Home arrow Forums arrow Feedback & Support arrow ratemyunion.com

ratemyunion.com

The Third Element
Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:50 am

I bought a new plaything... www.ratemyunion.com

No don't click on it, nothing happens yet.

Siggy says "different" people are hiding over here in the Feedback and Support area. Not sure if I like that descriptor but, whatever.

Does anyone have an opinion about what software or web resource one would use to populate such a thing. I do not envision a Forum or chat blog thing, just a rating style website with perhaps a limited area to post comment, then some way to rate unions and their reps.

Any ideas would be helpful.

THX TTE

Kelsey
Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:21 am
Site Admin
I'm not sure if a dedicated ratings-oriented system exists; at least not out-of-the-box.

Have a browse through OpenSourceCMS.com and see if anything tickles your fancy. Chances are good that at least one of the (many) apps listed has a plugin or module or something that will do ratings but you might have to do a fair amount of research to find it.

My SO is heavily involved with one of the major CMS's. I'll ask her if she knows of anything suitable and post back.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:21 am

Wow, Third Element, what a fantastic idea you have there. You've really hit on something.

'rate my teachers' has been around for a few years and, as far as I've heard, it's been wildly successful.

The stats on that site include over 11 million ratings.

The Canadian version is here - www.ratemyteachers.ca

The American version is here - www.ratemyteachers.com

Just imagine what a similar site for unions could do.

Can we help?
Back to top profile :: pm
SharynS
Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:05 am

Quote:
"Different" people?!?? Would all the people who constitute "Same" on this site please raise their hands...
Did I use the wrong adjective or did you use the wrong interpretation 3E. I guess we'll never know. What is important to note though, was I right or what eh! Very Happy

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:58 pm
Site Admin
Here's a couple of plugins for Joomla:

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:20 am

Well the first steps were taken, and I decided I will never be a Joomla programmer or anything remotely CMS. I just don't have the mind for it. Details like i-dotting and t-crossing are beyond me. Programmers are different than me, and power to them.

So, I have put the idea out for bid to some developers who are coming back all fluttery and excited, now I have to raise money to build the thing because I don't have 13,000 handy.

I really hope it does not die on the vine.

Kelsey
Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:24 pm
Site Admin
Quote:
I will never be a Joomla programmer or anything remotely CMS.

Programming isn't required to use Joomla unless you intend to extend it or add functionality.

Also, whether you use a pre-built solution or have it custom made a CMS is exactly what you'll end up with.

Quote:
So, I have put the idea out for bid to some developers who are coming back all fluttery and excited, now I have to raise money to build the thing because I don't have 13,000 handy.

That sounds awfully high. What are the exact project details that people are bidding on?

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:39 am

HIGH!!!?? that was the lowest! I got a "Somewhere just north of $70,000" from one guy.

Kelsey
Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:30 pm
Site Admin
It sounds like you need little more than a searchable encyclopedia with ratings and comments.

If that's the case it would be silly to pay someone to re-invent the wheel when there is a boatload of free software already available.

Have you looked at wikis? MediaWiki has both comments and ratings extensions available.

You could install, configure, and be adding content to it in a matter of hours.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:36 pm

Is that a break in the clouds i see.. blue sky?

I made a friend online who may help so I will send him these links and see if he can make lots of it.

I work a regular sort of job now so the hours to do this are harder to find.

Thanks for the tip, I may call on you some more. I hope this is what i need, I am pretty down about getting this done, it seemed like such a good idea.

The Third Element
Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:48 pm

That looks pretty much like what I had in mind. The part that remains a mystery to me is the installation and configuration part.

I have D/L'd the installation stuff and am looking it over. Thanks very much, you may be onto something here.

Kelsey
Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:26 am
Site Admin
Provided that your host meets the minimum system requirements installation is little more than filling out some fields on a web form.

The install guide is pretty comprehensive.

If you have any particular questions or concerns feel free to ask. I have more experience with this sort of stuff than I need.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:14 am

Feeling a bit humbled... okay... I know my host has the required substructure - PHP5, and getting it onto the site is now within my sphere of ability, but after that I am getting lost fast, but I learn pretty quick and this stuff seems to make more sense than the Joomla stuff.

Stay tuned Kelsey, I really appreciate your offer and may indeed have to touch with you about this. It definitely seems way shy of a $14,000 bill being asked though, as you suggested it would?

Onward... let's see what come of the next few days.

Thanks

Home arrow Forums arrow Feedback & Support arrow ratemyunion.com
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: