follow them in there because I had to see for myself. Sure enough, the locker was open'd and a gallon-sized object wrapped in a save-on bag was lift'd out.

A couple things I couldn't hardly believe, first that the old lady had been living just 2 doors down from me all that time and never said a word and secondly, how the locker had been over-look'd in the employer's frequent lock'r siezures(?)

The ass-man was pretty anxious about it all and for it to just be over. He hurried the lady along, just to get the contents and leave. Given the fired employees sudden departure, I am going to ask the ass-man tomorrow if he's sure that it was momma's ashes that were being hauled out in that tied up bag.

Maybe the reason for termination is important afterall. She was terminated for putting things in bags and taking them home without paying.

How many people do you know bring their mother's ashes to work and then forget where they left her for 2 years. Don't answer that.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:26 am

There's just such a humungous metaphor in that story I'm just agog as they say.

A poor woman, obsessed with possessing stuff, brought her mother's ashes to work and forgot them. Mother's ashes in wrapped in a grocery bag, somehow evade detection by corporate watchdogs for 2 whole years. Holy cow, I feel a screenplay coming on.

But seriously, it's an example of stuff that takes place weird dimension of workplace life that nobody ever talks about.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:06 am

Tales of the Odd/Unexplainable -- Sounds like a new category of posts.

Arf Arf

SharynS
Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:55 am

Quote:
A poor woman, obsessed with possessing stuff, brought her mother's ashes to work and forgot them. Mother's ashes in wrapped in a grocery bag, somehow evade detection by corporate watchdogs for 2 whole years. Holy cow, I feel a screenplay coming on.
Don't forget the part about momma's ashes being just 2 doors down from siggy's lock'r #101 for near 2 yrs.

The lady was a long time customer, long before she was hired on. She rarely shopped without momma, until one day momma was gone. I remember asking her where she was. She told me momma' pass'd on but she didn't tell me she was in the locker 2 doors down from me in the cubby.

To say the woman was a troubled, beaten down, insecure soul would be an understatement. Knowing her for years, I have little doubt part of the reason momma spent all that time waiting to be pick'd up was because her daughter feared coming back for her, or even telling anyone the ashes were there.

Her final humiliating work experience (she had never worked before) was more than likely in a room, surrounded by corporate and security suits and possibly an interogation lamp, I've no doubt she had the living shit scared out her. Tough enough for the hardened, impossible for an already fragile being.

Of course, all that assuming it was momma in the save-on bag.

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: